Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Are you guys into watches?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:38 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yep. dont get me wrong. i love PAMs. like many watches, the non-in house movements are very overpriced for what they are... in most cases, tiny ETA movements housed in huge cases. I have one of the automatic "cheaper" ones. I love the 1950s but just cant bring myself to spend the money for a PAM in house movement. IWC, different story. The Big Pilot is my favorite, and in a couple years on my 40th birthday, I plan to buy myself one. Having a Big Pilot for casual and a 5001-07 port auto for dressier occasions is all that I would ever need

I find Kobold watches interesting too. I guess basically I like watches that you dont see everywhere every day. Rolex is infinitely more quality/accurate than these brands (even IWC in my opinion) but I just see them SOOO much, more than PAM.

As others have said, if you want reliability, digital/quartz watches are the way to go, because most of these automatics arent very accurate really...its more about the craftsmanship. My brother was a submarine officer for many years and he said all the officers swore by Casio and other digital watches...
Old 05-07-2011, 06:41 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Memorable threadz:
"OT: Watches.."
"We need a 993 watch"
"cool PD watch and don't know what to do with it!"
"FS:WHITE GOLD Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph **SOLD**"
Originally Posted by camlob

Just like our cars, watches are pcs of art, but they can be worn.
Wrist art of car...

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot
Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca - Yeah the Tudor Heritage is a drivers watch! Ive been checking out some chrono's lately but havent pulled the trigger. Daytona is really what I like bec of its affinity to motorsports. Engine was being assembled but realized they
took off the cylinders, hence I needed more gaskets. So it will take more time.

Aatos - Nice Omega there. Is it a MKII?

Twinred - My bro has a 964 C4 and is willing to trade for some PAMs! But the is here in the Phil's! Too bad we are just an ocean apart.

MrSullivan - Yeah PAMs are too popular. Ive own my first one since 2007 and just changed it to this discontinued 61. I lke the historical story of Panerai with those navy divers piloting the subs.

gooballdeluxe - Wow a red sub!! Now if I had one of those....
Old 05-07-2011, 06:58 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Yes. Is this a Gunny strap on one of the pics?
Yeah its a Gunny caitlin. One other reason I like PAMs is because you can change the straps just in case you want a new look.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:08 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A real value at about $1k. Available as a chronometer for a bit more $, not much, like $300. Date version available too. I like the cleaner look.

Like IWC, one of the original manufacturers of the german pilot watches during the war
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob
Yeah its a Gunny caitlin. One other reason I like PAMs is because you can change the straps just in case you want a new look.
I have a Caitlin 2 for my PAM 111. Peter makes wonderful straps!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default IWC Porsche Design

I am a big fan of IWC watches.
Back in the 80's, IWC made the Porsche Design watches.
Attached are some pictures of the IWC Porsche Design watches in my
collection. I have both mens and womens of the sportivo in all
the colors that were available (EXCEPT the two tone). My wife wears the
womens 3/4 size. We each have the very rare solid 18k gold versions with
the gold face.

Last edited by 911Jeff; 05-26-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:20 PM
mg45
Intermediate

Default IWC..X 3..

...most recent a ceramic Ingenieur(black) with the sapphire glass back
Also one the superlight Titanium PD's pictured above
m
Old 05-07-2011, 09:26 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a stainless Rolex 16800 Sub I bought new, in about 84. It might get a matte face next time I service it. Apparently the serial was delivered either with the new or old face.A NOS Matte will cost about $1000 installed but may up it,s value enough to justify the change.. It,s beat up but still looks good as a daily wear watch it,s been great. Survived diving ,water skiing accidents etc and I have the box and original papers. I also have a two tone blue and gold 16613 which I wear as needed.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:14 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can add your wrist shots here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/watches/...re-thread.html
Old 05-08-2011, 02:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

yes,
pam 005, 000, 217, 127, 190
iwc 5002, 5004
pp jumbo nautilus
rolex SSD
Old 05-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Camlob,

Tudor Heritage chrono is a good piece for the money (well under $4k new). Has a date which is good. I love the advertisement which features a 910 Porsche racer and some great Marvin gay music. Launched in 1970 my birth date and a re release of a watch I owned the original version of until recently it seemed to make sense for a 40th bday gift. Its very well made with a solid link bracelet oyster bracelet (wider at the end links - 22mm - than the Rolex offering), larger case (42mm) and thicker 15mm weighing around 150 gram. Its got good presence and heft.....

IWC make some great stuff. My favourite was the Ti Aquatimer GST 2000. Thats a watch I miss alot. Was supurbly accurate too and bullet proof.

Great to hear your engine is coming together. If youve had the heads off youve gone a lot deeper than I have so Im predicting with that Dc24 cam you should be making some great gains on the stock 272 bhp. Cant wait to see the results...
Attached Images      
Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an interest in watches, but any real interest in collecting them I have not. Many years ago I bought a vintage Rolex Submariner. At that time everyone either bought a new Rolex or an asian copy. You could not really tell the difference if you didnīt have had the opportunity to hold them in your hands and knew what to look for.

I wear my submariner everyday. I inherited a Omega Costallation from early 60īs from my grandfather and another Costallation from my father from the 70īs.

If I would buy a "new" watch I would buy a vintage watch everyday in the week. Most new watches leave me cold.

The new Tudor Heritage Chrono looks nice, especially the brown variant together with the strap. I donīt know so much about the quality if compared to a Rolex. I belive they are not the same. The steel is probably of lesser quality and the clockwork also. The price reflects this so there should be no confusion.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:08 AM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
mooty
I see from you list we are two of the lucky ones to have the PAM 127!
I just came back from SFO last week where the guy at the jewelry nearby Union Sq. tried to sell me a Jumbo Nautilus. My wife gave him a dirty look and he ran away like a dog squealing with the tail between his legs...

Originally Posted by mooty
yes,
pam 005, 000, 217, 127, 190
iwc 5002, 5004
pp jumbo nautilus
rolex SSD
Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca is right about that Tudor - nice one.

Robert - Usually Rolex has an in house movement and the Tudor versions have modified ETA or other movements, the same as many other high end watchmakers. The Rolex movement is not pretty, but a workhorse. They talk about thief special 910 steel, but I don't think there's much to that. The other thing almost unique to Rolex is the ability to turn them into cash anywhere in the world at any time.

Quick Reply: OT: Are you guys into watches?