993 Forum 1995-1998

Tiptronic Supercharger Project - data logging begins

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by evoderby
One last word on the throttle, chances are you'll find it will pose a restriction, however the actual size of the inlet manifold connection might leave little room for improvements to be made....do you know what size the TPC manifold has??
According to Tom from TPC, the throttle body is a restriction in the intake system. Their intake manifold is indeed larger in diameter than the stock TB, hence it requires an adaptor.
I don't know what the correct size is but I'm sure I will find out soon when I get my kit.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I finally found some time and the energy to do some work on the car. With lots of hammering and wedging the 2.6" pulley finally came off. What a PITA. 2.4" pulley is on but I need a washer to fill in the gap that now exists between the nut and the face of the new pulley.

I was checking the meth injection nozzle - took it off - and it fell into the deep dark depths of the engine bay. I have not been able to find it. With the sun going down I decided to call it a day.

Hopefully the Durametric will arrive in the post this week and I can do some data logging.

Axl - hope the pics come in handy.
Basically - getting the pulley off is the hard part. I used a screw driver and a hammer to create a small gap and then I used the puller as pictured below. I will have to re-paint the scuff marks that was created in the process.
I have a piece of wood with a hole in it - which I used for placing over the pulley so I could gently tap the pulley onto the shaft.
Once I get a washer that will fit I will fire her up and do some testing.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 01-25-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good, you'll be running 12.5's before Christmas;-)
Old 12-15-2011, 08:39 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

I've been so busy with another business project that I have had little time for relaxation with my hobbies. But since everyone is winding down for the xmas holidays, it has sort of freed me up as well. So I have been able to have some easy days which has permitted me the time to drive the 911.

I've driven the car with the 2.4" pulley twice now. Longish drives on some good roads. There is definetly a noticeable increase in power. The car is even more responsive.

Some how the car feels a lot smoother - like the current tune is better suited to the 2.4" unit. Where the 2.6" was just not right some how. I don't know how to explain it - but things feel better and more in sync.

The SC whine sounds different now too - the pitch of the sound is different. Speed does pile on quicker than before. I'm sure the new dyno results will show a good increase in power and tq.

When in second gear and gradually flooring the accelerator the speedo gets to 150km/h (93mph) so quickly.

The heat on top on the SC unit is hotter than before. But the intake pipe before the intake manifold is coolish all the time. I changed the meth to start spraying at 2psi - had upped it to 3/4 psi after my dyno run.

Now I'm waiting for Aussie post to get me the Durametric - I hope it comes tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good progress! Look forward to the dyno results.....
Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

I've noticed something about mating the SC with the tiptronic transmission - it's starting to look like it can't handle it when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I get way more wheel spin now with the 2.4" pulley - gunned it today from the bog while doing some testing. The tiptronic will shift smoothly from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. But from 1 to 2 there is a huge hesitation at the redline and the revs just bounce around for a while till I throttle down. It then changes and runs smoothly.

I'd say we have hit a bhp power point in the tune that see's the tiptronic box not being able to handle the power. I had a thought about correcting this issue - and I come up with a big blank. I doubt changing the ATF would yield any difference. Any thoughts on trying to solve this issue?

Good thing is - lots more wheel spin now.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:51 PM
MPB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi haygeebaby,

On mine I let off a bit and call for an upshift at 6-6.2k rpm with the steering wheel buttons and by the time it decides to change it is at redline :-) . Takes practice but it works for me, not sure it will solve your problem but its what I find works for me else as you say it bounces around the rev limiter.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Mark - glad to hear that I am not the only one getting this symptom. Thanks.
I will try what you say about the upshift technique. I did try something like that but it didn't go as planned - so some practice is required. I think I will change all the fluids to the best quality stuff I can get hold off and see if that does anything.

And my xmas gift has arrived - the durametic cables and some other goodies. Will download the software and have a go at it tonight.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Hey guys - Durametric logging aint sucky at all. It's working great and I've been able to log over 30 minutes of data with 5 different data samples at the same time. Did not lock up at all.
I'm running on a pretty new laptop with Win7 and Duramertic 6.1.1.3.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

When I have the throttle plate as far down as possible - Durametric is reading throttle plate angle as 82. Is this the same for you guys as well?

A little limited on an OBD1 unit. But still very handy.

Glad I have no errors on the ECU - but the alarm is poping up with some weird errors that I need to look up.

Sample of some data from the test just now.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 01-25-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:35 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh...that new durametric is cool. Guess that's the newer version. Mine is an OLD one that can't use the newest durametric software.

Interesting compared to the stock full throttle ignition timing from 911chips.

Do you plan on adding a knock counter? I've been loggin that and it does provide some useful data.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

My throttle position goes to 85 now. I found out that the throttle stop endet way early so I kept adjusting between the linkage, cable and pedal stop. I have a 97 model with the 2 butterflies. I went to great length and took the air filter and Maf housing out so I could reach into the butterflies to confirm.
I believe the MAF reads to 4.5 Volts and not 5 like on other cars. At least I know it opens all the way now.
It might be all different for you SC guys.
Ed
Old 12-23-2011, 11:47 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Here is an interesting topic / question to ask with regard to tiptronic and the new power the sc makes. Will changing the torque converter unit optimise the new power from the engine and improve performance by reducing drive train loss, and improve fuel economy, and possibly not affect driveability of the car?

When I was thinking of optimising the car after the power upgrades, and how to fix this problem of the gear change from 1st to 2nd, I started wondering if the tq converter could be an answer.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I remember from my TDI days that the guys that had automatic trannys with heavily modified engines increased the line pressure to the torque converter or clutch plates. I don't know how they did that since I had a stick so I never paid much attention to it but there must be a spring or a valve that adjusts the pressure to the clutch plates/converter?
Just an idea for you to look at maybe.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=line+pressure
found the thread if you're interested.
Ed
Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

ED - thanks for the link - that was a very interesting read. Increasing line pressure to reduce delays between shifts while the TC is locking up. Very intresting.

After reading most of the tiptronic related articles via search - I have not come across any suggestions like this. The only tip box that I have read that has had major modifications is on Linton's American GS.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ty-almost.html

I wonder if it is possible to increase pressure like that on the 993 tiptronic box?
Any other guys care to comment on this?

I recently purchased some M1 fully syth atf and final drive fluid - and will change that out in the coming weeks. I will check to see if there are any adjustment screws while I'm in there.

But at the same time - I don't seem to have any delays going into reverse and shift from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 are fast and silky smooth. Occasionally the car stalls when shifting into reverse - which is a sign of low fluid levels in to the ATF box.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Supercharger Project - data logging begins