Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 C4s Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 AM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installing a set of Yokohama AD08s next week. I'm not much of a track guy but I'm planning a full season of autocross and some street driving.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ish993
How do you guys feel about the Michelins PS, PS2 or the Pirelli PZero
I don't think you can find Pilot Sports much anymore.

PS2's are EXCELLENT tires, if you want to spend the premium. This would be my first choice if $$$$ was not an issue.

But the advice (good advice) the guys are givng you, is that you can purchase 90-95% of the PS2's performance for about 50% of the price.

If you don't car about how much you are spending on your tire selection, most certainly purchase the PS2's.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Just to clarify Tire Rack rated the Continental Extreme Contact DW ahead of the PS2 in 2010. In 2011 they rated the Super Sport ahead of the Continental. You cannot get the Super Sport in OEM size for the C4S...Michelin has no scheduled production date for this last time I checked. Not saying Tire Rack is the end all subject matter expert but they do provide reasonable test data that I have no way of replicating myself.

From my perspective the DW is better than the PS2 if you primarily drive on the street.

OP said he had bad results with a cheaper tire before...would be good to know which tire that was.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ish993, just had a set of Bridgestone SO2's installed a couple of weeks ago. After a few hundred miles, so far so good.

For your reference, here's a link to Porsche's current approved tires.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...sanddownloads/

Scroll down to "overview summer tires classic vehicles and youngtimer"
Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SeattleAllroad
Installing a set of Yokohama AD08s next week. I'm not much of a track guy but I'm planning a full season of autocross and some street driving.
COOL! Are you going to do PCA Auto-X? S3 is very competitive!! 1st event is this Saturday.

IMHO, it's the "best" Auto-X tire for our area that fits our cars!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:20 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Yep, I'll be there. Although, my week is pretty ugly and I may not get the tires installed before Saturday.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
Can anyone comment on how the Hankooks V12 are after some usage say approx 50-60% tread left?

I've heard they can get loud, although very quiet in the beginning.

On my previous Boxster I ran Continental Extreme DWs, they were great value, excellent in rain/dry and very quiet even after 2 years even though it was running an aggressive alignment.
Originally Posted by race911
Not that I can tell. As I said above, I flipped them side-to-side (same rotational direction, of course) due to slight, slight inner edge wear.
Hankook fan here, have 225/295 set up oin the car now. Hit the wear bars on the inside of the rears at 13k miles(running about 1.8 degrees neg camber out back). Not much uneven wear actually, maybe a few mm. I used to flop the tires off the rims and reverse years ago with my Audi. I used to be able to stretch a set of BFG Comp TA's for almost 30k miles that way.

Maybe I'll consider it mid life of these rears.

I highly reccomend the Hankooks, inexpensive, very good grip on all conditions, wet and dry, quiet-at least I think they are..Stage lll's ya know. They wear well also.

My tire of choice at the moment.

I care little about what tire Porsche reccomends for my 15 year old car. I care even less about spending $450 PER rear tire.

Good luck
Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Joe, I agree with you 100% sir I'm very happy with my hankooks, I also run 225's and 295's...
Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Very positive comments for the Hankooks, I know a few years back they scored very well in auto magazines too.

I'm def going to try at set when my tires are due for replacing.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

If I recall correctly, aren't Hankooks and/or Sumis made by Michelin? I recall hearing that many of these 'lesser' brands are actually made by top-teir tire manufacturers.

That's a pitch the lesser brands use to sell their tires. In most cases "private brands" tires are made by major manufacturers but they are usually product lines that have been discontinued under the major brand label (older technology / compounds) and moved to a lower price point.

In the case of Michelin and Hankook, Hankook is its own brand with its own factories.

At one point, Michelin owned a 10% interest in Hankook with an eye towards buying the whole company to position themselves better to take advantage of the growth in Asian markets.

They have since divested themselves of Hankook and gone in a different direction.

In terms of products, Hankooks and Michelins have no relation.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scott watkins
Ish993, just had a set of Bridgestone SO2's installed a couple of weeks ago. After a few hundred miles, so far so good.

For your reference, here's a link to Porsche's current approved tires.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...sanddownloads/

Scroll down to "overview summer tires classic vehicles and youngtimer"
Thanks for the list, much appreciated !
Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ish993
Michelin is probably the way to go for me, but I will check out the others mentioned.

Thanks for everyone's input
Originally Posted by doberdog
This should have been the question...

Many have given good input but you don't sound open to it.
I appreciate EVERYONE's input, but honestly the best tires, best fitment is more important to me then the lowest price tires.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SeattleAllroad
Yep, I'll be there. Although, my week is pretty ugly and I may not get the tires installed before Saturday.
Cool, hope to see ya out there! I'll be in my C4 with the # 993 on it.

Don't worry all that much about the tires, this weekend is going to suck, & not sure they will help all that much.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
+1 for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS-2s. Ride, handling and build quality are phenomenal.

I don't agree with putting cheap tires on a 993. One blowout or flat and your $1200 wheel is toast.

My Volvo V-70R had the Sumitomo HTZs on it when I bought it and IMHO they are harsh, noisy and poorly built (one has a leak). Can't wait to get those tires off the car.
Which one, II or III? There's a very big difference.

I'm using III's (235/285) and I like them, but I have nothing else to compare to (other than snows.) I really can't complain; 2+ years and 30k+ miles and they still have plenty of life.

I won't make this w/e's Auto-X, but I should be at the next one.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Which one, II or III? There's a very big difference.

I'm using III's (235/285) and I like them, but I have nothing else to compare to (other than snows.) I really can't complain; 2+ years and 30k+ miles and they still have plenty of life.

I won't make this w/e's Auto-X, but I should be at the next one.
Yea, II's SUCK, III's good

I hope you make it out! We need more 993's there, to keep the Boxters in check (they are our main competition). It's great bragging rights when you beat a GT3, or 997 TT.

Quick Reply: 993 C4s Tires