Sponsored by:

Why do 993's cost so much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RBP
The 993 is not a daily driver! If you have to borrow the money, well you simply can't afford one. I drive my cars on ocasion when the weather is perfect, it makes driving them special, something to look forward to. As a daily driver they become just another car.
Couldn't disagree more. I drive mine every day (5,000 miles/yr.) here in AZ. We have 7 months of true top down weather (mid-October to mid May). It is a true joy of which I never tire. I've thought about getting a coupe as well for, as strange as it may sound, the summer months. Sorry to admit, I'm just nuts about my car.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread is not helping my already deep doubts I have in selling my turbo...
Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id rather see pics with the black car from the other car bay

Originally Posted by 993James993
Can you please post a foto showing all three, including your RS America?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Halcyon
Just the other day, my friend asked me what car he should get, and I told him he should find the one that calls to your heart, and he replied "but i just want a car, maybe a blue one"

Relating back to 993, 993 is not just a car, it requires passion (bonding time). It requires the courage to stand out from the crowd that gets new cars based on performance spec( or gas mileage) (which was what the mass-manufactured 996 seems to be mostly targeting). ($).
Firstly, what I've bolded in your post almost makes me sick. Purchasing a car, any car, does not require courage. Courage is an 18 year old going to war...courage is the men and women who risk their lives daily as policemen/firemen etc. It takes no courage whatsoever to buy a car.

Now that thats over with. lets take your points one by one.

Your friend with the "i want a blue one". Perhaps he doesn't care about cars, many people don't. Just like I don't care about smartphone gizmos, if someone told me to "follow my heart", I'd say I want one with a keyboard. Both are appliances to some people.

I don't think it takes passion to like a 993. Its a perfectly useable car, and when they were new, there were plenty of non-enthusiasts driving them.

Overall, I'm glad your passionate about life and your hobbies, but it truly is JUST a car.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Courage is an 18 year old going to war...
No, that is stupidity. It'll be an absolute zero day in hell if I am going to get shot up for the interests and agendas of the few, usually rich ******. Worse yet, in most cases those heading into war have the least to gain and the most to lose...their lives.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Firstly, what I've bolded in your post almost makes me sick. Purchasing a car, any car, does not require courage. Courage is an 18 year old going to war...courage is the men and women who risk their lives daily as policemen/firemen etc. It takes no courage whatsoever to buy a car.

Now that thats over with. lets take your points one by one.

Your friend with the "i want a blue one". Perhaps he doesn't care about cars, many people don't. Just like I don't care about smartphone gizmos, if someone told me to "follow my heart", I'd say I want one with a keyboard. Both are appliances to some people.

I don't think it takes passion to like a 993. Its a perfectly useable car, and when they were new, there were plenty of non-enthusiasts driving them.

Overall, I'm glad your passionate about life and your hobbies, but it truly is JUST a car.
I believe you are trying to be technical in terms of defining what exactly are courage and passion. Philosophers try to do that day and night, trying to argue against each other because they define a word in different ways. Courage and passion cannot be bought and sold, so it is hard to quantify, and it is hard to say the quality of them as everyone has a different scale for measuring (a "10/10 brave" might mean climbing up a tree to save a kitty to someone or jumping on a grenade in order to save the rest of the squad to another another person). So inconsistent quantitative and qualitative data makes it hard to define what exactly courage and passion might be. I respect your view but does not necessary agree with it.

I agree those that risk their lives for others must be applaud for their bravery and courage at a much higher level. I also agree it takes no courage to BUY one. But to choose which one, that certainly requires *some* degree of courage. This is where our opinion diverge. When there is risk, there is courage. There is always a risk when one tries to stick out from the crowd, as in nature, the little sardine that wanders away from the school always get eaten first. We perhaps find it rewarding to be sticking out by driving a 993 around and doesn't take that as a risk, because that is actually not the risk part. The risk is being rejected from the more commons, perhaps for looking better than them(cocky, i know...but true ) , or perhaps for burning more gas or w/e. But the risk , as minimal as it seems to the risk that policemen are taking, it is definitely present. So correspondingly ( to scale) , little risk requires little courage. But nonetheless, it takes little courage to choose a car that is different than what "normal" people would choose.

When you said "it truly is JUST a car", I take it that you don't think a 993 is different from other cars. Then why exactly did you pick a 993 over , lets say... a corolla. Don't tell me you really made little strips of paper with different car names written on it, and picked it out of a hat purely by random chance. There must be something different that appeals to your heart. I do have no doubt that there were(and still are) some non-enthusiast that bought it for performance stats(mostly back when it was new), but for usability, doubt that as it is not the most spacious/ fastest/ecofriendly/safest vehicle out there. As time move on, those non-enthusiast follows the later technology.

I'm not going to argue whether it takes passion or not to like something as the definition of passion, as i said before, is subjective. I personally do think that passion and like is synonym and one cannot exist without other.

As for people who doesn't care about what they get, I would say they aren't the brightest consumer. Any consumer should be aware of what they are paying and what value they are getting. When you follow your heart, that means you have certain preference on one over another, and that would mean that one has more value than another. Value is set by the consumer, and it is subjective.

Relating back to why 993 seems to worth more than 996. The majority of us here have found certain qualities in a 993 that we like/feel passionate about, hence we value the 993 higher than the 996. For example, our preference of 993 round headlights over the 996 badly fried egg headlights, thats worth x value to us. I have no doubt there are 996 people that feel exactly how we feel about the 993, but much less as it is a newer model that seems to be still in the mostly non-enthusiast phase.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

As for people who doesn't care about what they get, I would say they aren't the brightest consumer.
And most of them aren't.

Remember that infomercial where they run an engine without oil, thanks to an additive that was used previously in the last drain. I wonder how many bought that crap. Proof that consumers aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:08 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RBP
The 993 is not a daily driver! If you have to borrow the money, well you simply can't afford one. I drive my cars on ocasion when the weather is perfect, it makes driving them special, something to look forward to. As a daily driver they become just another car.
Disagree. Mine is a daily driver, and it is anything but "just another car" for me. I get a thrill when I slip into the seats, and the cozy cockpit and turn the ignition everytime...
Old 05-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree - it's all about supply and demand.

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
+993 and I believe the GT3 has some 993 in it, like the block is 993....
I thought that the 996 GT3 and Turbo actually had a 964 part numbered block following the development of the GT1?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 AM
ad-01
Advanced

Sexy looks the mean last of the oil cooled its just the sexiest car ever built and i cant wait to get mine
Old 05-21-2011, 06:12 AM
parsonii
Racer

Originally Posted by ryano
Id rather see pics with the black car from the other car bay
sure thing ryan i can do that.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:32 AM
parsonii
Racer

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
SANDERSD probably got a lot of car for $28K but the "Desireability" factor enters the equation. How many 996 owners look over their shoulders after parking just to admire their car? How many 996 owners just go to the garage for a chance to do a little more "bonding"? How many 996 owners just can't wait for the excuse to get in their cars and go somewhere? Even the earlier 997's are depreciating at a rapid rate while the 993's are holding their own.
i look over my shoulder all the time after i park my car to admire it.

Originally Posted by Shake
I used to extremely dislike the styling of the 996, but now when i look at a nice clean example, without comparing it to former 911's, it's not a bad looking car at all. At some point, way way in to the future, the 996 will go up in value.
the 996tt is best bang for the buck in the porsche world. period. the metzker gt1 engine block is robust and you can make this car go stupid fast with very little money. the beauty of this car is in the platform and it's reliability. and besides i don't think it looks bad at all.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:04 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To get back to the OP: it is all about charisma, it isn't about HP, high tech aids, etc. It is all visceral, and either you sense it or you are immune to it. Just that simple...
Old 05-21-2011, 08:15 AM
ericthepilot
Racer

it's just cool, aircooled and sweet sexy lines ....
delivered by Porsche
what else is there to ask for ?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

But to choose which one, that certainly requires *some* degree of courage. This is where our opinion diverge. When there is risk, there is courage. There is always a risk when one tries to stick out from the crowd, as in nature, the little sardine that wanders away from the school always get eaten first. We perhaps find it rewarding to be sticking out by driving a 993 around and doesn't take that as a risk, because that is actually not the risk part. The risk is being rejected from the more commons, perhaps for looking better than them(cocky, i know...but true ) , or perhaps for burning more gas or w/e. But the risk , as minimal as it seems to the risk that policemen are taking, it is definitely present. So correspondingly ( to scale) , little risk requires little courage. But nonetheless, it takes little courage to choose a car that is different than what "normal" people would choose.

When you said "it truly is JUST a car", I take it that you don't think a 993 is different from other cars. Then why exactly did you pick a 993 over , lets say... a corolla. Don't tell me you really made little strips of paper with different car names written on it, and picked it out of a hat purely by random chance. There must be something different that appeals to your heart. I do have no doubt that there were(and still are) some non-enthusiast that bought it for performance stats(mostly back when it was new), but for usability, doubt that as it is not the most spacious/ fastest/ecofriendly/safest vehicle out there. As time move on, those non-enthusiast follows the later technology.

As for people who doesn't care about what they get, I would say they aren't the brightest consumer. Any consumer should be aware of what they are paying and what value they are getting. When you follow your heart, that means you have certain preference on one over another, and that would mean that one has more value than another. Value is set by the consumer, and it is subjective.
Although there really isn't a point in argument, I still can't believe you think it takes any courage to select a vehicle. I don't care if i'm "rejected" by my peers for the piece of steel I happen to park my driveway. Life is too short for me to worry about that crap. I suppose we have very different definitions of courage.

No, my heart was not involved in my purchase decision. The 993TT happened to check all the boxes. It met the performance needs I had, it was nice enough looking, and its ownership cost and purchase price were affordable. Could have just as easily been an F355 or a 360 if I had found the right one first. Then again, that has nothing to do with my point.

The 993 is just a car. A toyota corolla is just a car as well. Does that mean there can't be differences? Of course not.

However, it makes me sad to see people personify vehicles...talking about soul especially. All it is is the combination of a bunch of parts. It takes it too far in my opinion to try to personify inanimate objects.

Some people use a car for transportation only. They probably don't care whether they get a corolla or a chevy cruze or whatever because its an appliance. Do I really follow my heart when I purchase a toaster? No, i find one that does what I need it to do, and thats it. If you don't enjoy driving, and aren't interested in cars, what is the real difference in one economy car to another.

I think you need to step outside of your "car enthusiast" mind to realize that cars mean absolutely nothing to some people.

Quick Reply: Why do 993's cost so much?