New owner in VA Beach

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 PM
SEATRA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner in VA Beach

Hello All,
My name is Sean and I am in the VA Beach area. I am happy to report that I recently joined the ranks of 993 owners with the purchase of a 1998 Carrera S. My journey to 993 ownership had some pretty nice stops in 928 and 944 land but I have always wanted a 911 since the late 70s. I recently retired from the military and decided to celebrate. I was most interested in late 80s Turbos or mid 90’s Carreras. I think I made the right choice. This car looks and feels new. I am content for now with the stock setup but I can see a possible lowering in the future.
One thing does have me confused though. You will notice in the interior shots that there is a rotary switch mounted outboard of the master headlight **** and a series of lights mounted in the in the center console. The rotary switch has two dials. The outer dial has three positions and a red line down the side. The inner, taller dial appears to be a potentiometer type dial. Two lights are mounted on the center console rocker insert and one light is mounted in the carpet above the console. I have only seen this system come to life once and it was after starting the car a few days after ownership. Right after start-up the two lights on the rocker began to alternately blink for a few seconds then the light above in the carpet illuminated and the two lights in the rocker extinguished. The center light stayed on and was accompanied by an alternating low volume gong chime. The car was running fine so I drove a few miles to my destination and turned the engine off. When I removed the key I noticed that the outer rotary switch red line was in the down position and I decided I must have inadvertently moved it when starting the car. I rotated the switch to the middle position and the system has been dormant ever since. Any ideas what this system does before I start further experimentation? It appears to be professionally installed. I have not looked under the dash or discovered any more components yet. The dealer I purchased from claims no knowledge of this system.
Attached Images       
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Welcome! Nice S
Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Welcome! The buttons you are describing are for the radar detector, the light on the console turns either green or yellow , green being hwy and yellow for city, I have the same set up on my 4s but I don't think is working properly..
Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 AM
SEATRA
Advanced

Didn't even think of a RADAR detector. Being in VA this may be a problem. I'll have to start looking at the install to see how extensive this system is.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking car, I like the wheel color, tone on tone look!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:53 AM
dhughesinc
Rennlist Member

Congrats on a great find. Love the classic two tone interior. I agree the mystery **** is radar. It may be a valentine one system.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

The radar is a K40, if you go to back of the engine you will find a black box which is your rear detector, I haven't been able to locate the front one, what the round **** that's by the steering wheel does, it let's you choose hwy or city position, don't know if you turn it to the left means hwy or city , I told my mechanic about it and he said that being that the radar most likely is about 15 years + old it might need to be replaced..
BTW love the color combo on your 4s.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice looking car. My Turbo has a very similar radar detector installed. It was installed when the car was purchased new in 1997. I haven't really used it and doubt it has any ability to pick up modern radar.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Very nice WB!!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Great car, congradulations! Yep, it's a K40. Had one in my 96 cab. If you do a search, I'm sure you can find some operating instructions. Mine was not too useful.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice looking car! Welcome!

Quick Reply: New owner in VA Beach