993 Forum 1995-1998

Possible SAI issues??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible SAI issues??

So I was driving the car today and the dreaded CEL came on. I pulled over and checked the entire car out and nothing obviously wrong with it so I drive it home and start thread searching. I just had the 60K service done about 250 miles ago and a few weeks ago I had the dealer replace all the belts and a sensor that was damaged when the alternator belt broke.

My question is? What is involved with fixing the SAI issue? I have read things that say it is pretty easy and straight forward and then I have read that it really requires a top end rebuild??? The car doesn't burn any oil and has no leaks at all. It runs beautifully too! I have heard that the CEL/SAI issue is a nightmare to deal with, I just want to know what I might be in for. My indy is going to be looking at the car this week, so I will know for sure what the CEL code is. Until then any information on the SAI issue fix or what goes into a top end rebuild would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 05-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

ryan, calm down there are tons of things that could cause a CEL without the car running funny.

I'd just hang out until your mechanic tells u what the code is.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:59 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It could simply be a failed O2 sensor, or a loose gas cap. Take a deep breath.

It could also be a failed component of the SAI system other than clogged ports.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:59 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

I just had the CEL come on a trip to Madison...I stopped in at a Porsche shop there and it was the SAI code...this is the second time I have had it (came on once right after cleaning the ISV). Anyway, I cleared it the first time and it came back a month later...Kelly Moss Motorsports cleared it and Im sure it will come on again. My car had a great compression/leak down test and burns no oil either...Ill just be cleaning the ports sometime soon I think...doesn't look like too bad of a job.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ryan, calm down there are tons of things that could cause a CEL without the car running funny.

I'd just hang out until your mechanic tells u what the code is.
+1. I too would be a bit anxious if the CEL lite up on me so I am glad there are some calm voices on this forum.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
+1. I too would be a bit anxious if the CEL lite up on me so I am glad there are some calm voices on this forum.
P0410 and P1411 are the SAI clogged port codes.

As stated above, lots of other relatively benign things can also trigger a CEL.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PM sent
Old 05-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Since your car was just worked on, my guess is they either didn't reconnect something, unplugged a vacuum line, or something else. There are hundreds of codes that cause a CEL, read it then you can freak out.

NEVER buy an older Audi, they CEL come on all the time in them.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Get a cheap OBDII reader and keep it in the car. I have this: http://www.amazon.com/OBDII-Engine-S...6858217&sr=8-1 It costs $30, fits in the door pocket, and can read and clear codes. Works on any MY96 and newer car, not just Porsches.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of causes for a CEL. Could even be from the new belts if not properly shimmed and tension.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, it is probably an unplugged vacuum line. This would be true especially if both the 0410 and 1411 codes pop at the same time (normally an true SAI issue will only pop a code on one side not both.). If it is an SAI issue, take a deep breath and take care of it yourself. I did a write up that is in the DIY section. Anyone can do it, and it will solve the problem. You should also purchase a cheap code reader at your local auto parts store.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:49 PM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have said, check your vacuum lines. I had suspension installed and about 5 cold starts later the CEL came on. I had Autozone read the codes and, sure enough, it indicated both banks for bad SAI. After a brief heart attack I realized that both banks probably wouldn't become clogged at the exact same time. Then I remembered the recent servicing and figured that had to be it.

I've got a turbo, which has the intercooler blocking everything. But with a flashlight I was still able to look around and I found the vacuum line to the SAI valve was disconnected. So it was an easy fix, but you still have to have the codes cleared, because I don't think the SAI codes clear themselves. At least mine did not.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Jeff U
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryguy993
...My question is? What is involved with fixing the SAI issue? I have read things that say it is pretty easy and straight forward and then I have read that it really requires a top end rebuild??? The car doesn't burn any oil and has no leaks at all. It runs beautifully too! I have heard that the CEL/SAI issue is a nightmare to deal with, I just want to know what I might be in for. My indy is going to be looking at the car this week, so I will know for sure what the CEL code is. Until then any information on the SAI issue fix or what goes into a top end rebuild would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ryan
At the extreme, you end up doing a top end rebuild of the motor.

It is not the top end that fixes the problem but in order to completely access the ports you need to take the motor apart to get to the head. Replacing valves, guides, etc… (the top end) is one of those "as long as we are in there" repairs. Also, I think one of the potential causes of clogged SAI ports is oil leaking through worn valve guides.

To keep the dreaded CEL problem at bay, many mechanics have developed a "cleaning process" to perform on a somewhat regular basis to clean out the ports if they are not completely clogged.

Basically, they remove the SAI check value and use the opening as an access port to introduce both mechanical and chemical cleaning. If using a lot of solvent it is a good idea to remove the exhaust system to avoid the solvent from screwing up the catalytic converter.

You want to periodically replace that check valve. It is designed to stop back flow from the exhaust manifold from getting into the SAI ports. When it fails it allows carbon soot from the exhaust to get in and begin clogging the ports.

Additional Information:

http://www.bodymotion.com/check_engine_light.asp
Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SAI check valve protects the SAI air pump from exhaust gasses. When the engine is running, the SAI ports are constantly exposed to exhaust gasses.

Cleaning the SAI ports can last 10K, 20K, 30K and more miles...
depends on valve guide and seal condition. Driving conditions the car sees can also be a factor.

Complete SAI port cleaning job including replacement of SAI check valve takes approximately 4 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Really depends on condition of the SAI check valve and exhaust hardware. If it's crusty, it takes longer.

Ryan, as others have said, your CEL could be many things... hope it isn't anything costly. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 303 Posts

Did some one say SAI?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Possible SAI issues??