Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993RS and Turbo S at Petit Lemans this weekend....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:57 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It did have a few swirls but wasnt as bad as the pics look. I am actually glad I didnt bring my car out there.... the GA red clay was everywhere and just coated the cars. Then some a– hole went around putting smiley faces on all the cars and writing "wash me".
Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Cool pics. Thanks for sharing. The black 993 Turbo S has some major paint swirls. At least it's being driven, and not a garage queen.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano
It did have a few swirls but wasnt as bad as the pics look. I am actually glad I didnt bring my car out there.... the GA red clay was everywhere and just coated the cars. Then some a– hole went around putting smiley faces on all the cars and writing "wash me".
I was going to drive the 993 down there from Nashville, but a last minute addition to our camping crew meant we had to take the M3. Fortunately we parked right up on the tree line next to our campsite and weren't affected by teh mix of wind and clay. The Porsche corral got hit hard- felt sorry for Targa owners whose interiors got wrecked.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:58 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The yellow car looks very nice.

As an RS owner in europe, who has been around the cars for a while, driven quite a few and made some good RS owning friends along the way, it somehow seems strange when US 993 drivers spot a potential RS.

It's like you have seen a unicorn, only to find someone has grafted a horn on to the front of a pony!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

clubsport1:

Your statement is truer than you might have intended. Only within the past 7 years or so has Porsche given us access to its most focused road cars. We never had a chance to see or buy cars like 959s, GT2s or even GT3s. Even Supercups had to be imported in the beginning and by beginning, I mean 1997 or so. I have never actually seen a 964 RS or Cup Car here. There are stories about how many of some models are here in the states and who owns them so, building your own was, for most of us, the only viable option if you wanted to drive it on the street unfettered by special-use laws.

That means that different owners recreated or replicated some of these cars to varying levels of authenticity. Seeing what appears to be a real one in the States means you may be looking at one of the ten or twenty that are actually the real deal. One look at the VIN # of the yellow car would have tipped off the OP as to the authenticity of the car but we did go to great lengths to replicate the original.

Hank
Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Ha! Well as Hank said when I saw the car and looked it over for any signs it was a clone I thought maybe this is 1 of 20 cars in the US. If it had been.... It would have been like seeing a unicorn.

Regardless... I didnt look at the VIN but outside of that - this car was a perfect clone. I would love to own it

Originally Posted by clubsport1
The yellow car looks very nice.

As an RS owner in europe, who has been around the cars for a while, driven quite a few and made some good RS owning friends along the way, it somehow seems strange when US 993 drivers spot a potential RS.

It's like you have seen a unicorn, only to find someone has grafted a horn on to the front of a pony!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:47 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOOOOh a cup car!

:EDIT sarcasm

Last edited by CalvinC4S; 10-04-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:51 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Old 10-04-2011, 03:35 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Factory Clubsport.... beautiful. I would love to see some more pics!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Oh dear. there are a few distinguishing features, even from that photo that it is not a cup car.....still as you guys never get to see them, it's hardly surprising
That's right, rub it in......
Access to some rather special hardware...one of the few reasons I wished I still lived in the UK.... not that I could afford even a regular 993 on what they pay academic scientists....
Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn

Seeing what appears to be a real one in the States means you may be looking at one of the ten or twenty that are actually the real deal.
Hank-- You've certainly created an amazing state-side RS homage.
I admire your attention to detail & am certain you have good reason to say there are 10-20 Euro RS' in the U.S.

I've enjoyed being around two of them this summer (pix below), & have consistently heard there are only ~4 factory RS' that have been federalized / DOT legalized.
Feel free to PM me if you prefer: I'm hoping to gain some insight / confirmation of what's most accurate. Thanks in advance, & -- again -- great work

Cell phone shot ^^
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

^^ Whose Polar Silver Clubsport is that? amazing
Old 10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

I stand corrected. Its a clubsport "look" car though.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jäger:

I don't know that actual number. I have prsononal knowledge of two that were imported to Memphis, TN, a green one and a red one. The red one was wrecked at Roebling Road and I think parted out. There were at least two that were federalized in Texas--this is anecdotal information that I was told by the shop when I was considering importing and federalizing one and one down here in Atlanta that was converted into an RSR racecar. That is the extent of my personal knowledge and two of those are only hearsay as I did not actually see them.

I know there must be others and I have seen and persnally driven (3) several 993 Supercups which might or might not count depending on how you class them. They count to me as they were 993 GT3 Cup cars.

Thanks,
Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano
...The speed yellow RS was the real deal as far as I could tell.... RS color matched seats, no sunroof, full roll cage, Motons ect. There was a rennlist sticker on the car as well.... so anyone know the car? You could tell the car was tracked and that impressed me even more...
It's a really beautiful car. As I was looking at the car, two guys came over and started telling me it was a real RS. I couldn't disagree...but then I looked at the tail and could see an AC compressor. I don't know these cars that well, but is that a give-away that it's a rep.?

Some pics:

[img][/img]

Old 10-06-2011, 11:35 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

The owner of the polar silver club sport is a member here.
It is a factory M003 RS club sport that was optioned with comfort interior from what I understand.
It was offered for sale a couple years ago, asking around $500,000 US if I recall.

There are 3 that I know of, yellow m002,black m003 and that polar silver m003. All 3 of which at one point where based in the Northwest US.

Quick Reply: 993RS and Turbo S at Petit Lemans this weekend....