spare tire and crash protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Question spare tire and crash protection

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there was any validity to thought that the spare tire was part of the structural front end crash protection built-in by Porsche on our 993s?
I always remove the spare tire when auto-crossing.
I am concerned with the safety factor while driving DEs and TTs. If the spare tire is necessary for safety, then I would have to corner balance with the spare in the car. Obviously, I'd like to leave the weight out, but not at the expense of safety.

Thank you.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I leave my spare tire in for the crash protection. I have zero data, but that extra rubber and aluminum have to provide extra energy absorption. I have to make weight anyway, so why not? BTW, I don't think the tire weighs enough to make any significant difference in corner balancing.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile I weighed mine (Spare that is)..

I too need to make weight, the spare weighs 30 Lbs. My car needs to weigh 3205 in Impound Pots race. I was a little light, so back went the spare. I also need to have a full tank of gas in the car prior to a race...burn up at least a quarter tank in 30 minutes of racing.

Having some extra weight down low and up front is not so bad.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 PM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wondered the same, as run with out the spare wheel.
I was of the opinion that the front of these cars are very well built and by removing the spare wheel the wheel well becomes a extra crumple area, as with the spare wheel in place & the fact that the wheel is effectively two arches put together so despite being only alloy is still very strong and may not crumple and just transfer the impact further back towards the passenger cell, where as with out the spare wheel in place you have a void for the metal to crumple into.

Just my opinion of course and I may be completely wrong.
although I rather hope I need never put it to the test, spare wheel or no spare wheel
Old 09-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by d ward
I've always wondered the same, as run with out the spare wheel.
I was of the opinion that the front of these cars are very well built and by removing the spare wheel the wheel well becomes a extra crumple area, as with the spare wheel in place & the fact that the wheel is effectively two arches put together so despite being only alloy is still very strong and may not crumple and just transfer the impact further back towards the passenger cell, where as with out the spare wheel in place you have a void for the metal to crumple into.

Just my opinion of course and I may be completely wrong.
although I rather hope I need never put it to the test, spare wheel or no spare wheel
I wonder if Porsche removed the spare tire for DOT crash testing? I'm guessing they did not since the car probably had to be tested as-delivered to the consumer. Just a guess, though.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:26 PM
d ward
Instructor

Yes you are correct, if it came to the customer with a spare wheel, it would be crash tested as such, at least in european countries, I dont know about other countries. Thats not to say it makes the car safer, its just the car has a spare, it has to be put somewhere and the 911 is a small car and it is crash tested with that spare in place as a requirement of the crash test.
Im sure porsche gave thought to the safety aspect, but that said I'm sure they would have preferred not to have to put the spare in, as 911s of the last few years have no spare wheel at all.
The only thing I would say and its nothing but my observation, is than ive seen a lot of cars hit in the rear (the normal place for the spare wheel to be kept) and always the cars with the spare wheel in place, have the damage carried through closer to the passenger cell and the spare wheel once you cut away the mangled metal is more often than not barely damage if at all, which suggests to me the spare wheel merely transfers the impact across the spare wheel well and further into the car.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

I know someone who is going to be happy when he reads this...

Old 09-20-2011, 07:34 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by d ward
The only thing I would say and its nothing but my observation, is than ive seen a lot of cars hit in the rear (the normal place for the spare wheel to be kept) and always the cars with the spare wheel in place, have the damage carried through closer to the passenger cell and the spare wheel once you cut away the mangled metal is more often than not barely damage if at all, which suggests to me the spare wheel merely transfers the impact across the spare wheel well and further into the car.
so your are saying that removing the spare makes the drivers cell area less likely to be mangled in a front end collision????

Craig
Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I would think that if it were an integral part of the design, the lawyers would've had Porsche plaster the area with warning stickers.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I would think that if it were an integral part of the design, the lawyers would've had Porsche plaster the area with warning stickers.
You may have a really valid point here.

Despite years of conjecture on forums, I have yet to see absolute proof one way or the other.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How many of us have seen all manner of headers over the years? I don't think it makes a damned bit of difference through the survivability range. I bought one wreck ~20 years ago that went nose first into a wall at probably 20MPH, no safety equipment, spare removed (was running stock class), and there was no way we were rebuilding it. Similar, a few years earlier, one of my customers wrecked a 2-3 month old 930, amazingly head first at about the same 20-25MPH, and we did put a new front clip on it. But the body guy regretted ever touching the car. It jigged up square, and I aligned it fine, but the bill was $30K+ in 1986 dollars. No one made money on that one............
Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I can just see the warning label-DO NOT USE THIS SPARE TIRE AS A SPARE TIRE
and imagine the lawsuits if a 911 was in a head on collision while using the spare tire...
Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Believe me you want that aluminum spare in there when it does happen! Took a header at speed on a
granite curb in the wet and the curb all but stripped the chassis of suspension but while still moving at
an alarming rate say 45/50 the curb acted as a rail and directed the car into a fire hydrant ..which
luckily was of the breakaway variety but still simply crushed the aluminum reinforcement and proceded
to place a perfect U in the spare! Once it had anialated the steering box of course!
that slowed us down and how! no one had as much as a scratch can't say the same for the tub and of
course that spare was toast! Bert
oh this was ten years ago...
Old 09-21-2011, 03:44 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should rig up your stock steering wheel in place of the spare, then when the airbag goes off it will help cushion the crash..
Old 09-21-2011, 05:17 AM
d ward
Instructor

Hi Craig, yes I would of thought that by removing the spare wheel it would help to prevent the passenger cell getting as mangled, but that's only my opinion.
Was explained to me by a body guy like this, if you place a empty coke can on the floor & stamp on it,the metal crushes easily into the void inside the can & very little of the energy is transferred to the floor.
Then fill another coke can with stones & stamp on it, this time the metal of the can has no void to fold into and most of the energy is thus transferred through the can & into the ground.
So by removing the spare wheel their is more space for the metal work of the car to fold into in a crash thus assorbing some of the energy of a crash.

Quick Reply: spare tire and crash protection