993 Forum 1995-1998

993 coupe vs cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by zone5
Bottom line, if you roll a 993, coupe or cab, you are going to be dead or at best seriously injured.
I completely agree that rolling a cabriolet of any type without a roll bar is a recipe for serious personal injury or death. However, one member here managed to flip his roll bar-less 993 cab on the street and walked away. He is incredibly fortunate, but it goes to show how luck can determine the outcome of an incident such as this.

Regarding 993 coupes being easily destructible tin cans, I have to disagree. I have seen a number of 911's, 964's and 993's on the track that have rolled over, and I have been amazed at how well the structure withstood the flip. Although my 993 has spent most of its life with a DAS roll bar or Piper cage, these incidents further cemented my belief that I would easily survive putting the shiny side down.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
I ended up going the guards red route as the car was well sorted out with great upgrades and an attractive price (triple black would have been a bit more if found). 2 years into my ownership I love the color (and the fact that I don't have to wipe it down 24/7 to keep the dust off).
Guards red rocks in a cab ... I love the contrast between black top, black tires, silver rims and red paint!

Oh, excuse me for shilling again ... LOL
Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 2 911 coupes, one 911 turbo cab, 2 993 coupes and one 997 cab (don't ask) I presently have a 993 coupe. The difference in interior noise with the top up was one reason I chose a coupe as my latest Porsche. If wind in the face is important, and your not concerned about working on your melanoma, you will love the cab. If we all agreed about everything we would all be fighting over the same woman...Cheers..Chris
Old 04-26-2011, 02:27 PM
caedes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I am more than happy to have a cab instead of a coupe :
- in France, where we have a lot of automatic radars, that saves my driving license. At 180km/h, it starts to become very noisy with the roof, so it reminds you not to driver faster. At 130km/h (max speed in France) when roof open, it is quite unbearable.
- I prefer to cruise and enjoy the noise of the engine, rather than drive fast
- I open the roof even in winter, as soon as the temp is above 6/8°C. This is a real pleasure.

I admit the coupe is more beautiful compared to the cab with the top closed.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
Guards red rocks in a cab ... I love the contrast between black top, black tires, silver rims and red paint!
I agree.... even in other Porsche models.

Quick Reply: 993 coupe vs cabrio?