Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Koni FSD updates?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Koni FSD updates?

I know a few people have purchased the Koni FSD shocks and I'm looking for updates on there ride and handling after using them for a while? These have only been available for a couple of years, so has anyone got feedback, the archives are limited to initial impressions.
I'm thinking of these along with my m030 springs and Walrod bushings. The kit only comes with the shocks, anything else that I need to buy to get them installed? Will the ride height be effected?

Last edited by doberdog; 02-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

PM Rinty and ask. He has had them for a while now.

They're what I'll be going with as they have advantages that I like and don't have the issues of some other shocks.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All of the other reviews of them sold me (a search found me several posts). Have a set on order with Tire Rack and they expect them soon. I went with M033 springs as I didn't want the harsher ride for these New England roads (towns with budget difficulties = poorly maintained roads).
Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We have them in stock now if you're interested:

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/2100-4112.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 02-12-2012, 12:15 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

I just looked at pic from Paragon. Ride height is non adjustable?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:18 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed them, along with ROW springs on a 95 coupe. I drove the car for a few thousand miles before I sold it to purchase a 97TT. I was very pleased with the firm yet compliant ride. The buyer resides in NE so he likely had to put it in hibernation shortly after purchase or I expect he would be chiming in here. I was not looking for a track weapon set up, although I did do one track day where I learned once again that the 993 has capabilities waay beyond my own. The advice I got, which I'll pass along, is to get a proper corner balance with proper kinematic toe adjustment. Spending money on Porsches is the most fun shopping I do....Chris
Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I just looked at pic from Paragon. Ride height is non adjustable?
Correct. I was considering them also until I found this out. I don't plan to change the ride height often if at all, I do want the ability to deal with it if scraping becomes an issue though.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by coreseller
Correct. I was considering them also until I found this out. I don't plan to change the ride height often if at all, I do want the ability to deal with it if scraping becomes an issue though.
Well if you run the stock springs, you'll get the North American ride height.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PO above put them in, and I've run them for a couple thousand miles on ct roads that aren't the best. I like them a lot, running on cup 2's I have not had any issues.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I have had mine for over 3k miles. Paired them with M033 springs. The roads are pretty bad in Dallas and I find the ride quality very comfortable. I just added new Hankook Evos and the ride quality improved even more. Handling is fine since I don't track the car. I have been unable to break the car loose on any spirited runs. For my driving style they are perfect. If you want a track suspension there are other options that are probably a better bet.

Last edited by csmab; 02-13-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM
doberdog

So, if I stick with my current springs, the ride height will stay the same?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:58 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you have fully threaded shocks where you can lower or raise the ride height, your height is set based on the springs. So yes, if you use FSD (or any other regular shock) and keep the same springs, the ride height will be the same. Alternatively if you do what many of us have done, which is to buy ROW (lower) springs, then you'll get that ride height. I didn't want RS height, just a modest lowering that came stock on all 993 sold in the world except for here in the US. Once mine are installed and set (fronts are adjustable to get it just right and corner balance left to right) that will be it.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Well if you run the stock springs, you'll get the North American ride height.
Yes I ordered ROW MO33 Springs also.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM
tarbender
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the HD Bilstein shocks and M030 shocks put on my car and am happy with it. I was expecting a much harsher ride but it wasn't that much different from the stock. Height is a little lower but hardly noticeable. Roads are not the best here in Ontario with the harsh winters and maybe the M033 would have been a better choice. No complaints though. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can put my summer wheels back and really try out the springs.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
doberdog

Originally Posted by tarbender
I just had the HD Bilstein shocks and M030 shocks put on my car and am happy with it. I was expecting a much harsher ride but it wasn't that much different from the stock. Height is a little lower but hardly noticeable. Roads are not the best here in Ontario with the harsh winters and maybe the M033 would have been a better choice. No complaints though. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can put my summer wheels back and really try out the springs.
I had the m030 and HD's on my last car but I found the ride too choppy over uneven roads. As many have noted here, the initial dampening on the HD's is harsh. I'm looking for something that provides a sporty feel but is more compliant over uneven pavement. BTW- My technician thinks the m033 is better for cabs due to the extra body flex compared to a coupe.

Quick Reply: Koni FSD updates?