993 Forum 1995-1998

Who makes Porsche's 993 Oil Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
There is nothing under the black sticker with PORSCHE etc on that is on the latest Purlator/Mann filters, just a black filter, no marks at all!

The Mahle/Knecht ones with PORSCHE on them are very old!
Yep, just peeled my label off and found nothing but pure black-ness.....although, I was mistaken when I said that only box said "Made in United States". The stick on label on the filter says "Made in U.S.A."....not sure how I missed that on the first inspection.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I agree, for the NA cars, no issues, but for the Turbos, use Porsche branded filters.

That combined with check valves on the turbos, and possibly p-trap type scavenge lines, should clear up any oiling issues with the Turbos.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
The one & only time I've seen smoke from the tailpipes was the day I picked the car up. The PO had not started the car for some time, and the smoke stopped within moments.

My engine is dry (57,XXX miles), and not a puff in 6+ years.

Andreas
Now you jinxed it!!

you are very lucky in this regard, I have not seen any cars that have not at least puffed sometime during startup, even if only once every couple of years. Your car is unusual.

Maybe time for a survey!! :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

Thank you for the clarification sir.
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD
Leaking/smoking issues seems limited to the turbo cars. I ran the Mahle/Mann filter as supplied by Autohaus on my '96 C2 the entire time I had it and never had a leaking/smoking issue, ever. However, I had some leftover from owning that same C2, so I used them on my turbo......now it'll leak and smoke a little if it sits too long. This is the reason I bought the OEM units from Sunset.

Personally, I think the Mann or Mahle filter are perfectly fine. There is just something about the check valve design (that was fixed in the OEM parts and not the aftermarket parts) that the turbos don't like.

Quick Reply: Who makes Porsche's 993 Oil Filters?