Notices

Faded out wheel "crest caps"-Whats the best option?

 
Old 02-16-2019, 11:41 PM
  #31  
Mhodor1972
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

How did you remove your original center caps? My ‘95 993 doesn’t have the holes in the crest? Thanks


QUOTE=rome;8530582]I replaced mine last year with hand painted colored caps from the factory. They were pricey but awesome...[/QUOTE]
Mhodor1972 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 01:29 AM
  #32  
nine9six
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nine9six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal
Posts: 5,346
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Go to a hobby store and pick up some cheap artist fine tipped brushes and some Testors model paint in red, black and gold.

Clean the caps well with the plastic scrub side of a sponge and let them dry completely before hand painting and clear coating once the model paint is dry. They dont have to be perfect up close to look fantastic at 5 ft...

Yes its time consuming, but at the same time, rewarding.
nine9six is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 05:15 AM
  #33  
Endoman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Endoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bolton UK
Posts: 491
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mhodor1972 View Post
How did you remove your original center caps? My ‘95 993 doesn’t have the holes in the crest? Thanks


QUOTE=rome;8530582]I replaced mine last year with hand painted colored caps from the factory. They were pricey but awesome...
[/QUOTE]

Remove wheel and tap out from inside. A hammer handle works well
Endoman is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM
  #34  
pp000830
Shade Tree Fixer
Rennlist Member
 
pp000830's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 5,430
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28 View Post
I don't have a before shot, but these were worse than yours. I wet sanded them smooth, then clear coated them. Not perfect, but perfect for my track wheels.
Attachment 969873
+1
If you wet sand them with 1500 or 2000 grit wet sandpaper and then clear coat them with urethane spray paint, found with the wood finishes in the store not by all the color acrylic spray cans they can be made to look nearly new.
pp000830 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 06:20 AM
  #35  
Mhodor1972
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand painted wheel crest caps?

Does anyone know the best place to purchase a new set of the hand painted wheel crest caps for a ‘95 993? I am looking for crests that do not have the two holes.

one person posted pics of his new hand painted caps and I am having difficulty locating them online. Perhaps suncoast auto parts?

Thanks
Mhodor1972 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 AM
  #36  
Railmaster.
User
 
Railmaster.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 996
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Mhodor1972 View Post
Does anyone know the best place to purchase a new set of the hand painted wheel crest caps for a ‘95 993? I am looking for crests that do not have the two holes.

one person posted pics of his new hand painted caps and I am having difficulty locating them online. Perhaps suncoast auto parts?

Thanks
Are they really genuine Porsche items? Never seen them before!
Railmaster. is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 AM
  #37  
TheOtherEric
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TheOtherEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,948
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Mhodor1972 View Post
Does anyone know the best place to purchase a new set of the hand painted wheel crest caps for a ‘95 993? I am looking for crests that do not have the two holes.

one person posted pics of his new hand painted caps and I am having difficulty locating them online. Perhaps suncoast auto parts?

Thanks
You can find the hand-painted caps on eBay, but I’m not convinced these are factory, nor am I a fan. The paint doesn’t last long, they aren’t even clear coated, and the paint colors aren’t correct for the Porsche badge (ie they have white and yellow paint where it should be gold).

If the factory truly did hand paint these, they did a poor job IMHO

TheOtherEric is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 AM
  #38  
Railmaster.
User
 
Railmaster.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 996
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric View Post

You can find the hand-painted caps on eBay, but I’m not convinced these are factory, nor am I a fan. The paint doesn’t last long, they aren’t even clear coated, and the paint colors aren’t correct for the Porsche badge (ie they have white and yellow paint where it should be gold).

If the factory truly did hand paint these, they did a poor job IMHO

+993
Railmaster. is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 09:29 AM
  #39  
flashdavy
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

hi friends,
I just refinished and hand-painted my center caps on my lonesome. I will submit a picture of my work when i get home. I paint miniature models as a hobby, so this was child's play for me.
For a fair price, i could refinish and paint your existing center caps for you.

It's not that hard, but it does take patience. All you need is some Testor's model paint.
flashdavy is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 03:35 AM
  #40  
911PERVY
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911PERVY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: London
Posts: 3,493
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Factory never offered hand painted versions, plastic, resin, enamel yes
911PERVY is online now  
Old 02-28-2019, 10:49 AM
  #41  
TheOtherEric
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TheOtherEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,948
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Here's what happens to the so-called "factory painted" caps after a short time: the paint chips and fades, especially the gold.


Mine (inherited with a set of wheels I bought) looked like that, so instead of repainting and keeping the hideously incorrect white and yellow motif, I scratched off most of the paint. Then sanded and repainted with gold, black, and red Testers enamel paints, followed with clear coat spray over just the crest. Super easy, if you don't mind detail work. No it's not perfect, but looks good overall. One mistake I made was not letting the paint dry for 3-4 days before clear coating. The clear coat sort of dissolved the gold, causing it to pull away from the edges a bit. Whatever, still good enough.


TheOtherEric is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 12:53 PM
  #42  
Railmaster.
User
 
Railmaster.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 996
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric View Post
Here's what happens to the so-called "factory painted" caps after a short time: the paint chips and fades, especially the gold.


Mine (inherited with a set of wheels I bought) looked like that, so instead of repainting and keeping the hideously incorrect white and yellow motif, I scratched off most of the paint. Then sanded and repainted with gold, black, and red Testers enamel paints, followed with clear coat spray over just the crest. Super easy, if you don't mind detail work. No it's not perfect, but looks good overall. One mistake I made was not letting the paint dry for 3-4 days before clear coating. The clear coat sort of dissolved the gold, causing it to pull away from the edges a bit. Whatever, still good enough.

They may be factory painted, bug certainly not in the Porsche factory!
Railmaster. is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Faded out wheel "crest caps"-Whats the best option?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: