Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Official Intro (NOW WITH PICS!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Z-nomore
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Official Intro (NOW WITH PICS!!)

Well, Hello everyone!

It is FINALLY time to introduce myself and more importantly my 993 I'm now officially a Rennlist member!!

Since I know everyone wants to see the pictures, I'll start by saying that I only have some really bad cell phone pics right now. I picked up the car Friday afternoon, worked Saturday and drove it pretty much all day Sunday, what can I say?? I promise as soon as I get a chance to take some decent pics I'll post them ASAP.

The observant ones will notice my join date, I guess you can say I have been lurking for a little while. I have actually wanted 993 since I was 15, which ironically enough was 1995. After reading the age thread I think I'm on the younger side of the Rennlist members.

I'm not sure where my affinity for Porsche actually started. Growing up my Dad had a Datsun '76 280ZX which he kept in immaculate condition. He had that car until I was 13 and I think he still regrets the day he sold it. I remember thinking that car was so cool. To this day he never replaced it with another sporty car, unfortunately. High school comes around shortly after he sold the Z, and I was somewhat disappointed thinking I was going to get to drive that car to school. Instead, I ended up with the family's '81 Volvo station wagon, the stereotypical maroon 80's box on wheels. Don't get me wrong though, I was VERY happy to have this car and be able to drive myself to school. Somewhere during this time period I was really getting interested in cars and Porsche 911s were the cars that caught my attention. I can't even really explain why I fixated on Porsche, I think it was the history, the racing heritage and there was just something different about them, that drew me to them. About this time, I started collecting posters, magazine articles and any pictures that I could find of 911s, mostly 993s as that was the car of the era. I had two posters on the wall in my bedroom of 993 Turbo's, which I still have, out in the garage now.

Time moves on, my younger brother starts driving the Volvo and I go to college. I come home for winter break as a freshman and my parents and I end up at Pioneer Center in San Diego one day. We were just walking around looking at all the fantastic 911s on the lot (this was 1998). The sales guy comes out and starts talking to us. After a little bit of small talk and its pretty clear we aren't there to buy anything. But, in the middle of the conversation I throw out the term "993" and he is completely shocked that I know the model designations for the 911s, keep in mind I was 18. So, he asks if we wanted to take it for spin (the car by the way was a '97 C4S, Guards Red/Cashmere and they were asking $74K at the time). Of course I say yes, with the Sales guy in the back seat my Dad driving and me in the passenger seat we set off. I think from that moment on I was officially hooked. After Dad a had turn, they actually let me drive. Now at this point I had driven some of my friends cars that were manual, but never had one of my own. Needless to say I stalled the thing twice, but it was the coolest driving experience I had at the time.

Fast forward to junior year, and I get end up making a deal with Dad and buying a '93 300ZX. Buying a 911 was not an option at this time. I still lusted after them though... I loved the Z, it was pearl white with a tan leather and suede interior. The car was immaculate when I bought it even though it had 70K miles on it. I ended up having the car for 6 years, doing about everything you can do within reason to modify it, and enjoying the hell out of it. I drove that car cross-country 5 times coast to coast and enjoying every minute of it. I sold the car with about 150,000 miles on it before I moved to Hawaii.

Meanwhile, I started indulging my other automobile obsession, Toyota Land Cruisers. After graduating from college I purchased my first Land Cruiser an '86 FJ60, I still had the Z as well. Land Cruisers caught my eye for some of the same reasons as the 911s including the history and tradition. As well, the bullet-proof reliability and off road capability were very intriguing. I envisioned myself driving across the Americas from Alaska to the tip of South America. For a while I was content with the Z and the Cruiser however, I alway kept up on the latest 911 iterations.

If you are still reading by now, I'll skip the details and just say that after 3 total Land Cruisers and a motorcycle, I have now finally taken the plunge and purchased a '96 C2. I have always kept on eye on the market and finally the timing worked out and I found a car that I was interested in at TruSpeed. Terry and Dick at TruSpeed were extremely helpful and made the transaction so easy. I ended up doing the PPI at Hergesheimers. Laura was so nice and spent a great deal of time with me on the phone answering all of my questions. I highly recommend both of them!!

A special thank you to my wife who endured countless hours of Porsche conversation and internet research through the years but never stopped supporting my quest for a P-car.

Details -
47,500 miles
Slate Gray
6-spd

Options:
Heated/Comfort Seats
Auto Speed Control
Lumbar Support (driver seat)
Sunroof
CDR210 radio
Supple Leather Seats/Trim
Soft Leather Rear

Known Mods:
Bilstein HD shocks
Aftermarket exhaust tips
Some sort of cupholder thing on the center console
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z-nomore; 05-02-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 AM
DesertBighorn
Instructor

Congrats on the car and welcome. Great color!!

-Doug
Old 04-28-2011, 02:24 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Great story, great car, and a new great member. Welcome to the madness. Sounds like you fit in nicely.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 AM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist, That is one nice 993 enjoy your new to you Porsche and Rennlist too....
Old 04-28-2011, 02:48 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! Best 993 colour IMO! Did you end up doing any overlanding with your 'Yotas?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 AM
J.Graham
Instructor

Birds of a feather... I also owned 3 cruisers (drove one to central America and back). Welcome and sweet ride. I love slate grey.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:56 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice one.
I was lusting after that one myself.
It is truly the best Porsche color.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Chuck-- Great intro. After 5+ years of lurking, you delivered with a solid thread.
Thanks for taking me back to school, when I longed for a 300Z. I'm there with ya, man. Sounds like you had a stand-out example.
Well done, followed now by acquiring what's arguably the best 993 color (along with Arena Red, IMHO).
Originally Posted by Z-nomore

Known Mod:
cupholder thing on the center console
Sell that ^^ 993 cup holder on eBay right now, & you'll have enough cash left over for many more mods

Welcome, drive safe, & have fun!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:09 AM
Halcyon
Racer

I think I saw your car while I was there to check out a different one . Great people there. Anyway, loving the slate gray and light marble gray leather right? love that too!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks like a solid car, congrats!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:01 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

This car caught my eye a few times when I was searching...love the color combo! Have fun!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful 993 and even better color!! I'm also a landcruiserholic. 2 FJ40's and a FJ62. Sadly I sold them all. They are perhaps the best looking and toughest trucks ever made. Good luck!!! I drool over slate gray.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Welcome and what a beautiful colour for a 993.

Although you did post one pic and there are the ones on the Truespeed site, we need to see more pics in it's new surroundings.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Spidey 993

Yes, I am a pic ***** myself. Congrats, great color combo and welcome to the board.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Z-nomore
Instructor

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

My wife is really the one who finally pushed me over the edge on purchasing the car. I was really sitting on the fence and seriously considering another Land Cruiser as I knew it was the more practical choice, especially with potential kids on the way. Man, I love her for supporting me in pursuing this dream!!

Prior to seeing this car, I thought I would end up with a Polar Silver car, but when I saw the pics and then saw it in person I knew this was the color I had to have.

Anyone have an opinion if this car is at RoW height? Its seems lower than stock, but I can't really tell in my limited experience. I know it does have the Bilstein HD shocks on it.

I knew you guys would want some pictures, but I have been working 6 days a week and haven't had a chance to take any yet. I'm working again this Saturday, so I will do my best to get some of my own pictures on Sunday.

Hopefully these pictures will suffice until the weekend...
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Official Intro (NOW WITH PICS!!)