Had my worst Auto-X run ever yesterday, & got it on video

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Had my worst Auto-X run ever yesterday, & got it on video

http://contour.com/stories/run3-spins

First auto-X of the year, the track had a constant river of water flowing down it. It was raining, windy, cold, it was just a bad day. There was also green slim growing on the track.

This is my 3rd run. I wanted to go "fast" ended up almost going off course, then spinning 2x. In the pits I was running the fan & seat heater to keep me warm, & keep the window form fogging. I ran the battery down a bit. Whne I stalled the first time, on the restart the car just gave me the clicking sound ARGH!

Still ended up winning my class & getting the top 3rd time of the day.
http://contour.com/stories/run-4-fastest
Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that was WET and it looked very very slick.
On the 2nd spin if you had kept your foot on it a little I think you could have pulled off an amazing 360 and told everyone it was intentional

Do you find the Contour GPS information useful?
Cool vid, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Cool video. Man that was slippery. What tires where you running?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool vid. Thanks for sharing. BTW: Next time you run in the wet, you might want to leave your slicks at home. : )
Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

That sure was slippery!!

Judging by the soundtrack, both of your spins were caused by lift-off oversteer.
You first power the tail out, then get scared and lift your foot and it's a goner...
Try to keep your foot on the gas next time and just unwind your steering wheel to make the necessary correction.
That said, auto-X:ing in the rain is a great way to learn how to drive these beasts!!

Ps. We should be able to send the ECU to you in a couple of days.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Wow, that was WET and it looked very very slick.
On the 2nd spin if you had kept your foot on it a little I think you could have pulled off an amazing 360 and told everyone it was intentional

Do you find the Contour GPS information useful?
Cool vid, thanks for sharing!
I started to slide before the spin, there was a nice puddle there that just gave me 0 traction to counter. I did have opposite full lock, & tried to steer out of it. It was just me trying to "go fast" & carry way to much speed through the slalom.

Yea, I like the GPS info. I can tell where I'm going fast & slow. Also see where I can go faster. This was my first time playing with it Auto-Xing. I really want to get others to use one so I can compare data. Sadly, they turned off the 4 sample/second setting, so the resolution is 1/2 of what I thought it would be. I like the mapping feature, on my laptop, the map & speed is real time, & much more detailed. There is a program that will sync it on the video & also use my other data logger (non-GPS) so I can do G's accel/decel overlays on the video.

Originally Posted by FisterD
Cool video. Man that was slippery. What tires where you running?
Worn AD08's.

Originally Posted by Juha G
That sure was slippery!!

Judging by the soundtrack, both of your spins were caused by lift-off oversteer.
You first power the tail out, then get scared and lift your foot and it's a goner...
Try to keep your foot on the gas next time and just unwind your steering wheel to make the necessary correction.
That said, auto-X:ing in the rain is a great way to learn how to drive these beasts!!

Ps. We should be able to send the ECU to you in a couple of days.
The first was a braking zone, that went through a 6in or so deep puddle. Keeping my foot in it would only have made it worse.

In the second, it was already lost before the spin. I was caring to much speed through the solemn to make the gate. It was caused by keeping my foot in it.

As I said, this is my 5th year Auto-Xin the C4, & only the 2nd & 3rd time I have spun it. I beat GT3's & 997.2 TT's by keeping my foot in it all the time!

I ran the morning group out of my class (it was a practice) due to having far fewer people then normal to cover working assignments. The afternoon group got almost no rain & a far dryer track. A lot of people were running Hoosier wet tires, me on street rubber managed 3 fastest for the whole day. The other 2 cars are modified cars, & not in the stock class like myself.

Results for the day...
http://scorekeeper.wwscc.org/results/pca2012/1/post

I also let my friend use my camera he has a 2004 GT3, got him by a couple seconds.
http://contour.com/stories/gt3-4
Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Couple of thoughts, Mike.

You are getting progressively late on slaloms. I understand that there's no traction, but you'd have to give up a bit on entry or in the middle in order not to be late on 3-4th cones. Because when you are late you can't accelerate out of it. As a matter of fact, I think your second spin started right around the last cone of the second slalom. If you were on the back side of that cone instead of on the front, you would be able to accelerate as you did without spinning there. At least it's my opinion from dry 85F Miami Beach after a short dip and a couple beverages

First spin is fairly obvious. That little traction... things get pretty random.

Muttering "Sh*t" to yourself upon hitting the first cone of the run ( ) can actually turn to be a good tool - I usually get p'd off enough and start really driving after that since the run is lost anyway.

The course seems fairly simple, probably set up specifically for rain. I can show a few of our courses for comparison. But this point here is that a 993 should not be able to compete with faster cars on a course like this. So it's good to hear that your times were up there in the top 3. 914 taking top time among all the faster machinery by 2 seconds doesn't surprise me one bit.

PS. If you end up in Boston in April-October you're more than welcome to co-drive with me if there is an event going on. It'll be fun

Last edited by nile13; 02-19-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nile13
Couple of thoughts, Mike.

You are getting progressively late on slaloms. I understand that there's no traction, but you'd have to give up a bit on entry or in the middle in order not to be late on 3-4th cones. Because when you are late you can't accelerate out of it. As a matter of fact, I think your second spin started right around the last cone of the second slalom. If you were on the back side of that cone instead of on the front, you would be able to accelerate as you did without spinning there. At least it's my opinion from dry 85F Miami Beach after a short dip and a couple beverages

First spin is fairly obvious. That little traction... things get pretty random.

Muttering "Sh*t" to yourself upon hitting the first cone of the run ( ) can actually turn to be a good tool - I usually get p'd off enough and start really driving after that since the run is lost anyway.

The course seems fairly simple, probably set up specifically for rain. I can show a few of our courses for comparison. But this point here is that a 993 should not be able to compete with faster cars on a course like this. So it's good to hear that your times were up there in the top 3. 914 taking top time among all the faster machinery by 2 seconds doesn't surprise me one bit.

PS. If you end up in Boston in April-October you're more than welcome to co-drive with me if there is an event going on. It'll be fun
I was entering the slaloms too hot, trying to carry some speed. I felt behind it, usually I'm in front of it. Most of the time, I'm going WOT before the last cone, not after it. My second spin started before the last cone, I lost traction on the 2nd slalom cone & the car was already rotating away from me. I tried to catch it, but was going to fast.

The first cone, I didn't actually hit. I SLID into it, the car was sliding off the track & I was just watching it happen. I caught it about 2ft from going off course. Again, trying to carry too much speed into the crossover, & the car just went it's own way. When it's dry, I throw the car into that section, & am WOT the whole way across.

This whole run was me just trying to be "fast" & I got my lowest time, might be the lowest time of the day. I hear ya, most of the time, when I hit something, I'm mad, & go into the "red mist" & floor it the whole way.

This was a simple course, the condition would not allow anything more. They get much more complex as the sun comes out.

I will be in Boston this Summer, I'll let you know when, & hopefully it will coincide with a Auto-X!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds good, Mike. Let me know when you fly in

I actually don't go into an absolute red mist. For some reason I start pushing the car and really concentrating and get my best raw runs after hitting a cone early. Been trying to bottle that and make myself do the same thing without hitting a cone. Sometimes it works. But what I find is that I like comfort way too much and usually refuse to push to the limit, which is needed in order to be competitive above local level. I simply cost in a bunch of places. I know it, other know it...

It ain't easy. 13th season of this damn addiction starts in April.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Sounds good, Mike. Let me know when you fly in

I actually don't go into an absolute red mist. For some reason I start pushing the car and really concentrating and get my best raw runs after hitting a cone early. Been trying to bottle that and make myself do the same thing without hitting a cone. Sometimes it works. But what I find is that I like comfort way too much and usually refuse to push to the limit, which is needed in order to be competitive above local level. I simply cost in a bunch of places. I know it, other know it...

It ain't easy. 13th season of this damn addiction starts in April.
Sure will! It's a family visit, so I might have to bring some spectators. Of course you also have a open invite over here! There is a Auto-X going on somewhere every weekend.

I don't always get red, only when I'm doing really well, then mess up. I have found that trying to just do the course, & not be fast, makes me the fastest. I'm a aggressive driver (grew up in Boston, learned to drive there )
My runs go like this, 1st usually fast, but not hard, get a ok time, second go for it, get a good time or top, 3rd try to be fast, & loose it, 4th get my top time. It's almost always run 2 or 4 that do it for me, 3 is almost always a throw away, as that is my experiment run, to set up run 4.

When it gets dry, you will see me push the car, & go for it! :thumb up: Can't wait to see how the video turns out, I hit redline sometimes.

My class here has a national champ in it, some times there is less then .5 sec between 1-4th place. The competition is high & fierce. You can't leave anything to chance. Lately we have been pushing so hard, that we have been beating the higher S4 class, like this last one, S3 would have taken 1,2nd in S4.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, there's plenty to see for spectators and if it's a PCA or BMW autocross they can be passengers. Or they can hang around Boston until we come back. Either is a good alternative

As far as aggression - I have spoken to a number of faster people over the years and came to conclusion that aggression is absolutely paramount. In other words, i'm not aggressive and I'm pretty competitive locally. But not above that level. To the faster guys "win or spin" actually has a literal meaning. It's that edge I've been trying to find for years without much success. Sometimes this is more frustrating than golf (or so I'm told)

On the other hand, I'll have 0.56 of PAX advantage on a 70 second course over the main rival - a GT3-RS - this year due to him being in new SSP and my lowly appliance in CSP. Last year it was only 0.28 and he nipped me. I went as far as re-calculating last years's results based on 2012 PAX. I would have had him for the season. Addiction, I'm telling ya.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=nile13;9295970]
As far as aggression - I have spoken to a number of faster people over the years and came to conclusion that aggression is absolutely paramount. In other words, i'm not aggressive and I'm pretty competitive locally. But not above that level. To the faster guys "win or spin" actually has a literal meaning. It's that edge I've been trying to find for years without much success. Sometimes this is more frustrating than golf (or so I'm told)
QUOTE]

+993, well said! Not that I'm always one of the faster guys necessarily but I always tell people, "spin to win"...I guess I should flip it around and say, "win or spin" as that makes more sense

Cool video, Stealth. It's rare we get a rain day in SoCal but the handful I've raced in have been an absolute blast...trying to push the limit and be ready to catch the car at any given time is a tough balance!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Mike, there's plenty to see for spectators and if it's a PCA or BMW autocross they can be passengers. Or they can hang around Boston until we come back. Either is a good alternative

On the other hand, I'll have 0.56 of PAX advantage on a 70 second course over the main rival - a GT3-RS - this year due to him being in new SSP and my lowly appliance in CSP. Last year it was only 0.28 and he nipped me. I went as far as re-calculating last years's results based on 2012 PAX. I would have had him for the season. Addiction, I'm telling ya.
Cool, I'll send you a PM when we are going over!

Agression has never been my problem, I'm learning that I get a better time when it's dialed down a little. Yes, there has been lots of frustration, luckily I know feel comfortable with the car, & know where & when to push it.

We got a pesky GT3 as well, him & a very well prepped RS America usually get TTOD. With out any pax timing, I usually beat the stock GT3's, unless it's a fast open course, then they just spank me, just don't have the acceleration.

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
+993, well said! Not that I'm always one of the faster guys necessarily but I always tell people, "spin to win"...I guess I should flip it around and say, "win or spin" as that makes more sense

Cool video, Stealth. It's rare we get a rain day in SoCal but the handful I've raced in have been an absolute blast...trying to push the limit and be ready to catch the car at any given time is a tough balance!
Guys, I'm driving a C4, it's really, REALLY hard to spin. I have done a few AWD drifts, & get the tail sliding a lot. My co-driver (no Porsche friend) spins it quite a bit, but he more aggressive them me, & his times are usually 1.5sec or more behind me. Sadly, we get 2-6 wet days out of the season. The practice is always wet, the last couple are always wet. This year it was more of a flowing river then just being wet. I really should have taken some pics of all the water flowing, & the big puddles right around the apexes.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

This little pic is called "Serenity". Or, alternately, "Sunday morning drive":

Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

This little pic is called "Serenity". Or, alternately, "Sunday morning drive":

Mike do you run a Miata? I had one for a while (1995-96) great car, just not enough power! I'm sure it will be a shock coming from a 911.

Quick Reply: Had my worst Auto-X run ever yesterday, & got it on video