993 Forum 1995-1998

Tiptronic Supercharger Project - data logging begins

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:56 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Tiptronic Supercharger Project - interior almost done

Well guys - after 6 years of 993 ownership the slippery slope has led me to this project. We don't see a lot of supercharged tiptronics so I hope this post is a treat for others out there.

This is what the project consists of:
Base TPC Supercharger kit with an Eaton gen 4 supercharger
Custom chargecooler similar to TPC unit
Protomotive stage 2 turbo system software with stage 1 timing
Protomotive mass flow expansion network
36lb fuel injectors
Snow performance meth kit (later in the year)

The goal is to get some more power into the tiptronic ROW C2, in a sleeper package, that will increase the grin factor. This will not be a track car - 99% street.

During this project we have also changed the chain cover gaskets. Let's hope the leaks finally stop. I also have 6mm wheel spacers to install once the car is put back together. The garage is a mess right now and the car is in pieces.

I've been working on the project for about a week now - a few hours each day. I've managed to get most of the core parts installed, and what's left now is the vac hoses and pipes, and the chargecooler install.

Here are some pics for you guys:

Last edited by haygeebaby; 10-20-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:03 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, please report back with your driving impressions.

Is adjustable boost an option or if not do you know how much boost psi/bar it is set at?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Some more pics:

Last edited by haygeebaby; 01-25-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool project. How's the belt alignment? When everything is in place, the belt tension will tend to pull the supercharger snout toward the fan. Some have experienced slight rubbing betwen the belt and fan housing.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do I see an upgraded engine carrier in there? I know they do that with the turbos.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
axl911
Drifting

Can you post pic of how you are doing your throttle cable?

thanks,
anthony
Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Raleigh993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another Tip Owner

Nice mod on a beautiful car.

Will you have to upgrade or rebuild the transmission to handle the extra power?

Chip
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

So jealous!!! Want this on my car so badly!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:12 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Calvin
I believe the system is running at 6psi. This is my first SC and I'm still learning. How and where would you adjust the psi level? Is it software based or mechanical? Is the psi on a SC determined by the pulley size? I think I'm running a 2.6" pulley.

Axl
Yeah - pulley is pretty dam close to the fan housing - like 1mm or less. I need a big **** adjustable wrench to leverage the tensioner so I can get the belt on. I would not be surprised if the tensioner pulley rubbed on the fan housing. Got any tips on this?

Ed
The engine carrier does have the extra layer of welding. My car is a first generation 1994 model, so I would be surprised if other 993's didn't have this. Don't all 993 have this?

Chip
Not touching the transmission. Haven't read anything that says it cannot cope with the SC - but then again - very little to read about tips and SC. I have a feeling that the bullet proof tip will not have a problem handling the mild increase in HP.

Axl
Yeah - throttle cable placement for this project is interesting. I did not like the part where you have to cut off the metal connector on the throttle body for the cruise control cable mechanism. You have to do this otherwise the throttle body spring mechanism does not clear the rear of the engine body. Lots of little things are left out of the TPC instructions.

The "L" shaped metal stop needs to go behind the engine sheet metal. I tested the length last night and I've got it about right. Throttle body opens 100% when accelerator pedal is to the floor. I'm not too keen on the setup, but it does work. Looks like they have a simple solution for this that works. And simple is good. But having to check it ever so often would be a bit of a hassle.

Mike
Whenever I saw someone post a thread about a SC install - I too wanted one badly. I can't wait to see what the driving impressions are when the project is completed.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:05 AM
axl911
Drifting

On the tensioner. Just put a bolt on the other side, and use a bar/pipe or even ratchet/wrench to leverage off the tension. See pic.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

I was thinking of doing that. But the thing has a fair bit of tension in it, so I decided to get something that will hold on tightly. Big **** adjustable wrench came through.

Is you pulley wheel as close to the fan housing as this?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 AM
axl911
Drifting

Mine has about 2mm gap but it still rubs once in a while.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Got a problem boys - maybe the guys who have a TPC SC installed can help me out. Not too sure where some hoses need to be connected to.

On the gen 4 TPC setup there are 3 barbed connections.
A - small (3/16) barbed fitting on the inlet manifold elbow before SC
B - large (3/8) barbed fitting on the inlet manifold elbow before SC
C - large (3/8) barbed fitting on the intake manifold

In the picture - top of the bronze frame - I believe is the fuel pressure regulator? Where does that get connected to? A or B or C?

Last edited by haygeebaby; 09-05-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:13 PM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Got a problem boys - maybe the guys who have a TPC SC installed can help me out. Not too sure where some hoses need to be connected to.

On the gen 4 TPC setup there are 3 barbed connections.
A - small (3/16) barbed fitting on the inlet manifold elbow before SC
B - large (3/8) barbed fitting on the inlet manifold elbow before SC
C - large (3/8) barbed fitting on the intake manifold

In the picture - top of the bronze frame - I believe is the fuel pressure regulator? Where does that get connected to? A or B or C?
Those TPC connectors seemed to be the same as the earlier generation. I think they are in TPC somewhat sparse instruction set...toward the end in the hand drawn vacuum connections.

I seem to recall:
A & B - are for vacuum sources. Use these for the various vacuum connections such as tank purge vent, AC flapper, vram actuators, brake booster, etc.
C - this is for the fuel pressure regulator and to the boost gauge or the boost sensor used by TPC to activate the injectors, but not sure...gotta a pic?

You will proably need to figure out all the vacuum requirement & connectors for your car and then decide with of the A or B vacuum source to hook it up to and how.

Don't get the vacuum & boost connection mixed up...otherwise you will do nasty things to your engine!!!

In your picture, the top conector is actually the tank vent/purge valve. That plastic housing with an electrical connector is a 1-way valve used by the car (vacuum which feed into the intake assemby) to suck fuel vapor into the intake. The engine actually monitors this and will throw a check code if it is not connected or working properly. The fuel pressure regulator is actually attached to the fuel rail on the left hand side of the engine.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:22 PM
axl911
Drifting

Diagram from TPC's instruction.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Supercharger Project - data logging begins