Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Koni FSD updates?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got notice my set just shipped today from Tire Rack, so should be here tomorrow. Still winter here, but as soon as it warms up and the roads are clear of "salt", I'll be getting my M033 and Koni FSD installed.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doberdog
I had the m030 and HD's on my last car but I found the ride too choppy over uneven roads. As many have noted here, the initial dampening on the HD's is harsh. I'm looking for something that provides a sporty feel but is more compliant over uneven pavement. BTW- My technician thinks the m033 is better for cabs due to the extra body flex compared to a coupe.
+1
ROW M033 + HDs are a good all around combo for coupes also (with street use as primary focus)
especially on the rougher roads found in most states... And some countries
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was inquiring about FSD for my other car because their web site was listing conflicting info. Their email to me said FSD don't work well with lower springs. I am not sure if this apply to P cars.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:49 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

FSD is a perfect match for ROW ride height for the 993. Mine arrived today - great price and service from TireRack.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 AM
P-track
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hn
I was inquiring about FSD for my other car because their web site was listing conflicting info. Their email to me said FSD don't work well with lower springs. I am not sure if this apply to P cars.

Gert from Carnewal suggested FSD with M033 lowering springs as a good replacement for my monroe setup. So I hope that they are not talking about the 993 here! I wil email the Koni headquarters here in Holland and let you know.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. I haven't bought them yet but eventually I'll have to decide which one.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
P-track
Rennlist Member

Just received an answer from the sales rep from Koni Holland. This was their answer (translated from dutch).

"As long as the lowering springs do not lower the car more than 30mm from standard there are no issues. However, as the FSD's are tested on the basis of a standard ride height vehicle, lowering springs will influence the FSD system operation. This effect is negligable."

So I guess this means in case of FSD and M033 springs you are fine. Although you will go down 40mm from US ride height, it's only 20mm lower than ROW.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:40 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P-track
Just received an answer from the sales rep from Koni Holland. This was their answer (translated from dutch).

"As long as the lowering springs do not lower the car more than 30mm from standard there are no issues. However, as the FSD's are tested on the basis of a standard ride height vehicle, lowering springs will influence the FSD system operation. This effect is negligable."

So I guess this means in case of FSD and M033 springs you are fine. Although you will go down 40mm from US ride height, it's only 20mm lower than ROW.

I was under the impression all ROW springs had the same ride height (therefore any ROW spring would be at "standard" ride height)? Am I mistaken?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM
P-track
Rennlist Member

I called my Porsche mechanic to get things clear. He used to work and test for Koni, he emailed me this table:

Applicabe to narrowbody 993 and RS:

ROW standard = baseline ride height used for testing
M033 and M030 ROW = 10 mm lower in the front, 20mm lower rear compared to "ROW standard"
US standard/M030 = 20mm higher front, 10mm higher rear compared to "ROW standard"
RS= 30 mm lower front, 40 mm lower rear compared to "ROW standard"

As long as you keep the ride height within 30 mm from "ROW standard" you are fine. On a US ride height vehicle you can go down as much as 50mm in the front and 40mm rear.

Hope this makes sense, do correct me if I am wrong!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:16 AM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, thank you! I was not aware there was a ROW "standard" spring in addition to the M030/M033, good to know..
Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Here's a chart. From Tall to Short I believe it's:

US Std. or M030 (my perceived base)
ROW, -20mm front / -10mm rear
M033 (lowering) or ROW M030 (sport), -30mm front / -20mm rear vs. US
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Zack:

I've had another season with the FSDs since my initial impressions, and I continue to be impressed with them. Our main trip last year was to the Going to the Sun Road in Montana, which featured a variety of road conditions, including some stretches of road under construction. The write up is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ip-report.html

Please note that my springs are M033s, not M030s. They are great shocks for long distance touring, IMO.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:46 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tarbender
I just had the HD Bilstein shocks and M030 shocks put on my car and am happy with it. I was expecting a much harsher ride but it wasn't that much different from the stock. Height is a little lower but hardly noticeable. Roads are not the best here in Ontario with the harsh winters and maybe the M033 would have been a better choice. No complaints though. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can put my summer wheels back and really try out the springs.
Originally Posted by Rinty
Zack:

I've had another season with the FSDs since my initial impressions, and I continue to be impressed with them. Our main trip last year was to the Going to the Sun Road in Montana, which featured a variety of road conditions, including some stretches of road under construction. The write up is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ip-report.html

Please note that my springs are M033s, not M030s. They are great shocks for long distance touring, IMO.
Great to know and thanks for the feedback, this is the route I'll be going later this spring. I have new wheels and tires, going to get these shocks, plus Walrod bushings an alignment and should be good to go...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I had ordered them, but didn't want to wait the 6 months or whatever they were backordered last year. I really appreciated Jason's honesty about the lack of concrete info on shipping, but it sounds like that is past.

I've got the Bilstein HD/MO33 combo and it is great. Many of our roads in Calif ain't so hot. Oops, I admitted I've got the shocks with "issues".

PS-If you know what you're doing when you install, there are no "issues" with Bilsteins.

If you don't tighten lugnuts when you put wheels on, they have "issues" too.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Rinty
Drifting

...this is the route I'll be going...doberdog
I think these would be just what is needed for spirited runs on the Duffy Lake Road.

Quick Reply: Koni FSD updates?