Sponsored by:

c4s in NC,price check & thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:12 AM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c4s in NC,price check & thoughts

So in my daily search/obsession,i keep seeing this guards red with 64k at a dealer in charlotte for 42k.Called and spoken with him and he seems to be somewhat a collector/dealer of 911's.Does anybody know of tri- motors in the charlotte area?Reputable,standup,sketchy,stay away from.Owner seems very knowledgible,but he's also had this c4s for close to a year and it makes me think it's got some issues......but it is guards red with a gorgeous tan interiorI'm so torn,but it's so close to meTHoughts and opinions?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 AM
firesm
Pro

Here's a link to the ad, with lots of pictures - for the looky loos...

http://www.trimmotorcars.com/invento...97-Porsche-911
Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 AM
cmd4
Pro

Thanks firesm!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 AM
firesm
Pro

There will be a ton of opinions on the pricing of these cars. It's more than I would pay for that car - but it may not be more than someone else would pay (I love the guards red, but I'm not a fan of the cashmere). Car dealers only become collectors when their cars don't sell. This car hasn't sold because either it is over priced or it is in bad shape, or both. A good ppi from a reputable shop not affiliated with the dealer is a great start, but if the mileage and overall condition don't justify the price there's no point in spending the money on the ppi. There is a reason he's had the car for a year...

Good luck, and if it's local to you, you're already ahead of a lot of out of state/country buyers. Get someone from rennlist, who is local as well, and who is knowledgable about these cars to go with you to the dealer to have a look.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:39 AM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If PPI checks out and it's the color / options you want, I'd say the price isn't out of consideration. If he's asking $42K, it means he would probably take $40ish and $40ish for a mid mile C4S is about right.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

That car has been on the market for at least 9 months. You might be able to get a good deal. I remember seeing it in Dec before buying mine. Looks nice.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks like a good car for about the right price. Get it checked out & if ti passes, get it.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

I really want to say I saw that car when I was looking LAST winter & spring. The pics inside the building, and the description look/read very familiar.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:31 PM
JSA993
Rennlist Member

I purchased black on tan '90 964 coupe from Tri-M several years ago. Same thing....the car had been there forever. I did my research and had a thorough PPI done. Many, many issues (I was not surprised). Made an offer accordingly to cover clutch job, etc. At first it was turned down but two days later he called back to "let it go". I'll bet you'll find out this car was flipped several times at auction before he ended up with it. You could end up with a nice car, but as everyone has stated, extensive PPI, carfax, etc is a must.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 275 Posts

I agree with JSA993 - you may just get lucky on a nice car for a very good price.

If it is what you want, pay for a PPI (ask around here for a good resource local to the dealer) & let that be your decision making factor... $500 well spent, if this is the car that you keep coming back to...
Old 08-13-2011, 09:12 PM
cmd4
Pro

yeah thats what i'm thinking too.i've talked to the owner several times about the car...and everytime i tell him i'm only a few hrs away and am a serious buyer and have talked price and he says he's firm,so i don't want to waste a day's driving if he's going to hold to the price.Seems others i've found and called on,that the sellers realize they have a serious buyer are pretty negotiable in this day and age.I really do like the cashmere interior and it's close to my budget.....so i guess we'll see.PPI next!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:14 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am always weary of a dealer that posts out-of-focus pics and does not clean up the car well. They may claim that it is an "honest car," but I think is a lack of caring.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:58 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

i'm only a few hrs away

I would take a day and drive up...call the dealer in advance so you can schedule a good test drive and check the car and any documentation in person...have you driven a 993 before...if not try and find a fellow RL where you live so you can drive a well sorted out car first for a good comparison. Serach on RL for things to look for when buying a 993...especially how to look for paint work...take a list with you.

DO NOT BUY THE CAR ON THIS TRIP.

If you come away still interested then you can follow up with a full PPI.

Quick Reply: c4s in NC,price check & thoughts