Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

en·thu·si·ast noun \-ˌast, -əst\

Definition of ENTHUSIAST
: a person filled with enthusiasm: as a : one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit <a sports car enthusiast>
b : one who tends to become ardently absorbed in an interest

Examples of ENTHUSIAST
<skiing enthusiasts can't wait for the first snowfall of the season>
First Known Use of ENTHUSIAST 1570
Related to ENTHUSIAST
Synonyms: addict, aficionado (also afficionado), buff, bug, devotee, fan, fanatic, fancier, fiend, fool, freak, habitué (also habitue), head, hound, junkie (also junky), lover, maniac, maven (also mavin), nut, sucker
Antonyms: nonfan

Well, there are only three reasons to own any car, isn't there?

#1-Basic Transportation

#2-Status

#3-See above definition

I seriously doubt that too many folks buy a Porsche for basic transportation. We all know that #2 is responsible for the actual production of the Cayenne, and Panorama.

Well, for me...and I suspect many, MANY on here, #3-being an enthusiast is what drove me to the Porsche marque. I have childhood friend's that tell me I talked about 911's in grade school...that would have been the early 70's.

Nothing looks like a 911, nothing sounds like a 911, nothing drives like a 911,and nothing smells like an old aircooled 911. If you fall into category #3, how in the hell can passion, and some sort of attachment NOT happen?

Joy can be truely found in damn few things in this life. Family, religion, friends, hobbies, and for some...dare I say it...work. My affection for my car comes after family, and my hobby-cycling. My family thankfully shares my enthusiasm for the pcar, and I use the car to transport my bikes everywhere I go. For me, it's been 18 months of incredibly satisfying ownership, and almost 20K trouble free miles.

I am mere weeks, maybe days away from having to put it away for the winter here in Central New York. Yes, I will miss driving "her"

And yes, "she" has a name, it's Misty(Arctic Silver-Arctic Mist). My 9 year old(at the time) daughter gave her that name, as she does with every car/truck that enters our ownership.

Anyway,if you own one of these classic Porsche's and feel no sense of attachment, I simply feel sorry for you.

Then again, maybe it's just the status thing your after.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
en·thu·si·ast noun \-ˌast, -əst\

Definition of ENTHUSIAST
: a person filled with enthusiasm: as a : one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit <a sports car enthusiast>
b : one who tends to become ardently absorbed in an interest

Examples of ENTHUSIAST
<skiing enthusiasts can't wait for the first snowfall of the season>
First Known Use of ENTHUSIAST 1570
Related to ENTHUSIAST
Synonyms: addict, aficionado (also afficionado), buff, bug, devotee, fan, fanatic, fancier, fiend, fool, freak, habitué (also habitue), head, hound, junkie (also junky), lover, maniac, maven (also mavin), nut, sucker
Antonyms: nonfan

Well, there are only three reasons to own any car, isn't there?

#1-Basic Transportation

#2-Status

#3-See above definition

I seriously doubt that too many folks buy a Porsche for basic transportation. We all know that #2 is responsible for the actual production of the Cayenne, and Panorama.

Well, for me...and I suspect many, MANY on here, #3-being an enthusiast is what drove me to the Porsche marque. I have childhood friend's that tell me I talked about 911's in grade school...that would have been the early 70's.

Nothing looks like a 911, nothing sounds like a 911, nothing drives like a 911,and nothing smells like an old aircooled 911. If you fall into category #3, how in the hell can passion, and some sort of attachment NOT happen?

Joy can be truely found in damn few things in this life. Family, religion, friends, hobbies, and for some...dare I say it...work. My affection for my car comes after family, and my hobby-cycling. My family thankfully shares my enthusiasm for the pcar, and I use the car to transport my bikes everywhere I go. For me, it's been 18 months of incredibly satisfying ownership, and almost 20K trouble free miles.

I am mere weeks, maybe days away from having to put it away for the winter here in Central New York. Yes, I will miss driving "her"

And yes, "she" has a name, it's Misty(Arctic Silver-Arctic Mist). My 9 year old(at the time) daughter gave her that name, as she does with every car/truck that enters our ownership.

Anyway,if you own one of these classic Porsche's and feel no sense of attachment, I simply feel sorry for you.

Then again, maybe it's just the status thing your after.
very clever, but ultimately false.

What about the person that enjoys aggressive driving and needs a tool to do so?
Wouldn't that be category four? Said person can enjoy a vehicle without exactly being enthusiastic about sports cars in general.

In light of this category, the rest of your post is moot.

Why in gods name would you feel sorry for me? its great not having an attachment. I can sell it with no regret, if it gets stolen, I'm not gonna cry, I can drive it whenever I want, including the winter, without worrying, and I can generally treat it like "just a car" without another thought.

As for the status thing...If that were the case, I'd have bought a Ferrari F355 or 997.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:02 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't love cars. I don't get infatuated by cars. I came to the States with $112 in my pocket 25 years ago so don't think anything had been handed to me

Cars are pieces of metal. Some of them are more fun than others. My autocross Miata is approximately 84% more fun than either of my 993s. Other 20 or so cars I've owned in the last 25 years had been more or less fun. As were other 1000 or so that I've driven at that time. But I don;t love them.

I can appreciate old technology of a clanking contraption going down the road when it seemingly has no business doing so. I can really appreciate the sculpture-like looks of 1930s Alfas. I can appreciate the absolute control required by a race driver to be on a hairy edge. I can marvel at the fact that my 1995 $70K car is as basic by today standards as my first 1980 Corolla was in 1995 and how time and technology march on. But I don't love cars and never will. They are replaceable hunks of metal. That will never love you back, no matter what you think.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:04 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as "patina"...

Patina is not a flaw. The dent I got in my door in the parking lot is not patina. But a series of dents acquired over 20 or 30 years can add to patina.

It is a term for something that is well aged. Think of wine, or a steak at Mortons - they have been subject to aging and deterioration - and they are better for it. It may include flaws such as dents and faded paint, but it is much more than that. It is a charateristic that develops over time and cannot be replicated. There have only been a handful of cars that I have seen that have had a well-developed patina . Yes, I prefer new-looking cars, but as I get older, I begin to appreciate things that look their age. For example, two weeks ago at our cars and coffee, there was an older Jag XJS. The wooden dash had a series of cracks that I thought looked beautiful. Was it a flaw? Yes, but I would term it patina.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

The very fact that you are here and post as much as you do shows an above average level of enthusiasm for your car. If you have trouble with that you're in denial.

Judging by the nature of many of your posts, you like to stir the pot. I can appreciate that. A thread such as this is confirmation. Stir away!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:06 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

My 993 is a POS.

Andreas
Old 11-23-2011, 05:07 PM
cbcc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daddy's Money

Agree with most posters. He who lives on Daddy's money or the slobovian account simply does not have an appreciation for things. I have learned a life lesson -Happiness is in the pursuit not necessarily the acquisition . Doing your own maintenance, working hard to achieve success and appreciating craftsmanship is what I strive for. Just acquired a 95' 993 carrera - Fabulous!!
I also fly a WWII Aeronca L3 - hand prop, no electrics and a blast.
Koko 2819
Old 11-23-2011, 05:11 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
I can marvel at the fact that my 1995 $70K car is as basic by today standards as my first 1980 Corolla was in 1995 and how time and technology march on.
I marvel at this too.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:11 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe, I got a quick question for you. Based on the definition you quoted above, would you call a heroin addict an enthusiast?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
My 993 is a POS.

Andreas
Only yours
Old 11-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by nile13
I don't love cars. I don't get infatuated by cars. I came to the States with $112 in my pocket 25 years ago so don't think anything had been handed to me

Cars are pieces of metal. Some of them are more fun than others. My autocross Miata is approximately 84% more fun than either of my 993s. Other 20 or so cars I've owned in the last 25 years had been more or less fun. As were other 1000 or so that I've driven at that time. But I don;t love them.

I can appreciate old technology of a clanking contraption going down the road when it seemingly has no business doing so. I can really appreciate the sculpture-like looks of 1930s Alfas. I can appreciate the absolute control required by a race driver to be on a hairy edge. I can marvel at the fact that my 1995 $70K car is as basic by today standards as my first 1980 Corolla was in 1995 and how time and technology march on. But I don't love cars and never will. They are replaceable hunks of metal. That will never love you back, no matter what you think.
agree big time

Originally Posted by vincer77
As far as "patina"...

Patina is not a flaw. The dent I got in my door in the parking lot is not patina. But a series of dents acquired over 20 or 30 years can add to patina.

It is a term for something that is well aged. Think of wine, or a steak at Mortons - they have been subject to aging and deterioration - and they are better for it. It may include flaws such as dents and faded paint, but it is much more than that. It is a charateristic that develops over time and cannot be replicated. There have only been a handful of cars that I have seen that have had a well-developed patina . Yes, I prefer new-looking cars, but as I get older, I begin to appreciate things that look their age. For example, two weeks ago at our cars and coffee, there was an older Jag XJS. The wooden dash had a series of cracks that I thought looked beautiful. Was it a flaw? Yes, but I would term it patina.
Very rarely do these sorts of things look good. The front of my car is sandblasted to hell. I would NEVER, under any circumstances, call that patina.

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
The very fact that you are here and post as much as you do shows an above average level of enthusiasm for your car. If you have trouble with that you're in denial.

Judging by the nature of many of your posts, you like to stir the pot. I can appreciate that. A thread such as this is confirmation. Stir away!
I generally post here because it keeps me entertained at work (by stirring the pot, which you guessed correctly).

I generally prefer tech threads and do lots of eye rolling when it comes to the "ooowwwmiiiiigawdddd, I love this car, its part of teh family, will never sell it, best thing ever, pinnacle of porsche, etc" threads come around.

If I don't have many tech things to post about, you get these threads.

Originally Posted by AOW162435
My 993 is a POS.
Andreas
Never said it was.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbcc
Agree with most posters. He who lives on Daddy's money or the slobovian account simply does not have an appreciation for things.
I find this to be a pretty shallow statement. Simply put - how do you know? Put in more perspective - how do you think art evolved if not for love of some pretty reach people capable to actually appreciate and love it the way no first-generation self-made nouveuriche can?

I have learned a life lesson -Happiness is in the pursuit not necessarily the acquisition .
That's just a cliche. Happiness is being content with what you'v acquired (see "marriage" and other small human endeavor things like that).
Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I'm not sure why the money thing is harped on. There is a difference between appreciating what you have, the value of a dollar and so forth, and being obsessed with a material possession.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:59 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

Whether you agree or disagree with the post it does insight thought and conversation.

I recently drove a Superleggera and just before I got in I asked the co-pilot who was a professional racer what he thought of the car. He said mechanically it is fantastic, it's fast, precise, and has great brakes but the car lacks soul. After my drive I asked him what he meant by lacks soul and he said when I drive a Ferrari or a Porsche I feel the pride the engineers and designers put in to the car, he said I feel an emotional connection to the heritage and the track. As weird as it sounds and maybe total BS I didn't enjoy driving the Lambo nearly as much as my Porsche or similar Ferrari's like a Scud or 360 CS.

Is that emotional connection or just better engineering to create feel? Probably the latter but I can't deny that the feel was different.

As for emotional attachment to cars. I buy and sell them all the time, I like some and really like others. I do believe a car can provoke emotion and feelings but different emotions than emotional interaction between living things...people and pets etc.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a little emotional thinking about the fact that I was able to get a used car that appears and feels like it was custom made for me and my co-pilot: exact ext. color (silver), interior color (black), badge delete, ss door sills, hi-fi stereo w/10 disc changer, 12-way power driver's seat, 18" Turbo Technology wheels, Tiptronic S (yes I actually love 2 pedal cars), etc etc. There isn't a single aspect of the car's design that I would have differently: size, space, power, braking, steering, climate control, cockpit, ride quality. It's like a dream

Quick Reply: Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?