Sponsored by:

Define Exotic

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Define Exotic

I had an interesting discussion with a BMW M3 owner the other day.

He felt that the 911 lineage was in the exotic class. I never really felt that any of our 911s were in the same category as a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston or Carrera GT, which I consider to be exotic.

So it got me thinking, what DOES qualify as an exotic?

is it performance?
Quantity?
Cost?

...How do YOU define an exotic car, and is the 911 exotic?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

A car that needs a full-time support staff. That would exclude the Carrera GT ....
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like a lot of these things there isn't a definitive definition and it's often up to the beholder. Similarly, what's an antique? What's a classic? Some clubs have well defined definitions but they aren't necessarily universally applied. In general, exotic to me means rare and expensive. For most "exotic" cars that usually also means high performance but that's not always the case. Our 993s, while great and arguably "classic" in many ways, are neither that rare nor terribly valuable so IMHO at least they don't fit in the exotic category.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Like a lot of these things there isn't a definitive definition and it's often up to the beholder. Similarly, what's an antique? What's a classic? Some clubs have well defined definitions but they aren't necessarily universally applied. In general, exotic to me means rare and expensive. For most "exotic" cars that usually also means high performance but that's not always the case. Our 993s, while great and arguably "classic" in many ways, are neither that rare nor terribly valuable so IMHO at least they don't fit in the exotic category.
Expensive is a relative term. For most of us, a Ferrari is expensive, likewise a CGT, and rare, but to Bill Gates, very few things are out of his price range.

I certainly agree with rare (which is also relative)... in terms of production numbers what does "rare" mean? I suspect that means a car could become exotic, even if it didn't begin that way, due to diminishing quantities? think: Ferrari Daytona.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:21 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I define it based on:

1: Cost
2: Production quantity etc
3: Attainability (can I go out and buy one today)

For me Gallardo's, F430's are not exotic, if i wanted one I could literally go and get one and drive it home today.

Pagani's, Koneigsegg, etc I see as exotic.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would define it according to the three parameters you have identified: quantity produced (which correlates to cost of purchase) performance and styling. I don't include many Porsches in that group. I would certainly consider a CGT as belonging in the "erotic" class.

Sorry, I meant "exotic". At least I think that is what I meant .
Old 10-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Linnm
Pro

over $250 hourly rate at the Dealership
Old 10-06-2011, 01:43 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

ex·ot·ic
   [ig-zot-ik]adjective
of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.
strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance: an exotic hairstyle.
of a uniquely new or experimental nature: exotic weapons.
of, pertaining to, or involving stripteasing: the exotic clubs where strippers are featured.

So, if I had a stripper in my car, would that be an erotic exotic?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Funny, all of the definitions aply to Lambos

ex·ot·ic   [ig-zot-ik] Show IPA
adjective
of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.
of, pertaining to, or involving stripteasing: the exotic clubs where strippers are featured.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:14 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Funny, all of the definitions aply to Lambos

ex·ot·ic   [ig-zot-ik] Show IPA
adjective
Funny thing I discovered in Germany while visiting the Audi plant at Neckersulm. The Lambo builds start in Heilbronn, Germany near Neckersulm. IIRC they get a little more attention in Neckersulm, then go to Italy for final work. Way to keep that Italian pedigree! Well, it is a Volkswagen now...

Like beauty, "exotic" is in the eye of the beholder. When I was young and low on spending money, a 911 seem just as exotic as a Lambo. Now, that 911 isn't exotic. If I lived in somewhere besides SoCal, where 911's are only slightly rarer than BMW 3 series (which are like Honda Accords here), the 911 might still feel a little exotic.

<<---dammit. Post #913. I missed it, and I don't recall what I squandered that all important 911th post on...
Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

The term "rare" doesn't always mean valuable, nor does "limited production". "Classic" doesn't mean it's "exotic" either. Personally, my definition of "exotic" is "stupidly expensive" and not necessarily good-looking or high performance....something that someone with more money than good sense would buy....but Ralph Lauren would not.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

<<---dammit. Post #913. I missed it, and I don't recall what I squandered that all important 911th post on...[/QUOTE]

It's all good. You're on 914 now!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
wolfturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

It's funny, I feel my C4S is "exotic" but my C4 isn't. Judging from others when I'm driving either car, most people feel the same.

To me exotic is anything not mass produced & not on every corner/parking lot. I also felt my E30 M3 was an exotic car, especially after I had to rebuild the engine.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd consider the 959 to be an exotic.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Define Exotic