Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 scarcity

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Franz993
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

Similar to LA here in SoFla 993s are scarce because people like newer cars and out of state buyers ****** the ones that become available. In Miami sometimes it is just plain sad. Case in point, the other day someone at a gas station asked me: "Is that a kit car?"...
Old 08-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I live two blocks from the Granada Gulf course in Coral Gables Florida. There is a tennis court at one side of the gulf course. On the weekends I see beautiful guards red 993 cab parked on the tennis court’s parking. I always look to see if I make contact with the owner but never seen the person. Two blocks from my house my neighbor has a 95 black coupe 993. I have never seen him drive it, just caught a glance at it when they had the garage door open. That is it for 993s in the Miami and Broward area. I have not seen any other; the 993 are very scarce in Miami. They all seem to be congregated where I live. My guess is that there are more but people do not drive them. I had mine for two years and have driven it 1000 miles; it has 41K m.
The ultimate compliment to my 993 was given on a Saturday that I was driving it with my wife. Came to a four way stop sign intersection and stopped to let two young kids with one of those small cars almost touching the floor foreign cars (Honda?) pass by. I wanted to make sure they went by before I crossed the intersection. We both stood still at the intersection for a few seconds. The kid riding shotgun signals me to proceed. I thanked him and proceeded to cross the intersection. When I was half way through the intersection the shotgun rider stock his body out of the window, and gave me a thumb up sign with a huge grin on his face. My wife turned to me and said wow that is some compliment.
________________________________________________________________________ _________________
1997 Arctic Siver, Cab, 6 spd manual , Targa wheels

Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 AM
porsita
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RDelvalle that is a true compliment by those guys like a pretty girl on the pedestrian crossing.....give her the right of way, sit back
and admire the curvature as she strolls through
Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi porsita:

Yes it made me fill great. It was quite a compliment. You said it perfect. Do you ever come down to Miami?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

While up at Monterey car week, with the jillions of $ worth of cars rolling around the area last week, we heard 3 comments by various pedestrians as we drove by them in the bone stock 993...."there's a classic" "the ultimate Porsche" "just plain classy". Made me feel good considering the awesome array all around. My wife just shakes her head in disbelief. Usually, the 911 gets all the comments-my wife said it's another form of sexual lust when other guys make a left in front of us as we're at a light and just stare as they go past. I never noticed the looks til she pointed it out.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hardly ever a sighting around here. I get lots and lots of thumbs ups...but most never notice the humble size and simple shape the 993.
It is not all angular, humpy and huge like all the other cars.

When I do see one on the road (usually on the interstate) I still get very excited (to see it, and that I actually own one!)
Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mercedesben
When non porsche people ask what I drive I just say I have an older 911.
Where I live there are very few Porsches, one other 993, one 997 that I have seen, a 964 and a couple of 944's. If I was talking to a local Porsche owner inquiring about the vintage of my car I would probably be honest. The rest of the people around here can't tell the difference between a 356 and a 997. All 911's appear to be the same to them .

In all honesty I couldn't tell one Ferrari from another as it is not an automotive brand that I follow either, so I can't blame them.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:54 AM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm in Coral Gables as well and I see plenty of 993s around.
There are a few "residents" like the 95 green coupe and the 96 black coupe on my office building, there is the arena red cab always parked on Alcazar, and 97 black turbo in cocoplum.
There is not a week that I don't spot a new example around the Miracle Mile and the vicinity. So the enthusiats are still driving them around.
But it is true that 996s and 997s are an every day treat. I crossed 3 of them on the short 4 mile drive between my office and home tonight!
I regret selling my 97 Targa, but I had 4 cars on a 2 car garage home!
So, today I get my P-car fix driving my 2010 C2S around. Maybe one day I get back behind the unique feeling of a 993 steering wheel.....
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

well-.i dont see many in miami ----
and the few i see are in lame condition.
a neibourgh close to me has one, outside , dirty ...
of course, is just what i see on my everyday driving .....
Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

I have never seen him drive it, just caught a glance at it when they had the garage door open. That is it for 993s in the Miami and Broward area. I have not seen any other; the 993 are very scarce in Miami. They all seem to be congregated where I live. My guess is that there are more but people do not drive them. I had mine for two years and have driven it 1000 miles; it has 41K m.

<Hello DelValle ....

1000 miles on 2 years ... ??
My case is even worse ... 3 fuel tanks in 2 years i think !!!

My car is on maintenance now , new clutch, new wire harness (engine), new tires, balancing-align, new front perfoirmance bushings, billet aluminung valve covers , plugs, engine-trans flush and new oil, and 20 more things .. will post some pictures when ready ....
Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Franz993
Similar to LA here in SoFla 993s are scarce because people like newer cars and out of state buyers ****** the ones that become available. In Miami sometimes it is just plain sad. Case in point, the other day someone at a gas station asked me: "Is that a kit car?"...
people here in miami (mostly) is very stupit ...
the most expensive/the newest the better ...
the culture about cars is scarce ...
i can afford a $100K car, but will never have the spirit (soul ?) of a good old model .

anyway, i dont have my car for showoff purposes, so i dont care ....
Old 09-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Franz993
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by eloyex
well-.i dont see many in miami ----
and the few i see are in lame condition.
a neibourgh close to me has one, outside , dirty ...
of course, is just what i see on my everyday driving .....
I think I live close to you (Doral right?) but mine is def not the dirty 993. I have it garaged and have put 4K miles in 4 years. We should try to meet one of these days...

Quick Reply: 993 scarcity