Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 RS Steering Wheel Installed - wiring photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm also interested in a set of female connectors, so if anyone has part numbers or can source multiple sets, count me in on the order and I'll reimburse.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:24 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I acquired a used clockspring from ebay when I installed my Momo Prototipo and harvested the two connectors.

996.652.211.00 or 993.652.211.00

Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

^^ I'm resigned to doing the same. Quite a premium to pay for a couple pieces of plastic.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:45 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a "broken" one at much less than the ones lately posted.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:22 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

^^I did the same - $30. In the big scheme of things, its nothing and i"m happy to be moving on with the wheel install, and having it fully reversible.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I decided to go the eBay clockspring route for the connectors, too. At least we're doing it right, LOL
Old 05-14-2017, 09:45 PM
bukowski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished my install and while removing the original steering wheel I managed to break one of the mounting tabs on the stock clock spring. If anyone needs a donor to cut up for a Cup steering wheel install I will let it go for $40 shipped!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 AM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI 996 and 986 boxster clock springs are the same as ours.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:49 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Very nice write-up on all the issues to do the most factory like least invasive solution.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:27 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI: I recently met a fellow doing a "black box" setup for GPS controlled exhaust sound reduction to use at Laguna Seca. He wanted to measure voltage at the solenoid on my RS. He used a home made (extension) jumper to plug into the harness connector for easy voltage measurement. I asked him where he got the harness connector plug for his jumper. More or less "off the shelf" of the electronics world. This leads me to believe that Porsche harness connectors may NOT always be "design specific". Just say'n... :roll eyes:

Additionally, in a previous post, I commented on a horn that sometimes will not work. Relay and airbag mount replaced. I assume that bag and horn circuit function thru rotation of clock spring? Could one work and not the other??? Thx!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Thank you for this writeup, I just completed the upgrade a few minutes ago. Lessons learned, stupid mistakes, and random notes from my experience:

Disassembly:
-Suggestion: before you remove the 24mm nut which holds the original steering wheel, make sure to center the straighten the wheel and mark top dead center on the column shaft with a marking pen. This will help ensure that the new steering wheel is put on straight during the reassembly process.
-I didn't realize, at first, that the column shroud has screws on either side of it holding the top and bottom halves together.
-You don't have to remove the column shroud to access the 8mm bolt that holds the switch assembly to the column. There is a hole in the bottom of the shroud that allows access to loosen the bolt.

Reassembly:
-The original clockspring mechanism (the donut looking thing with the wires) that is removed isn't reinstalled. It becomes spare parts to be set aside with the 4-spoke wheel & airbag, in case you want to revert to stock. I know to most that this should seem obvious, but I did have a few moments of doubt during reassembly because of initial "adjustment" issues (I saw an ~1" gap between the horn and hub contact surfaces)
-The shroud/switch assembly can be completely reassembled, then the steering wheel installed, before adjusting the shroud/switch assembly. The assembly slides up and down the column, which is how you can adjust to ensure the steering wheel hub & horn switch contact surface sufficiently meet....this is why that 8mm bolt is there, to allow for this sliding adjustment (~1" of front to back movement!). I had no idea this kind of adjustability was designed into it. Pretty cool.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr.Woolery:
NB 993 (05-09-2022), s2racer (04-16-2022)
Old 05-30-2017, 04:39 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI the connectors are unique in the sense that if you look at how they differ from each other you cannot install the horn connector to the abs and vice versa.

so they are unique connectors not off the shelf..
Old 07-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 364 Posts

A HUGE thanks to Tosi for this great install thread! I purchased a cup steering wheel from Gert at Carnewal. Gert has a really great kit specifically designed for our 993's. Gert was kind enough to email some installation instructions, but this install thread really made it all clear. So clear, in fact, that I opted to do the install at my local wrench's shop so he could help with the wiring and make sure I didn't screw up. A big thanks to Bill P. at Eurotech.

I'm posting a few pics of the install below, but there isn't much I can add to this great thread. I highly recommend the kit from Carnewal, and a careful read through this thread. All the kit from Carnewal lacks is the connector for pin 71. You also need to harvest wire connectors from a clock spring - your clock spring or someone else's. If you're planning this install, I would also suggest purchasing the 964 steering column covers for better fit and finish. Part nos. 96455227301 and 96455227503. I'm still waiting for those parts, so I will have to reinstall the wheel again.

The feel of the steering wheel is incredible, and the extension and smaller circumference is also a big bonus for us tall guys. If you're running with harnesses and don't need and airbag, I would highly recommend this mod.

Note pin 71 is not populated

Resistor to fool airbag diagnostic

Pin 71 is now populated.

It takes a little force to snap the ground into pin 71

Wheel installed (And a sneak preview of the Tillet seats!)
Old 11-22-2017, 04:58 PM
woohoosocal
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Help!

I can’t get this Momo 7004 hub I purchased from Pelican to line up with the L-shaped horn contact so that the horn will work. I got the intermittent horn honk when turning the wheel so I know I have power.

What hub will work??? Where can I get one???

Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:45 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

The 7004 hub is the correct part. Is it greased by any chance? Maybe that's what preventing it from making contact on a constant basis. Clean it up w alcohol and try again.

Quick Reply: 993 RS Steering Wheel Installed - wiring photos