Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with coupe, DAS Rollbar, and racing shells...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Gotcha, thx. Yeah, I had to strong arm the cab bar just a bit as well. Eventually found a groove (move this way first, get the bolt in, then do this way, get that one...rest fall in after that.

BTW...can you keep the lower bar installed and still use the seats if a kid is in a car seat?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

It would probably depend on how far the car seat sticks out and how tall it is. Because the bar sits on top of the transmission tunnel right in front of the rear seats. It's about 3-4" above the seat cushion.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
If your front seats don't tilt forward, can you still install the DAS coupe rollbar without removing the front seats? I get you still have to remove the rear seat backs.
you probably can, but the time spent removing the seats, (15 - 18 minutes), will save you more than that during the DAS install.
i had to use the included frame jack to wedge the bar in place for final bolting.
No way i could have done that easilly with seats installed.

craig
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

^^^Lucky you! The one I was installing had the bars a little stretched and I had to lean and push on it for a good hour to make it fit

BTW did your Avant arrive yet??
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You got to remove one seat, to install & remove. If not you will trash your seat. Aftermarket shell seats are super easy to remove, just unbolt them from the floor & they weigh 1/3rd less then stock seats.

Yea, getting everything aligned & bolted can be more of a PITA then getting the bar back there.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 AM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

With the passenger seat removed, the bar itself is a fairly easy install. Bolt it in loose on one side and it isn't much effort to strong arm the other side in.

I have cursed many a time at getting access to and mating the allen bolts to the nuts on the seats, but having recaro or similar shells does make the install easier... if only because they are easier to lift in and out of the car.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yikes. It seems the bars have a lot of variability in them. Here's hoping mine is a good fit. I don't relish taking that in and out several times a season with a freakin' jack in the back...
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

It's easiest to to install a DAS w/ both seats out, especially the first time. But it's possible to do it w/ just the passenger seat out.

The first time is the hardest as whatever alignment it had before shipping gets all discombobulated during shipping. Be prepared to have to use some real force the first time it's installed in your car.

After the first time it gets installed and takes the proper set it will be a snap to re-install as long as it's treated w/ a little respect when it's out.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Yikes. It seems the bars have a lot of variability in them. Here's hoping mine is a good fit. I don't relish taking that in and out several times a season with a freakin' jack in the back...
variability = yes indeed.

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
After the first time it gets installed and takes the proper set it will be a snap to re-install as long as it's treated w/ a little respect when it's out.
Interesting.
Do think criving cycles and minute frame flexing alters the DAS bar geometry "to fit" individual installations?

Craig

Quick Reply: For those with coupe, DAS Rollbar, and racing shells...