Sponsored by:

'95 plug wire change supprise x4 help/advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:12 AM
alenz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 plug wire change supprise x4 help/advise

I started my plug wire swap tonight on my '95 993 (85k mi) thinking I'd finish in the morning. But, ran into a few issues.
#1. following the directions from pcarworkshop (thanks!) does not work exactly on '95. '95 has more wire holders on the fan shroud. In pic #1 below there is one wire holder I just cannot get to. Do I need to take the intake off to free this one?
#2. in same picture looks like it is leaking where the red arrow is pointing. how can this be leaking. there should not be oil here, right???

#3. In the 2nd picture there are two plugs that are not plugged in anywhere. These are directly under the heater blower. Does anyone know what these are for?

#4. and maybe more important/ scary. picture #3 shows burned wire. not sure what to do here... Remove Intake and replace, wrap with black tape,
Looks like there are 4 brown wires together.

Thanks for any/all input!!!
Andrew
Attached Images    
Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by alenz
#1. following the directions from pcarworkshop (thanks!) does not work exactly on '95. '95 has more wire holders on the fan shroud. In pic #1 below there is one wire holder I just cannot get to. Do I need to take the intake off to free this one?
Hello Andrew: There are two types of 993 intake manifolds depending on year of production.
One is the varioram intake system that came on late 993 engines, and the other system is what you have. Some DIY's are carried out on later engines, but apply to both systems with slight changes. The sparkplug wire change is one of those DIY's that apply to both, and the wire holder you are talking about is the same. But on a varioram model, accessibility is not the same...

#2. in same picture looks like it is leaking where the red arrow is pointing. how can this be leaking. there should not be oil here, right???
Yes and NO. Practically every intake system in an engine has an oil return line where oil vapor is injected into fuel air mixture for several purposes, mainly lubrication.
There is no precise control of the amount of oil vapor that is injected in the air intake, but all givens constant, oil will eventually accumulate a little in the base of the inlet air exchanger after 10 years. Sometimes an oil overfill will result with the same oil stagnation even in low mile cars. There is a small consensus here where owners fill the oil tank to the middle of the manual gauge, and result is no excess oil in the intake...

#3. In the 2nd picture there are two plugs that are not plugged in anywhere. These are directly under the heater blower. Does anyone know what these are for?
These two plugs serve two vacuum solenoids on the later Varioram intake versions of 993's. The same engine electric harness was used for all US and ROW engine versions. For your engine version, these plugs were left astray in the engine, and there are other plugs left alone on middle top of engine as well.
#4. and maybe more important/ scary. picture #3 shows burned wire. not sure what to do here... Remove Intake and replace, wrap with black tape,
Looks like there are 4 brown wires together.
There has been a known defect in the 993 engine harness in early models, and porsche recalled 993's and swapped engine harnesses in the US. the TSB is on Pcar.
Either your car qualifies for the swap, and thats great news.
If it doesn't qualify, IMHO, you should change the harness.
To change the harness, you could buy one from Porsche with the 000 043 204 61 part number ($100ish)
On the varioram version, I have changed the wiring harness, and I needed the engine
to be dropped on the floor, to neatly do that.
The only part where the engine needs to be dropped is the starter cable connection.
maybe someone on the forum has done the swap on an early 993 version with engine in car, hope he chimes in so that you will have all alternatives
regards

Last edited by geolab; 01-02-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Excellent response, George!

Andreas
Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

I don't think I have any record of my wiring harness being changed but was told it was. How do I find out if it was done?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

I started my plug wire swap tonight on my '95 993 (85k mi) thinking I'd finish in the morning. But, ran into a few issues.

In pic #1, there is one wire holder I just cannot get to. Do I need to take the intake off to free this one?
Actually there are probably two wire holders you cannot get to; the two center ones.

I just replaced my ignition wires last winter. The following is a recommendation made to me on RL which I did not employ. You do not have to take the intake off, but you do have to loosen the six intake clamps at the spigots and them pivot the whole intake assembly upwards.

After 15 years of oil mist (which is why you have some on your connecting piece between the manifolds) and dirt, I couldn't get myself to go the fast and dirty route (best left to shops) and removed everything above the cooling shroud. This gave me excellent access to those wire holders as well as everything else, while also giving me a chance to clean every single part in the process. Obviously, this wasn't a twenty-four hour job, but it did provide an excellent opportunity to inspect everything.

I also found two rubber lined clamps that hold the main wiring harness and fuel line in place where the rubber had simply crumbled away. Those were replaced.

All very easily done with the engine in place.

Geolab was spot on regarding his replies...ie: I have those same two unused connectors.

BTW, if I was going to repair that wire, I'd use high quality heat shrink or self sealing rubberized electrical tape. Electrical tape is not the way to go. Mind you, if it is a ground wire, its not going to short to anything.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:21 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
I don't think I have any record of my wiring harness being changed but was told it was. How do I find out if it was done?
as per TSB:

If a wiring harness with a production date of 05.01.1996 or later is found in vehicle,
the wiring harness has been replaced already and need not to be exchanged.
The production date is affixed to the wiring harness on the part number sticker,
in the left engine bay fuse box.

regards
Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Excellent response, George!

Andreas
Happy New Year Andreas

Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As others have said Geo was right on.

It looks like you have the updated harness. The original had all blue connectors for the injectors and the new style had 3 colors white, blue and brown. However I would probably want to change it for the $100 a new one cost's. I did mine while I had the engine out but if you disassemble the intake I think you could do it with the engine in. Attached is a pic from the TSB showing the part numbers of the old harnesses. You want to find a part number ending in .15

A tip on removing those wire holders if you don't want to take apart the intake is to take a long thin screwdriver and pop them out of the fan housing. You can remove the fan boot and give a push from the backside to help if needed. They are just expanding plastic holders and the fit is not as tight as you would think but it is just plastic in plastic. Then you can pull them toward you and unscrew the holders. To reinstall it is a little tricky to get them popped back in but just line them up and use a large screwdriver wrapped in a towel to pry them back in.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2012, 01:37 PM
alenz
Advanced

Wow GREAT info, THANK YOU geolab, IXLR8, rsr91128!!
I looked at the P/N on the harness and it is 993.607.016.15 so I have the new one. At ~$100 I'll buy 000.043.204.61 and try to install w/o engine drop. (P/N 993.607.016.15 harness is $900+. hopefully mine is good still)

Looks like I need to remove the intake to properly clean up the oil mess. IXLR8 great pictures. Looks like new!
more learning to come for me. I'm not going to get my car on the road as soon as I thought but it will be worth it.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Looks like I need to remove the intake to properly clean up the oil mess. IXLR8 great pictures. Looks like new!
Thanks to the Swish Facto AT30 water-based degreaser that I used.

Be careful around the element in the Mass Airflow Meter when cleaning the inside of that assembly...do not make contact with it.

More learning to come for me. I'm not going to get my car on the road as soon as I thought but it will be worth it.
If you have a digital camera, take lots of pics at every stage of dis-assembly. You can later refer back to them if you are unsure about something. I took lots of pics, so if you need some visual info at some point, PM me.

And in the end, it will be worth it for that feel-good feeling.

Note, check the two clamps near the oil pressure sender that hold the wiring harness and fuel crossover line.

Stuff some paper towel in each spigot and cap it off with a zip-lock bag and rubber band as shown in my pics.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Erik, I changed mine about 10K ago and those center holders drove me nuts too !!
I bought different type of flat ratchet screwdriver but nothing would fit.
I lost patience after an hour or so, and popped them out with the screwdriver. Just measure where the holder lines up relative to the wire so that you can screw it back on the new wire at the same distance. As Erik said then you just popped the holder back in, very easy to do.

Have Fun
Old 01-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

When I did mine on the 95 C4, the intake was still in the car, I just undid all the intake clamps, & help it up out of the way. PITA, yea, but I was able to get all the holder out & back in.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 AM
alenz
Advanced

Intake removed. Plenty of room for the plug wire change now. Replacing the wire harness is going to be a LOT of work. Found two more surprises.

#1. Anyone missing a 5mm allen socket?? I was... what the hell is that. no it can't be a allen socket!!!! you can see the burnt wire in this pic also.

#2. two cut wires on the right side of the engine bay. pic 2. What are these can you tell from just this picture?
Attached Images    
Old 01-03-2012, 08:12 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Two cut wires on the right side of the engine bay. pic 2. What are these can you tell from just this picture?
Can you cut the insulation back a centimeter and get back to us with individual wire colors?

Is that wire insulation in your 1st pic burned or chaffed? Confirm that it is a ground wire.

Yup, that 3rd pic looks awefully familiar...except for the dirt.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

With the entire intake removed, consider pulling the SAI system, flinging it into the trash, and fitting the cam tower plugs from Patrick Motorsports.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l-success.html

Andreas

Quick Reply: '95 plug wire change supprise x4 help/advise