Sponsored by:

Why do 993's cost so much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Hmmm, these days I counsel people not to dream of financing an 8, 10, 12 or whatever year old Porsche for street use, and I know there are differing opinions on this....but a track car being financed?
Ed

I can say from personal experience, there is nothing fiscally responsible about "track" and "Porsche" when the words are used together. No matter how old the Porsche is.

Add "racing" and the financial irresponsibility borders on the congressional level.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:06 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I should sell my car in Switzerland...
Old 05-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Ed

I can say from personal experience, there is nothing fiscally responsible about "track" and "Porsche" when the words are used together. No matter how old the Porsche is.

Add "racing" and the financial irresponsibility borders on the congressional level.
I hear you on that!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Maybe 993s are priced relatively high because of the the emotional rewards that come with them.

(still fun to watch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1PGYGxC0mw
Old 05-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I on the other hand would say that many lack one extremely important thing in life...passion.

And its even more lacking in the younger generation...texting to the person sitting next to them , playing Gameboys all day long ...now those people really need to get a life.
I'm probably one of the youngest 993 drivers out there being only 2 years older than my 993, and I completely agree with you. There really seems to be a lack of passion in our generation. I've met quite a few that says their hobby is sleep and eat as if they just want to get through life, whereas I could proudly say I love specifically 993, I love architecture, I love fish keeping, I love etc etc. Not saying that is a sleep and eat is bad thing, but we all sleep and eat, so the passion doesn't really shows through as everyone seems to be just as passionate about those regular activities. I'm studying architecture right now, and it seems like more than 3/4 of the people would choose the generic way (such as triangulating a surface vs exploring with curves) to meet the requirement. There seems to be a lack of passion to stand out and be different as groups huddle together to text. Just the other day, my friend asked me what car he should get, and I told him he should find the one that calls to your heart, and he replied "but i just want a car, maybe a blue one" Relating back to 993, 993 is not just a car, it requires passion (bonding time). It requires the courage to stand out from the crowd that gets new cars based on performance spec( or gas mileage) (which was what the mass-manufactured 996 seems to be mostly targeting). Consequently, it costs more just to be a "special" one instead of being generic , just as it would cost more to customize anything these days. Which Porsche recognizes these days and takes advantage of it , hence the marketing move of coming out with black edition ; not saying it is not a pretty car, but it just lacks that passion when the special qualities that comes with it is derived from numbers ($).
Old 05-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatos
I'm probably just mildly retarded, but I find it quite humorous that you're slamming QC about not succumbing to groupthink when we're talking about a car which is typically obtained to express one's individualism.
Are you really equating purchasing a mass-produced sports car with individual expression??
Old 05-20-2011, 07:04 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Halcyon, you're far more mature than your chronological age. An individual who recognizes his passions in life and follows that path will be far more successful/happy than those who simply go through the motions for safety and/or financial reward. Life is truly too short to drink bad wine (or beer) and drive boring cars.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Toto111
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

993s cost so much because I have the privilege of living in Australia!

Examples currently for sale:

C2 Tip $89,000
C4S $134,500
TT $179,000

No wonder I'm still Porscheless!!!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To get around the financing issue I financed my 2006 Jetta (which I already owned) and spent the money on the Porsche. Of course at that time (almost 2 years ago) KBB for the 993 was only $18k because they obviously weren't paying attention. I am still making payments on my Jetta-Porsche and it's been one of the best cars I have owned (my 65 Mustang Fastback and 66 Dart GT Convertible were both pretty cool in their own ways).

Most of us will never be able to safely drive even an "underpowered" 993 past 8 tenths of the limit.
Depends what you're trying to do. Although I don't street race it's a bit of a let-down when a new Subaru or Mustang revs it's engine next to you and you have to let them go to save yourself the embarrasment. All I'm saying is an extra 100hp couldn't hurt.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:53 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it was you seeming to ask opinions on that car....
It was more of a representation of the kinda' car I'm looking for than the specific car, although that particular one is absolutely beautiful.

As far as Victory is concerned, I learned all about them when I was looking to buy my first Porsche, the 996 I now have, though I appreciate you trying to save me any heartache.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:56 PM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 993 is not a daily driver! If you have to borrow the money, well you simply can't afford one. I drive my cars on ocasion when the weather is perfect, it makes driving them special, something to look forward to. As a daily driver they become just another car.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RBP
The 993 is not a daily driver! If you have to borrow the money, well you simply can't afford one. I drive my cars on ocasion when the weather is perfect, it makes driving them special, something to look forward to. As a daily driver they become just another car.
Well, in Ottawa, perhaps they can't be daily drivers unless they have ice stakes....

Sorry could not resist. There was a thread a while ago about borrowing to afford a car vs. cash...and there are definitely two camps. I am on the cash side, but leveraging that cash to make money using borrowing tactics is great, but pushing your financial limits via borrowing just to get a luxury such as a pcar is nuts.

I drive my car most days to work etc. but if its raining really heavy, or icy or whatever I take the truck...its just easier and no worries. The problem is space, my two kids do not fit in the rear anymore, so the 911 has fallen from daily driver to fun driver.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RBP
The 993 is not a daily driver? More like a 993 is not a daily driver if you live in Canada perhaps.

Here in Los Angeles, the weather is almost always perfect, and my 993 C4S has been my daily driver for the past 5 years
Old 05-20-2011, 08:03 PM
sandersd
Pro

Hmmm, these days I counsel people not to dream of financing an 8, 10, 12 or whatever year old Porsche for street use, and I know there are differing opinions on this....but a track car being financed?
No, No, No. Not a track car. A car that can be taken to the track, i.e. a daily driver that I take to DEs, etc. As far as financing a twelve year old car: I wish I was in a position to pay 35k cash for a car - any car. If you can, great, but not everyone who loves Porsche can do that. Maybe one day...
Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 PM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by RBP
Completely, one hundred percent disagree. It's just a car, it was made to be driven, to each his own - it's your money.

Quick Reply: Why do 993's cost so much?