Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

9m93 Speedster S #4 - disassembly begins

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes .... here's the picture I stole from one of Jäger's thread posts .. it's from a magazine article about the car ... but it doesn't prove that the clamshell opens or if there's even a top under it ...

^^ edit .. Looks like Geolab has the juice ... :-)

^^ double edit ... Turbo Tail makes this car look extremely heavy and unbalanced with the clamshell 'hump' forward of it ... how much added expense would it be to re-locate/engineer rear quarter intercoolers? Would you also add some additional chassis stiffening in anticipation of the added torque twist?

Last edited by JPP; 11-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

As I said.... to spoil or not is a matter of taste.

To be fair JP I agree with you on the engineering front and was going off what Marc had said regarding a rear spoiler, however getting the clamshell working over a turbo lid is one thing, making it look good is a whole new ballgame. I'm deeply sorry, but nobody can tell me that a spoiler looks good on a 993Speedster as it ruins the purity of the lines of the car. OK, I agree that we cannot really apply Charles' description of "a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend" (unlike your ex-pram handle) but the fact remains that the turbo lid sure ain't pretty. However if that is the only way to house a fully functional turbo mill, so be it.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:30 PM
RichiRich
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

The Turbo version of the Speedster doesn't look as bad as I thought with the rear spoiler, but I prefer it without.

As for colours - how about the same colour orange as the original 996 GT3 (not sure what it's called); viper green is always nice; speed yellow; and how about the pearlescent green colour found on the Ford Focus RS? Though if it was me, I really like JPP's Arena Red Speedster!!

Just to be different, what about more classic colours and combos like the early slate grey over red, olive over tan
Attached Images    
Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

One of the observations from RennSport Reunion that Marc commented on was the comparative love of green across the Pond compared to the UK, which we think can all be attributed to some random comment in the 1970s by a RAC (Royal Automobile Club) official who stated that green cars were unlucky and involved in more accidents than other colours. It's a bit like saying silver cars are unlucky nowadays when half the cars on the road are now silver. At the time nobody thought to mention that there were more green cars on the road than any other colour, but by then it was too late.

So whilst Chartreusse is another RS colour that I like, I also know that it's just not going to happen.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:12 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RichiRich
The Turbo version of the Speedster doesn't look as bad as I thought with the rear spoiler, but I prefer it without.

As for colours - how about the same colour orange as the original 996 GT3 (not sure what it's called); viper green is always nice; speed yellow; and how about the pearlescent green colour found on the Ford Focus RS? Though if it was me, I really like JPP's Arena Red Speedster!!

Just to be different, what about more classic colours and combos like the early slate grey over red, olive over tan
I love all three of these idea's ... but my tastes have been called 'dodgey' in the past .. I REALLY like the olive green 356 Speedster and just look at those door gaps! Yummy! and thanks for the kind words ... SpeedArena is blushing, although it's hard to tell .... When I was visiting Colin and friends last April, one of Colin's neighbors had just gotten a new Ford Focus in that electric green color and I think the general consensus was a big Thumb's UP on that
Old 11-04-2011, 02:21 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice project....again.....Colin ;-)

I think your very right in not wanting a "intercooler housing bonnet extension thingy" spoiling the lines of an otherwise beautiful car. As far as colours go imo RS's should by all means wear in your face war paint, personally I'd like my speedster to be more subtle;

Black / saddle-brown, RS buckets (loved the black 964 speedster in Wayne's world ;-) )

Polar silver / cartier red, RS buckets

Now where's my cheque-book?!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:16 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Back to the matter in hand, shell now completely stripped and on the Celette jig ready for the new boot floor.

At the end of a frustrating week, Marc took time out to clearly demonstrate his deft bodywork techniques with "big Bessie". For those officionado's of the programme Father Ted, this reminds me of Dougal's line to FT after he had battered his Rover to pieces in order to get out a parking dent: "you know what Father Ted, you're just a complete perfectionist" (or something along those lines).
Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2011, 04:19 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by evoderby
Nice project....again.....Colin ;-)

I think your very right in not wanting a "intercooler housing bonnet extension thingy" spoiling the lines of an otherwise beautiful car. As far as colours go imo RS's should by all means wear in your face war paint, personally I'd like my speedster to be more subtle;

Black / saddle-brown, RS buckets (loved the black 964 speedster in Wayne's world ;-) )

Polar silver / cartier red, RS buckets

Now where's my cheque-book?!
The shell is already Polar Silver, but that aside you got it in one Harald. Get out your cheque book and you can have it any colour you desire, my friend!

Have a great weekend folks!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
As I said.... to spoil or not is a matter of taste.

To be fair JP I agree with you on the engineering front and was going off what Marc had said regarding a rear spoiler, however getting the clamshell working over a turbo lid is one thing, making it look good is a whole new ballgame. I'm deeply sorry, but nobody can tell me that a spoiler looks good on a 993Speedster as it ruins the purity of the lines of the car. OK, I agree that we cannot really apply Charles' description of "a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend" (unlike your ex-pram handle) but the fact remains that the turbo lid sure ain't pretty. However if that is the only way to house a fully functional turbo mill, so be it.
Colin, have you seen the chargecoolers on the new BMW M5? These would be perfect for the job handling 560 HP as standard: http://www.ausmotive.com/2011/05/18/...t-of-gold.html

Lotus Turbo Esprit chargecoolers are another good option when a more compact design is needed for, these still easily handle 250HP per bank.

Quick Reply: 9m93 Speedster S #4 - disassembly begins