Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faded out wheel "crest caps"-Whats the best option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 11:41 PM
Mhodor1972
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you remove your original center caps? My ‘95 993 doesn’t have the holes in the crest? Thanks

QUOTE=rome;8530582]I replaced mine last year with hand painted colored caps from the factory. They were pricey but awesome...[/QUOTE]
Old 02-17-2019, 01:29 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Go to a hobby store and pick up some cheap artist fine tipped brushes and some Testors model paint in red, black and gold.

Clean the caps well with the plastic scrub side of a sponge and let them dry completely before hand painting and clear coating once the model paint is dry. They dont have to be perfect up close to look fantastic at 5 ft...

Yes its time consuming, but at the same time, rewarding.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:15 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mhodor1972
How did you remove your original center caps? My ‘95 993 doesn’t have the holes in the crest? Thanks

QUOTE=rome;8530582]I replaced mine last year with hand painted colored caps from the factory. They were pricey but awesome...
[/QUOTE]

Remove wheel and tap out from inside. A hammer handle works well
Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
I don't have a before shot, but these were worse than yours. I wet sanded them smooth, then clear coated them. Not perfect, but perfect for my track wheels.
Attachment 969873
+1
If you wet sand them with 1500 or 2000 grit wet sandpaper and then clear coat them with urethane spray paint, found with the wood finishes in the store not by all the color acrylic spray cans they can be made to look nearly new.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:20 AM
Mhodor1972
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand painted wheel crest caps?

Does anyone know the best place to purchase a new set of the hand painted wheel crest caps for a ‘95 993? I am looking for crests that do not have the two holes.

one person posted pics of his new hand painted caps and I am having difficulty locating them online. Perhaps suncoast auto parts?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Does anyone know the best place to purchase a new set of the hand painted wheel crest caps for a ‘95 993? I am looking for crests that do not have the two holes.

one person posted pics of his new hand painted caps and I am having difficulty locating them online. Perhaps suncoast auto parts?

Thanks
Are they really genuine Porsche items? Never seen them before!
Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks
You can find the hand-painted caps on eBay, but I’m not convinced these are factory, nor am I a fan. The paint doesn’t last long, they aren’t even clear coated, and the paint colors aren’t correct for the Porsche badge (ie they have white and yellow paint where it should be gold).

If the factory truly did hand paint these, they did a poor job IMHO

Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric

You can find the hand-painted caps on eBay, but I’m not convinced these are factory, nor am I a fan. The paint doesn’t last long, they aren’t even clear coated, and the paint colors aren’t correct for the Porsche badge (ie they have white and yellow paint where it should be gold).

If the factory truly did hand paint these, they did a poor job IMHO

+993
Old 02-27-2019, 09:29 AM
flashdavy
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi friends,
I just refinished and hand-painted my center caps on my lonesome. I will submit a picture of my work when i get home. I paint miniature models as a hobby, so this was child's play for me.
For a fair price, i could refinish and paint your existing center caps for you.

It's not that hard, but it does take patience. All you need is some Testor's model paint.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:35 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Factory never offered hand painted versions, plastic, resin, enamel yes
Old 02-28-2019, 10:49 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's what happens to the so-called "factory painted" caps after a short time: the paint chips and fades, especially the gold.

Mine (inherited with a set of wheels I bought) looked like that, so instead of repainting and keeping the hideously incorrect white and yellow motif, I scratched off most of the paint. Then sanded and repainted with gold, black, and red Testers enamel paints, followed with clear coat spray over just the crest. Super easy, if you don't mind detail work. No it's not perfect, but looks good overall. One mistake I made was not letting the paint dry for 3-4 days before clear coating. The clear coat sort of dissolved the gold, causing it to pull away from the edges a bit. Whatever, still good enough.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Here's what happens to the so-called "factory painted" caps after a short time: the paint chips and fades, especially the gold.

Mine (inherited with a set of wheels I bought) looked like that, so instead of repainting and keeping the hideously incorrect white and yellow motif, I scratched off most of the paint. Then sanded and repainted with gold, black, and red Testers enamel paints, followed with clear coat spray over just the crest. Super easy, if you don't mind detail work. No it's not perfect, but looks good overall. One mistake I made was not letting the paint dry for 3-4 days before clear coating. The clear coat sort of dissolved the gold, causing it to pull away from the edges a bit. Whatever, still good enough.

They may be factory painted, bug certainly not in the Porsche factory!

Quick Reply: Faded out wheel "crest caps"-Whats the best option?