993 Forum 1995-1998

Upgrades I Regret

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrades I Regret

Due to a little thief pulling a break and enter on my daily driver I've had to put the 993 into action for this week. While I certainly like getting more use out of the car a couple of the more recent mods are bugging me. I added a LWF and 911 Chip last year and neither of these is making me happy (the newly added RS mounts are okay but a very subtle improvement at most) The engine pings at low revs in low gears sometimes and this is with the good 91 octane stuff. It behaves better on the 94 ethanol blend (10%) which is not convenient to get. While there is very little gearbox rattle with the LWF it still stalls occasionally and the revs bounce around a lot at the lights while it hunts for idle. I'm trying to adapt my driving style to not push the clutch in until around 1000 rpm but I don't like this much. Interestingly enough the rpms don't bounce around when the engine is still cold. The idle is about 850 rpm and I'm still diddling with the ISV. Anyone out there have any suggestions?
ps the short ratio gearbox is awesome!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

When its cold the idle is higher...perhaps that is why its not stalling? If you leave the A/C on, does it stall then (due to the forced higher idle).

Some people have had success with the Wong chip...not sure myself. By diddling with the ISV, you mean adjust it for idle increase?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still regret passing on that short ratio box. I would remove the sealant on the end of the ISV and raise the base idle perhaps another 100-150rpm I think you can also open the throttle plate slightly also.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:18 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

You probably do not have a chip that is matched to your LWF, etc.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:54 AM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike J
When its cold the idle is higher...perhaps that is why its not stalling? If you leave the A/C on, does it stall then (due to the forced higher idle).

Some people have had success with the Wong chip...not sure myself. By diddling with the ISV, you mean adjust it for idle increase?

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks Mike. I'll try the A/C (never use it) and yes, increasing the idle with the ISV.

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
I still regret passing on that short ratio box. I would remove the sealant on the end of the ISV and raise the base idle perhaps another 100-150rpm I think you can also open the throttle plate slightly also.
I have removed the sealant on the ISV and moved it around. How do I open the throttle plate slightly? It might be worth a try.

Originally Posted by x50type
You probably do not have a chip that is matched to your LWF, etc.
It is supposed to be. There is no Porsche dyno tuning experts around here that I know of so who knows.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Any thoughts of a future LWF install are erased by posts like this. Way too much work & expense to then end up with an ill-behaved 993. No thanks.

Matt - sorry that you're experiencing this.

Andreas
Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It is supposed to be. There is no Porsche dyno tuning experts around here that I know of so who knows.
Just call Steve Wong. As I recall he has several varieties of this chip and unless yours was made specifically for a '95 with LWF it will not correct the stalling issue. I consider my Steve Wong chip to be the best mod I have done.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:58 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I also installed a LWF with Steve Weiner chip but I have a 97 model. No problems to report whatsoever. No stalling, rock solid idle and nice performance change. Definately noticable over my old setup.
Anybody using modified ignition parameters needs to run higher octane. I run 98 (RON) and it's running fine, no pinging.
I can only recommend this mod.
Ed
Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Any thoughts of a future LWF install are erased by posts like this. Way too much work & expense to then end up with an ill-behaved 993. No thanks.

Matt - sorry that you're experiencing this.

Andreas
Agreed.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by EckFe1
I also installed a LWF with Steve Weiner chip but I have a 97 model. No problems to report whatsoever. No stalling, rock solid idle and nice performance change. Definately noticable over my old setup.
Anybody using modified ignition parameters needs to run higher octane. I run 98 (RON) and it's running fine, no pinging.
I can only recommend this mod.
Ed
Yes-that's because you have a '97. LWF is a great mod but if you have the older cpu, you need to address the idle. The computer in most 95's are different and cannot re-calibrate to compensate for the lower mass flywheel.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 95 with a LWF and a chip from Steve Weiner. He asked what octane was available in my area before programming the chip. I have no stalling issues at all.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 706 Likes on 316 Posts

Contact Steve Wong www.911chips.com

He will map out a chip for you based on your fuel & mods etc. He re-works the idle parameter so it wont hunt or stall.

Good Luck
Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt777
While there is very little gearbox rattle with the LWF it still stalls occasionally and the revs bounce around a lot at the lights while it hunts for idle. I'm trying to adapt my driving style to not push the clutch in until around 1000 rpm but I don't like this much. Interestingly enough the rpms don't bounce around when the engine is still cold. ps the short ratio gearbox is awesome!
I did the same LWFW mod. The car is a little less well behaved, but IMHO the net increase in performance is well worth it. The engine now spools up the way a sports car should. I have had the LWFW for a couple of years now and many thousands of miles. I have only stalled the car one time. My car too idles a bit lower at approximately 800 rpms and the gearbox/clutch groans when it is lugged especially in 2nd gear at low rpms. I can live with that

I do wish I had that shorter gearbox….

Bob-
Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I added a LWF and 911 Chip last year and neither of these is making me happy "
"The engine pings at low revs in low gears sometimes and this is with the good 91 octane stuff. It behaves better on the 94 ethanol blend (10%) which is not convenient to get"

One of the very few realest who's honest and upfront!

Bottom line: To make for the 'performance feel', the 993 engine needs
to be 'pushed' beyond what Porsche considered to be optimum to the
point of being problematic, i.e. 'Performance Chip' - a ripoff, especially
the '97-'98 re-flash or the '96 Mickey Mouse piggy-back!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I have a 95 with a LWF and a chip from Steve Weiner. He asked what octane was available in my area before programming the chip. I have no stalling issues at all.
Ditto. I love my LWF and makes heel-toe much easier.

Quick Reply: Upgrades I Regret