Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Latest DIY on removing bumperettes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 AM
993::hb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Latest DIY on removing bumperettes?

I found various articles but would be great to hear how to best remove he bumperettes and how to fill the holes so it can all be painted and having the clean look.,

I noticed many cars where only the fronts were done but not the rear...any particular reason for this?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:12 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Do a search on the front bumperette removal. There are many discussions and how to's. For most people it's remove the bumper cover and off to the body shop with it. It can be done on the car, but the risk of having the car at the body shop is not worth it. Besides, there are other maintenance items that can be done with the bumper cover off.

Many 993 owners do the conversion to the turbo front bumper cover (no bumperettes) at this point and sell their original bumper cover.

The rear is the same drill.... remove the bumper cover and off to the body shop. That's what I did. It is a very clean look. There are two aluminum supports for the rear bumperettes that have to be removed - very easy with a Dremel grinder.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mike cap
Do a search on the front bumperette removal. There are many discussions and how to's. For most people it's remove the bumper cover and off to the body shop with it. It can be done on the car, but the risk of having the car at the body shop is not worth it. Besides, there are other maintenance items that can be done with the bumper cover off.

Many 993 owners do the conversion to the turbo front bumper cover (no bumperettes) at this point and sell their original bumper cover.

The rear is the same drill.... remove the bumper cover and off to the body shop. That's what I did. It is a very clean look. There are two aluminum supports for the rear bumperettes that have to be removed - very easy with a Dremel grinder.
Did you buy oem bumper or just fix the holes in yours? I already have the turbo front (c4s). Buying new bumpers seems expensive vs fixing the holes?

Trying to decide if i will fix the holes myself or let the bodyshop do it
Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

You have the turbo bumper which is great. Just pull it off and take it to the body shop. Same for the rear if you want the look cleaned up. I assumed you had a narrow body. Unless you have automotive painting skills, I would sub it out. They can fill the license plate holes at the same time.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

An alternative is to color match the bumperettes which is what I did. Bought an extra set so I could always put it back to stock. Plus you get to retain some of the protection they offer.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 385 Posts

I filled mine with the recommended filler and it worked out OK. If I were to do it over again, I'd find a plastic bumper cover repair place and have them "weld" in a filler piece of polyurethane bumper material, then use the filler. Simpler, faster and probably better.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Drive to body shop, drop off car, drive home.

Next week, pick up, no more bumperetts.....
Old 12-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not delete my rear because I think the rear bumperettes offer more protection, beside I like the way they look. I did delete my front.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Thanks - in europe they dont have them at all so i figured i will do the same. Other cars with painted bumpers don't have those silly things either
Old 12-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hb:

I had my car's front bumper done by a local high end body shop, and the proprietor told me the only proper way to fill the gaps is to weld in plastic. He cut the pieces from an old Porsche bumper.

I don't mind the rear bumperettes, and have left them on. They don't interrupt the flow of the body lines like the front bumperettes do.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:16 PM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided to remove the pads as well. I did it last Spring when I was having the rear pu resprayed anyways. I just like the cleaner look.

Name:  DSC00867.jpg
Views: 4633
Size:  176.0 KB
Old 12-31-2011, 05:25 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike cap
Just to clarify Mike's comment. If you go this route you want the European turbo bumper, the US versions still have the bumperettes.

Mike, that painted grill looks great btw. I think Porsche should have done this from the start.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:52 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the clarification - the turbo bumper has to be a Euro version. And thanks for the compliment on the grill. It is a nice look.

Quick Reply: Latest DIY on removing bumperettes?