Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

AC Compressor Just Burnt Up (Black Smoke Everywhere)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AC Compressor Just Burnt Up (Black Smoke Everywhere)

Now what do I do? Car won't start. After turning on the ignition, the compressor belt squeaks real loud. Bearins must be toasted. $1300.00 from Sunset and no DIY for it. Anyone with experience with this problem?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 06-09-2011, 07:37 PM
bstrutton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pelican Parts - $312 for Denso brand or $513 & change for a reman Porsche. Pick your poison.. Anyone comment on either from first hand knowledge of reliable rebuilds?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Denso is the original mfg Porsche used on these cars.

Denso compressor w/clutch can be had for $285, that is new.
You'll need a receiver/drier also

if you haven't already, cut the belt off so you can drive it.

There may be debris in the system if it failed as hard as it sounds like it did. That will require cleanup.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bstrutton
Pelican Parts - $312 for Denso brand or $513 & change for a reman Porsche. Pick your poison.. Anyone comment on either from first hand knowledge of reliable rebuilds?
Not a bad price. Thanks

Originally Posted by MarkD
Denso is the original mfg Porsche used on these cars.

Denso compressor w/clutch can be had for $285, that is new.
You'll need a receiver/drier also

if you haven't already, cut the belt off so you can drive it.
There may be debris in the system if it failed as hard as it sounds like it did. That will require cleanup.
Cut the belt and buy a drier. I like it. Will it turn on some status lights that will require the Hammer or the Stealer to turn off? And are there any DIY's written up for this proceedure?

Ken
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same happen to me a few years back. It was quite scary - until I cut the belt, as recommended. There are several good sources for remanufactured compressors. Check the Panorama ads. Some people recommend changing the evaporator at the same time as the drier. Certainly cannot harm. No lights should come on as a result of cutting the A/C belt, as far as I recall.

Good luck.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993Porsche
Cut the belt and buy a drier. I like it. Will it turn on some status lights that will require the Hammer or the Stealer to turn off? And are there any DIY's written up for this proceedure?

Ken
Shouldn't turn any lights on. While replacing the compressor is not that hard, it does take some specialized tools to deal with the freon that is in the system. If you had someone who was willing to get the freon out before you start, and the evacuate and recharge the system after, it wouldn't be that bad, but it may be a job that is best to leave to the pro's.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Reuben said, no lights will come on if the AC belt is not there.

You will need a new receiver/drier when the compressor is replaced.

I wouldn't go with a reman, the new units are pretty reasonable @$285

Edit: Davis beat me by a minute
I'll second the "leave it to the pros" comment. You need a vacuum pump (a good one) to service the AC system.
Also, if the pump ate itself, there may be metal in the system that needs to be cleaned out... they will know that once they get it out.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:06 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reuben
Had the same happen to me a few years back. It was quite scary - until I cut the belt, as recommended. There are several good sources for remanufactured compressors. Check the Panorama ads. Some people recommend changing the evaporator at the same time as the drier. Certainly cannot harm. No lights should come on as a result of cutting the A/C belt, as far as I recall.

Good luck.
Thanks so much. Not sure where the dryer is, but I'll look it up. Are the hoses difficult to take off and reinstall? Also how did you evacuate the system before installing freon back in?

Ken
Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Also, if the pump ate itself, there may be metal in the system that needs to be cleaned out... they will know that once they get it out.
Totally forgot about that. If the compressor failed internally, make sure you get the lines cleaned out, or you will get to buy another one soon. You may also need to replace the expansion valve, as that is one of the smallest ports in the system, and a place that metal likes to go.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Reuben
Some people recommend changing the evaporator at the same time as the drier.

Good luck.
thats some craziness. The drier is in the fenderwell, the evaporator is all the way under the dash. The two jobs are unrelated labor wise.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You almost defo have some metal in the lines. You'll need a new compressor (and go with new, not rebuilt) and a drier. The system needs a proper flush and vacuum to remove ALL the damaged compressor material. This needs to be done right and opening up the system won't really make it easier. Miss some shavings and there's 99% chance you'll be doing it again later with yet another new compressor. I strongly recommend that you take it to an A/C specialty shop that has the equipment and knows what it's doing, not the dealer as A/C is not their specialty. A good indy A/C shop will also sell you the correct compressor, probably for not much more than Pelican. Buy it from the shop because if they miss some debris and it munches your new compressor the second round will be on their dime, not yours.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:47 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
Totally forgot about that. If the compressor failed internally, make sure you get the lines cleaned out, or you will get to buy another one soon. You may also need to replace the expansion valve, as that is one of the smallest ports in the system, and a place that metal likes to go.
Sounds good Davis. I found three expansion valves in the PET file. Is that the one that's connected to the evaporator?

Could you also point out where the drier is that I need to buy? Thanks

Ken
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

The drier is under the front driver's side fender liner just in front of the door. $50 part - 944 573 143 01. Called a dessicator in the PET.

I'm not sure you can replace the expansion valve without major surgery. I know the evaporator is a gas tank out deal, and the valve sits right next to it.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't go with a reman, the new units are pretty reasonable @$285

Thanks for everyone's help. Most appreciative.

Does anyone have a favorite/reputable supplier for a new compressor?

Ken
Old 06-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Ken, if you tackle this yourself I hope you keep us updated. I just bought via Amazon a brass manifold gauge set, can tap valve, and a twin port vacuum pump. Total was under $200. I'm getting ready to tackle the a/c on my girlfriends Isuzu Rodeo. I've never done an evacuation and refill (only a top off) but it just doesn't look too hard. At least I'll have the tools if I ever need to do one of my cars. Good luck.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Just Burnt Up (Black Smoke Everywhere)