Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tiptronic Supercharger Project - data logging begins

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

The new pulley arrived today. It will fit on the MP90 unit I have. I remember the 2.6" pulley had the keyed cut in it as well. So it will fit.

Problem is - I can't get the pulley bolt off with my tools. I think I need an impact gun again.

On inspection - the new 2.4" pulley is going to need some work to line up with the belt and other pulleys. The rear of the 2.4" pulley comes out about 3mm. Might need to take 2mm off so it sits in line when pushed onto the SC shaft.

Also found out that some of my spark plug wires had no resistance. Turns out 3 of them are bad, including the short one that connects the coils to the lower distributor. So a possible solution to my rough idle, 2 or 3 crank starts, and snap crackle and pop in the exhaust. A new set is on its way as well.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 12-11-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:39 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The quest for more boost has begun! ;-)

Quick question, did you ever get the chance to get the AFR checked after fitting the new regulator?

Also a quick word of advice, especially when running higher levels of boost it is very important that all injectors are working like they are supposed to since it is very easy to burn a hole in a piston of a cilinder that is fed with a marginal fuel supply....especially since this doesn't readily show up on the AFR gauge.

I've seen the above happen on the rollers (4 cilinder turbo - fortunately not mine) with a partially blocked injector. A quick test on an ASNU type machine and corresponding service might be very cheap insurance....that is if you're using injectors that have been used for some while.

Rgds
Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Nah not yet. I havent been driving the car much and the garage has had to delay as well. I decided to get the pulley and meth kit in and then get the AFRs from the next dyno. Then we can fine tune this setup.

The injectors are brand new - but thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ken,

Can you take pics of how to you are replacing the pulley? I'm interested in a 2.8 for mine.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:38 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by axl911
Ken,

Can you take pics of how to you are replacing the pulley? I'm interested in a 2.8 for mine.
Can do - but what sort of pics you want man? Grinding the thing down and then putting in on the shaft? No problems.
I will be installing the meth kit first. Then dyno to see what the AFR is without meth on. I'll tune till I get the AFR in the low 12's.
Then I'll turn on meth and adjust till I get to mid 11.
Then I'll put the smaller pulley on and increase the boost.
I probably won't do any timing - but time will tell.

If you go from 2.6 to 2.8 - won't you lose power AXL?
Perhaps you want to lower the psi on the meth pump, or change your fluid mix, or play with the start and max injection settings.

Since my injection point will be pre throttle body, do you guys think I should move the temp sensor further upstream? How will this affect the Maf?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:48 PM
axl911
Drifting

Take and pic or instruction of removing and what it takes to install the new pulley.

I have the 3 inch stock pulley. Which is about 5lb. The 2.8 should provide another lb or two of boost.

As for your maf, I would move it up or whatever it takes. Corrosive methanol is not kind to the maf sensitive sensor.

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Can do - but what sort of pics you want man? Grinding the thing down and then putting in on the shaft? No problems.
I will be installing the meth kit first. Then dyno to see what the AFR is without meth on. I'll tune till I get the AFR in the low 12's.
Then I'll turn on meth and adjust till I get to mid 11.
Then I'll put the smaller pulley on and increase the boost.
I probably won't do any timing - but time will tell.

If you go from 2.6 to 2.8 - won't you lose power AXL?
Perhaps you want to lower the psi on the meth pump, or change your fluid mix, or play with the start and max injection settings.

Since my injection point will be pre throttle body, do you guys think I should move the temp sensor further upstream? How will this affect the Maf?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:35 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Well with the 2.6" I get a max of 6psi and it bottoms out at 4psi at max revs. That is with the additional distance created by the chargecooler and piping.

Are you positive that your 3" pulley is making 5psi most of the time? Becuase the 2.6" in my setup is making an average of about 5psi throught the entire rev range. You may as well go 2.6" instead of 2.8". I'd be currious to see what the psi change will be when I swap in the 2.4" unit.

Right you are about the MAF. I was thinking about moving the temp sensor upstream of the meth nozzle. I am thinking that the ECU will be able to maximise the cooling provided by the meth kit.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:36 AM
MPB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ken,

With a 2.6", the a/w injection ahead of the SC helping to seal the lobes, a straight inlet pipe to the SC and no chargecooler I get 9lb upto around 4.5k and then it drops off to about 7lb. But I think the difference in pressure seen between our systems is due to the chargecooler removing heat and more efficient SC in your system. Hence I expect that you will see more hp with both the 2.6" and 2.4" pulley than those without a chargecooler. Are you measuring the pressure before or after the chargecooler? I would definitely check for water collecting in the chargecooler if you put the a/w ahead of it to avoid hydro lock at some point. No evidence this would happen but its worth keeping an eye on it.

Br, Mark.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:10 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Will do Mark.
Interesting - a loss of around 3psi with the chargecooler.
I'm measuring at the intake manifold - so after chargecooler.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 PM
axl911
Drifting

This is one of my recent run data, on the road, 2nd gear WOT. Keep in mind this is 3500ft above sea level, so I am losing .5 psi off the bat.

Man... I am losing alot of boost at the upper RPM. Not sure I have a leak or my cam timing is more efficient at high RPM.

AFR shows rich.

Butt dyno feel lots different...seemed there is a big kick at the upper rpm.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Man - that plot is pretty detailed.
Your boost drops about 2.8psi.
When I look at my data it also drops about 2 somthing psi.
Marks setup also drops about 2 psi.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 12-11-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Default Meth kit is here

After a few weeks wait the meth kit has arrived. Nice packaging. Pretty good service from Snow thus far.
Possible install this weekend since there is a public holiday on Friday - becuase the Queen of England is in my hood. And it's also raining outside.
But on Saturday I'm going to a big sausage sizzle with the rest of Perth and hope to meet the queen again.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 12-11-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

AXL - question mate ... how is your meth kit coming along?
Where did you mount your controller unit and where did you end up getting your 12v from ?

I just realised that there is not enough of that red piping with the kit. Need to find some more of it in Aus - that could be hard to do.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:16 PM
axl911
Drifting

It's been in and running fine for several weeks. Still playing with the nozzles and spray adjustment.

I mount the control unit next to the TPC turbo boost module and shares the vacuum line coming out of the supercharger to sense boot. Both units are inside the rear quarter panel to mininize the distance between the manifold and the control units. You want the sensors to see the boost pressure right away without going through 10ft of vacuum lines. Power source is the same...from the sunroof lead. I think you can take the interior rear parcel shelf off and find a mount there. Otherwise, I'd mount it inside the engine compartment.

One thing I did that is different is to run all black wires (from pump, led, solenoid) back to the ground lead of the snow controller. Rather than running just the red wire from the controller to the pump and hooking the black wire from the pump to the chassis. This is to prevent voltage differentials. The controller runs the pump through voltage differential. This avoid any accidental/over/under spraying due to voltage/ground issues.

The 10ft red piping should be enough for the car. I chose use the windwhield reservoir which requires running additional lines. I also ran the piping up close to the AC return lines to cool the liquid. And also make a loop in the engine compartment. If you just mount the pump+tank in the trunk and run straight to the engine using the center tunnel, I think it should be enough.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM
axl911
Drifting

What pulley do you have on currently? The 3 inch? Is this measured from outside edge to outside edge? Or from peak-to-peak on the ridges of the pulley where the belt rides on.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Supercharger Project - data logging begins