Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Just drove a guards red Cayman R...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:53 AM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just drove a guards red Cayman R...

Amazing car...this probably pops up every other week but i am asking it anyway...should I replace the 993 with the cayman r?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:40 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how was it? I read it all the time in Excellence. Cayman R vs GTS etc. They like it so much. How much are used ones?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:50 AM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that Cayman is quite a car. I drove a neighbor's and really liked it. But I bought a 993. However, the fact that you're asking the question may mean that you're ready to move on to something else.

Let's say there are two kinds of people in this world:

#1 likes to switch cars at least fairly often and gets bored with them after awhile. This is the person who should buy the Cayman and then something else later and greater, etc.

#2 tends to bond with their cars and keeps them a long time making them kind of like a part of the family. They want something unique and don't mind a few quirks. This is the 993 man. And on the financial side, there's few if any better affordable cars than a 993 for holding its value.

So drive a Cayman or two. Then get yourself a fifth of Jack Daniel's and a box of cigars. Come nightfall sit yourself down and start smoking, drinking and thinking and don't get up until you've made a decision. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by utahrock
Well, that Cayman is quite a car. I drove a neighbor's and really liked it. But I bought a 993. However, the fact that you're asking the question may mean that you're ready to move on to something else.

#1 likes to switch cars at least fairly often and gets bored with them after awhile. This is the person who should buy the Cayman and then something else later and greater, etc.

#2 tends to bond with their cars and keeps them a long time making them kind of like a part of the family. They want something unique and don't mind a few quirks. This is the 993 man. And on the financial side, there's few if any better affordable cars than a 993 for holding its value.

So drive a Cayman or two. Then get yourself a fifth of Jack Daniel's and a box of cigars. Come nightfall sit yourself down and start smoking, drinking and thinking and don't get up until you've made a decision. Good luck!
I was just wandering why the mag found it so good. My car is a beast now with a 4l kit, ITBs, LWF, Pauter rods. I just had a fire so its in the garage. I dont think I will sell the 993 and get a Cayman.

Well Bill V. mentioned in the Pelican forum a Cayman Interseries overtook him easily. But thats a race ready car.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a CAyman S (2006) and really liked it alot, especailly with some mods that brought it up to 325 hp or so plus suspension. *(about CAyman R in most ways except weightt). Anyways, spectacular car in almost every way. I would love to have a Cayman R.

*993 is stil THE one for me however. When I get richer I will have to add on but there is no substitute for what I have got.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I found the Cayman to be a bit claustrophobic inside, at least compared to my wife's 993 Targa.

The newer Porsches just lack the sounds that I associate with a Porsche...from the sound of the engine to the sound of the door closing. It seems most of that was lost after the 993.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:06 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a '96 993 4S....AND.....a '07 Cayman S. They are so different and I appreciate them both for many reasons. Ego-wise, I sure get more looks in the 993. Everything about the handling and ride is better in the Cayman. It's very practical as well with so much storage capacity and hatch flexibility. It's obviously a more modern car with better interior quality and switchgear, etc. It sounds good when you get on it, but not as nice as the 993. My Cayman is pretty much a pampered daily driver and track/DE car. My 993 is my super pampered Sunday driver that looks so darn cool I can't get myself to sell it. My wife thinks I just have to have a "Carrera" to make me feel good. Some day I will be faced with selling one and I am in a quandary. The 987 is worth less each day. The 993 is holding it's own.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Nautilus
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradB
Everything about the handling and ride is better in the Cayman.
I am curious about what would be the reason for that. I mean, do you think it is down to the fact that the Cayman is a mid engine car or down to a stiffer chassis/more modern suspension?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

if you like it, buy it. There will always be a nice 993 around if you change your mind.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by utahrock

Great post.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:14 AM
analogman
AutoX

Traded Cayman S for my 993C4. Best decision I've ever made. Cayman and all the new ones feel a bit VAG inside. Surfaces that peel, lots of questionable plastic. Interior of 993 just feels true Porsche to me. Pedals out of the floor? Doesn't get cooler than that.
Oh yeah, did you get a chance to see the motor? No quick way to undo multiple torx fasteners. I like to see my motor and the oil. Brakes didn't feel amazing on Cayman either.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:33 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

buy both! I love the combo...I got the Cayman S before the R was out, but have modded it sufficiently to be a mini cayman R and its an excellent car, street and track.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by analogman
Traded Cayman S for my 993C4. Best decision I've ever made. Cayman and all the new ones feel a bit VAG inside. Surfaces that peel, lots of questionable plastic. Interior of 993 just feels true Porsche to me. Pedals out of the floor? Doesn't get cooler than that..
don't forget wooden floorboards ...
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I haven't driven a "R" but just a S.

They are very, very good cars, fast, nimble, agile, everything works as it should. However, for me, it feels very tight in the drivers seat. The engine is so smooth & quiet, I can't tell the difference from idle or redline. The steering while being very quick, doesn't have much feel or feedback. For me it was had to drive fast, as I really had a hard time "feeling" the car. This was on a track, & I was flogging it.

Again, great car, very modern, but that is both it's asset & downfall.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:42 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

apples to oranges ... I'd like the pear

Quick Reply: Just drove a guards red Cayman R...