Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

AC Compressor Just Burnt Up (Black Smoke Everywhere)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:37 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought the compressor & clutch from Pelican for $300. (Actually lowest I can find anywhere.) Works fine for a year now. And I'm in Texas.

Did it myself. Have a shop evacuate the refigerant for free. 4 13mm bolts and the compressor is out after you take out the belt. 2 more bolts and the hose is out. Get new seals.

Have the shop pull vacuum and refill the refigerant.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Expansion valve can be replaced without removing the gas tank. My Indy, the excellent Robbie Provost @ Provost Motorsports in Bordentown, NJ, has just done this job on my car.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reuben
Expansion valve can be replaced without removing the gas tank. My Indy, the excellent Robbie Provost @ Provost Motorsports in Bordentown, NJ, has just done this job on my car.
yes, +1

And I should have mentioned earlier, the expansion valve may have triggered the failure.
If it sticks, flow is restricted and the pump heats up.

As for where to buy the compressor... I guess I'll just openly promote FD Motorsports
$285 for a new Denso unit (prices can change over time so when this thread is old and grey, please keep this in mind )
Old 06-11-2011, 03:07 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
Ken, if you tackle this yourself I hope you keep us updated. I just bought via Amazon a brass manifold gauge set, can tap valve, and a twin port vacuum pump. Total was under $200. I'm getting ready to tackle the a/c on my girlfriends Isuzu Rodeo. I've never done an evacuation and refill (only a top off) but it just doesn't look too hard. At least I'll have the tools if I ever need to do one of my cars. Good luck.
You'd bet. I have a brass manifold gauge set too, but it's at least 15/20 years old. It may not work with the 134a configuration. So I will have to try it soon before starting this project.

Originally Posted by axl911
I bought the compressor & clutch from Pelican for $300. (Actually lowest I can find anywhere.) Works fine for a year now. And I'm in Texas.

Did it myself. Have a shop evacuate the refigerant for free. 4 13mm bolts and the compressor is out after you take out the belt. 2 more bolts and the hose is out. Get new seals. Have the shop pull vacuum and refill the refigerant.
I may have to resort to do the same. Will definatley keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by Reuben
Good to know for sure and will investigate the difficulty. Thanks.

Originally Posted by MarkD
yes, +1
And I should have mentioned earlier, the expansion valve may have triggered the failure. If it sticks, flow is restricted and the pump heats up.

As for where to buy the compressor... I guess I'll just openly promote FD Motorsports $285 for a new Denso unit (prices can change over time so when this thread is old and grey, please keep this in mind )
Sounds good to me Mark. Before the big blast of smoke, it was 109 degrees while driving in stop-n-go traffic. Plus I have over 200K miles on that darn compressor and the other AC components. Are there any other things I need to get before I even think about tackling this project? Also do you carry the Drier and seals (for the hoses-as previously mentioned)?

Another Q for the RL Folks. Should the system be evaparated before installation of the new parts (expansion valve for instance)? If you put the new exp v before evaporation, couldn't metal particles clog it up? On the other hand, if evaporation is done with the old valve, can you get the system fully cleaned if it's already clogged? Your thoughts.

Ken

Last edited by 993Porsche; 06-11-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Another question for the RL Follks
Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Found a DIY for the 993 AC. Damn, this is gonna be a bitch.

http://p-car.com/diy/ac/

Ken

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Just Burnt Up (Black Smoke Everywhere)