Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 redux - back to the fatherland (well, nearly)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011 | 01:43 PM
E_T
Instructor

Default 993 redux - back to the fatherland (well, nearly)

Sorry for the length of what turned out to be quite an essay, this is my first proper post after lurking around in here for quite some time: In July this year I thought my search was over, I had identified the exact car I had been looking for for a while, vital statics including low mileage (20 900) sports seats, LSD, sport suspension and so on (see the attached window sticker, should you be interested). This turned out in the end not to be the case, I was close, but pulled the trigger a little too late, given partly that buying sight unseen from a continent away certainly is not for the faint of heart. I got close, though. So close in fact that the seller, Ace Autosports in Virgina, had agreed to take the car to Lüfteknic for the PPI. In the end we never got that far, as the car was sold to another party literally the day before my PPI was scheduled. Oh well, the hunt had to continue, but I was one disappointed first-time Porsche owner that day.

A week or so later I contacted Richard Sloan in CT, to see if he had anything in the pipeline not yet listed on his site. I was hesitant to approach sloancars, I must admit, partly because of his aggressive pricing policy, but also because of the mixed reviews in here on doing business with him. Turns out he has picked up the exact same car I was looking at in Charlottesville, price now hiked up somewhat, but the one I thought got away was back in the game. To make this part of the story short - we arrived at a price, I got a new PPI done, got a copy of the previous one done a couple of weeks prior, and was confident enough to go for it.

Quite a nerve wrecking thing for me to do, given that I managed (or not) this entire process from my current location in Vienna, Austria. Done deal. If anyone is interested in fresh details on doing business with Sloan (topic has already been extensively discussed on RL), do not hesitate to PM me. Key word: Hyperbole. I got stories, experienced lack of precision despite agreed actions in writing, and lack of post-sale communication. I will not repeat it, and I think I was lucky, as the car is great. Now. Despite all fluids NOT being changed, contrary to what was agreed, tailgate and bonnet gas struts shot (surprisingly not pointed out by either PPI), dampers pretty much shot, tires to be replaced due to age replaced by even older and non-match ones... The list goes on.

After an arduous and drawn out process, including delays caused by hurricane Irene (or so I was told), car sitting in Bremerhaven in Germany for weeks on end waiting for transport consolidation, back and forth with German and Austrian customs, adjustment of blinkers, replacement of lights and adding of rear foglight (EU requirements), the car was FINALLY approved on Monday, and I got the plates and insurance sorted out today. Very late in the season and weather getting nasty over here now, but tomorrow I simply have got to drive it, no matter what.

Lots of time and money spent, and lessons learned. Most important is to get yourself a competent local helper, if you are planning on importing a car to country that you are not too familiar with (I´m not from here, and my German is shaky, at best), this makes all the difference in the wold.

Car is as good as it looks, though, I really could not believe my luck when I first saw it. Seems clean inside and out, very little to object to, it many ways it appears to be new. Not had a chance to take pictures of my own yet, but here are some from the respective ads that I based my purchasing decision on.

Thanks guys, and sorry again for the length of this post.
Attached Images      
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Old 11-25-2011 | 01:46 PM
E_T
Instructor

Oh, a couple of upcoming projects: New dampers, got to get some good advice from Gert on the matter. Not sure yet what I will do about the ride height. The bumperettes have got to go, and i am drawn to the Porsche Classic Navi Radio.
Old 11-25-2011 | 01:56 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

You should get in touch with Johannes Huber in Vienna; Porsche enthusiast, top club racer and owner of a leading shop that sells ands services air cooled Porsches. A friend of mine and all around good guy. PM me if you can't find his shop. Looks like you ultimately got a great example of a 993!
Old 11-25-2011 | 02:16 PM
E_T
Instructor

Thanks, deadhead, I will! Thanks a lot for the tip, does he have a company I can google and find? Was think of this only earlier today, i.e. to find an independent shop to help me out. Does he speak English? My German is not really up to it.
Old 11-25-2011 | 05:26 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by E_T
Does he speak English? My German is not really up to it.
Yes he does; just tell him "Jay from NJ" suggested you call. Website below.

www.hwev.at
Old 11-25-2011 | 06:33 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Sweet looking car. Looks super clean and stock. I don't think anyone on the forum ever minds lengthy posts. In general, the more detail the better (as long as pictures are provided). Congratulations! You will be happier when you lower the ride height I think. The stance just looks better.
Old 11-25-2011 | 06:47 PM
E_T
Instructor

Thanks a lot, I've hardly had time to look at it, or drive it, got the plates today and will take it for its first drive tomorrow, even if the weather is nasty and I got it really late in the year. I need to do something with the ride, but I have had my hands full just getting it here, so we're looking at a spring project for that one.
Old 11-25-2011 | 07:33 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

E_T, I'm surprised they allowed red turn signals in EU. Other than that, looks like a nice car.
Old 11-25-2011 | 07:33 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Burning Brakes

Car looks great, welcome and enjoy your new ride.
Old 11-25-2011 | 10:16 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

ET, looks like you purchased one very nice car. Everything looks very clean. May I suggest first mod is suspension. Then second mod is Fister III
Old 11-25-2011 | 10:24 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

What a story. You are a REAL 993 enthusiast!...
Old 11-25-2011 | 10:35 PM
cp993C2S
Advanced

Looks great...nice job.

You'll see many suspension discussions and the choices are numerous. I purchased a ROW M033 set of dampers and springs from Gert...too soft. Switched to Bilstein PSS10's, which are perfect for this car...not harsh yet very well damped.

Have fun!
Old 11-25-2011 | 10:53 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Then second mod is Fister III
There are very strict noise guidelines in Europe and Austria in specific. I don't believe the Stage II would pass, let alone the III
Old 11-25-2011 | 11:44 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Jay,
Seriously? Stage 2 is very mild, slightly louder than motor sound. What about all those exotics like lambos and f cars? I've heard them in stock form. In terms of decibels, they are equally loud or louder than Stage 2.
Originally Posted by deadhead1960
There are very strict noise guidelines in Europe and Austria in specific. I don't believe the Stage II would pass, let alone the III
Old 11-26-2011 | 04:25 AM
E_T
Instructor

Thanks guys, as for the red turn signals these are pictures out of the ads in the US, i.e. before the turn signals were changed to the orange EU ones, I just have not had a chance to take any pictures of my own yet.

As for mods my wallet needs to recover a little before I venture down that road, but it is certainly a project for the spring, I have seen quite a few of the discussions here on the issue. I want a nice compromise, the Bilstein PSS10 options is definitely one to consider. As for Fister - I need to see if it is passable here, the car is eventually designed to go to Norway, where noise guidelines certainly won't be more lenient than in the EU.

Quick Reply: 993 redux - back to the fatherland (well, nearly)