Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got the Inventiva Lic Plate Holder and DDM Tuning HID's installed 2day w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Finally got the Inventiva Lic Plate Holder and DDM Tuning HID's installed 2day w/pics

Due to 100% negative responses to my jury-rigged license plate holder, I went to another Rennlister's house today who lives in my general area and he was kind enough to help me install the Inventiva License plate holder instead of my zip tied version I posted here 2 months ago that I was so proud of.

Yeah, it might have looked like crap to most of you, but my neighbor and I were proud of our "outside the box" DIY work we did. I'm sure you remember this winner...

Classy, right? Ok, so maybe not so much so.

Turns out my left headlight that was out for a while, and then was blinking constantly when driving for the past few month (driving me and other drivers crazy) turned out to be a loose connector. We figured that out today when the headlight was out and the connector was loose. I had already purchased the new kit from DDM Tuning for $45 so we just installed it anyway. 7 years ago HID kits were 7X more expensive than they are now.

The culprit - it someone got loose over time. It was on my car for 7 years and must have worked itself loose from aggressive driving )

Connecting wires and removing the old, huge balast

A sight I wasn't familiar with - an empty light housing. I found today that our front light assemblies are huge, heavy and bulky when removing them from the car

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

http://www.inventivaconcepts.com/gallery.html

The ballasts are now installed so it's time for the license plate holder install

Getting there

Yeah, I guess this does look better than the previous work my neighbor and I did

Yahoo! Success.

Lights, camera, license plate...

Better than zipties for sure

This red '95 is one of the cleanest one's I've ever seen. Not a ding on the body or speck of dirt on the car and the engine was clean enough to eat off of

Super clean garage

A very successful DIY day and made a new friend in the process.

It's true what they say about Rennlist. It's actually more about the people here, not just the cars. Metal and rubber comes and goes - friendships can last a lifetime.

FYI -for you local MD/DC/N. VA folks, another Rennlist Meet and Drive is tentatively in the works for Sunday 4/22/12 at 10am in Rockville again.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 01-15-2012, 12:23 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

P-Daddy FTW!

Andreas
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

OK. Someone please explain to me how this looks better than a regular OEM license plate bracket.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Sorry, but I'm with Mike on this one.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:16 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Me three. The factory plate looks nicer IMHO.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't burst his bubble. Its like telling a new mother her baby looks ugly.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

all I did is drill holes in my plate to align with the existing mounting points for the OEM license plate holder, a couple of nylon inserts and attached the plate directly to the front. I bent the plate a little so it conformed to the curve of the front bumper. quick, easy, cheap, (inserts were about 0.30 each)

all I did was put some electrical tape around the edges and across the back.

it ain't rocket science.
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2012, 03:20 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

what is wrong with the solution I had on my Targa, and now on the Turbo?

Cheers,

Mike

PS. Yeah, I know, it likely not legal in most states, and not even here where I live, but (knock on wood) have not been pulled over for it yet.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If that's rust in the headlight cavity, you may want to address it before it becomes an issue.

Name:  rust.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  51.4 KB
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Boy you guys are a bundle of joy!....

Steve, it looks great, I really like it.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Boy you guys are a bundle of joy!....

Steve, it looks great, I really like it.
I agree, none of the solutions is perfect .. it's a matter of taste (and legality) for many of us. Good on you for just sticking with it and kudo's to your neighbor :-)
Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
OK. Someone please explain to me how this looks better than a regular OEM license plate bracket.
I can't.

The only mod I'll make to my OEM setup is to bond some small 1/16" stainless steel plates, curved to the inside curvature of the bumper, to the bumper. Each will have a square hole for the plastic mounts with built-in expander nuts to get a better grip of for zero play.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 282 Posts

Steve,
It was a fun afternoon, hanging out in the cave working on your 993 and shooting' ****. I'm glad we were able to resolve your HID issue quickly and easily with the install of a new kit. IMHO, this plate mount looks best of all other options out there, without any worries from the authorities here in the DC metro area. My car was a little jealous, I think. It didn't get any attention the entire afternoon of DIY. My winter DIYs are still ongoing, and hopefully completed before Spring.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I like Mike J's solution best of all, but I think the Inventiva holder doesn't take away from the front bumper line the way the OEM bracket does. If I had to run a front plate and didn't have a turbo bumper, I'd go this route.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree, if think if you have to mount the plate on front, and do not want to cut the plate, then the Inventiva at least puts the plate below the centerline of the bumper. Having the plate on the bumper is the worse solution - it just looks tacked on.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Finally got the Inventiva Lic Plate Holder and DDM Tuning HID's installed 2day w/pics