993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil level - leave it alone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 04:59 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,211 Likes on 2,717 Posts
Default Oil level - leave it alone?

I had an oil change done and based on what I've read here, most would consider this more oil than necessary. Top of the twist and in the top part of the gauge when warm, idling on level ground.

No obvious smoke. Seems to drive well and I've seen no leaks (though I do have the engine tray on, so not totally sure there).

Can I just leave this alone, or do I need to go to the trouble of having it siphoned?

Old 02-25-2019, 05:30 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

Take another pic when your Temp Gauge hits half way. Your engine isn’t warmed up yet and betting your Oil Level will be full top position once warmed up.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:57 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Take another pic when your Temp Gauge hits half way. Your engine isn’t warmed up yet and betting your Oil Level will be full top position once warmed up.
Dipstick was checked when engine was piping hot after an aggressive drive.

Engine temps don't really seem to get much more than a click above 8 o'clock, but here's another pic.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2019, 06:10 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Temp should sit half way when oil is up to Temp..... let it idle till it does. Takes a good while for all 12 quarts to heat up! Especially if you are in a colder climate. So as long as you are driving the oil level needle should be pegged at the bottom while driving then rise at idle at a light or stop sign. Overfill will burn off but SAI problems may be in your future if you continue overfilling.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:15 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm no authority, for sure, but even since owning early 911s, I've always kept it about halfway on the dipstick. My early oil gauges never made much since to me, so I never even paid attention to them. On the 993, mine's never above half.

According to info on here, keeping it full may lead to the SAI problems.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:18 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Temp should sit half way when oil is up to Temp..... let it idle till it does. Takes a good while for all 12 quarts to heat up! Especially if you are in a colder climate. So as long as you are driving the oil level needle should be pegged at the bottom while driving then rise at idle at a light or stop sign.
To be honest, I haven't seen it that high. Of course, I'm usually driving only 30-40 minutes at a time with the A/C off in 60 degree weather right now. Of course it gets much hotter during the summer. When driving, the capacity dumps down to the bottom and and it rises when at a stoplight.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:21 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 516 Posts

Temp should sit half way when oil is up to Temp..... let it idle till it does. Takes a good while for all 12 quarts to heat up! Especially if you are in a colder climate. So as long as you are driving the oil level needle should be pegged at the bottom while driving then rise at idle at a light or stop sign.
Oil LEVEL needle, when car is all warmed up, generally when auxiliary fan starts, would be at 3 o'clock - correct? and with OIL temperature needle at 9 o/clock........that is what I have always been told........

If OIL LEVEL needle is above 3 o'clock the car is overfilled.........if the gauge can be trusted))))))
Old 02-25-2019, 06:22 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Oil LEVEL needle, when car is all warmed up, generally when auxiliary fan starts, would be at 3 o'clock - correct? and with OIL temperature needle at 9 o/clock........that is what I have always been told........the needles actually line up

If OIL LEVEL needle is above 3 o'clock the car is overfilled.........if the gauge can be trusted))))))
Old 02-25-2019, 06:27 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
Oil LEVEL needle, when car is all warmed up, generally when auxiliary fan starts, would be at 3 o'clock - correct? and with OIL temperature needle at 9 o/clock........that is what I have always been told........the needles actually line up

Oil temp yes 9 o’clock but OIL Level can vary based on calibration so always rely on your dipstick! Make sure you are on level ground as well and car up to temp 9 o’clock and running when checking dipstick.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:27 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Since you're asking, yes, IMHO, you need to lose some oil to bring the gauge and dipstick in the middle range or slightly below. Either siphon via the fill tube or drop either oil filter canister. Next time, warn whoever is doing your oil changes to stop one quart shy and give you the quart to adjust up if needed.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:06 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Since you're asking, yes, IMHO, you need to lose some oil to bring the gauge and dipstick in the middle range or slightly below. Either siphon via the fill tube or drop either oil filter canister. Next time, warn whoever is doing your oil changes to stop one quart shy and give you the quart to adjust up if needed.

Ok. I'm guessing lower oil capacity is ideal, but shouldn't actually cause harm if the oil is within the top of the twist on the dipstick? Not exactly sure when I'm going to have time to get around doing this.

What a pain in the @ss. It's so annoying to have to micro manage everything.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:30 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice leather dash. I have leather envy
Old 02-25-2019, 07:30 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

It probably won't cause immediate harm, but the excess oil gets sucked into the intake, and coats it with a film of oil. You may later see some seepage from "connecting piece", bottom center of the intake distributor if you shine a flashlight down there. Some authorities say that overfilling the oil contributes to SAI problems. You can slurp out the excess quickly with a rubber bulb syringe and a length of tubing via the oil filler neck.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:50 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a nice looking dash...

Oil looks high to me, assuming the gauge is calibrated... don't forget too that once the oil thermostat opens the temp gauge can drop. Feel the front fender to see if those lines to the front cooler are flowing.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:15 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Oil temp yes 9 o’clock but OIL Level can vary based on calibration so always rely on your dipstick! Make sure you are on level ground as well and car up to temp 9 o’clock and running when checking dipstick.
[/QUOTE]

Well, interesting for me......I have never checked my oil via the dipstick in over 20 years of ownership and 65,000 miles because I understand it is a PITA to re-insert.

I have relied on the gauge which has functioned consistently well over the years.

I have always topped up the oil when the auxiliary fan comes on at the 9'oclock temp needle position and topped up oil to 3'oclock level while car is running.....

I change my oil and filters at least every year with Mobil One 15-50W.............again interesting.......the frequent oil changes have probably prevented me from running low on oil, but then again the car is only driven a mx of 3k miles a year on average..........

Oil pressure functions the same as the day I bought it at idle and at speed........have not had a compression test.................engine runs great...........

Quick Reply: Oil level - leave it alone?