Sponsored by:

18 or 19" on a Targa

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:25 AM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
18's would be a good choice, but as far as those that that say 19's don't look good, I give you "exhibit A" (Mike J's Targa). I think this looks smoking hot!
and 19's
Old 04-21-2011, 03:04 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jo-hans
and 19's
Both Hans and myself have 19" Rufs in Hyper Silver. I also just picked up a set of 18" MY02's. Its interesting comparing the two kinds of wheels. Although everyone bashes the RUF's for being heavy, the difference between the two wheel types (and I mounted them off and on) is not very apparent with my hand-o-meter.

BTW, my car has PSS-9's and a RS bar in the rear, M030 in the front, Tarett toe control arms and Walrod's excellent front bushings. I usually run the PSS-9's almost full soft just because our roads are quite rough.

Feel:

The MY02's have a more compliant ride ; they are more comfortable on our local streets. They do not feel as planted at higher speeds, I think the heavier RUF's are more stable when spun fast. Lower speed turn-in is nice.

The 19" RUFs are harsher but also have a better road feel (makes sense). The low profile tires really hit potholes hard, but the wheels as super strong, and on last balance are still very straight and true. I do not believe the statement above that 19" wheels are weak, that is not true. As mentioned above, on higher speeds they are really stable

Looks

This is personal, but after having the RUF's on the car for a few years, the MY02's look small and, well, wimpy. The car sits less aggressively with the MY0's, but after a while they start to look better on the car. The guy I bought the MY02's from had them for his 996, and they were DIRTY. But, its nothing like doing a lot of cleaning of tar/road stuff/something like cosmoline off the insides of the wheels and now they look great since they are so open, and the insides of the wheels really shine.

Overall

I am privledged enough to have both sets, and a lift, so I can swap them back and forth as I like. I still prefer the RUF's from an overall look perspective than the MY02's, but for a daily driver like the MY02's ride. So, the MY02's are my daily driver, but when I need to dress up the car for a show, on go the RUF's.

To be clear, i have NO rattles even though I run relatively stiff suspension on a Targa, but do get the occasional rubber on glass squeak if the roads are rough...nothing you can really hear over the motor anyways.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

I have had 8 or 9 (cant remember) different sets of wheels on my car. I know I have a fetish.

18's in all different widths (rears from 10 to 12.5's) and 3 sets of 19's. Lobster claws (997) Champion RG5 Modular and a set of RS97 Monoblocks.

Lets not beat around the bush - looks are DEBATABLE. I like the look of some 18s and some 19's and not others - So I wont make a blanket statement - it all depends on the persons individual taste - ( a lot like... umm.... women)

My 19s run a more compliant ride than the 18's I have (currently) - depending on which tyre i have on. The 18s i use now are all R Spec - so the sidewalls are..... umm stiff. Yes - stiffer than a lower profile 19 inch tyre.

Everything's a compromise - and i agree with Mike. 19's are no weaker than 18's or 17's - but they may be more susceptible to bends/damage as the profile is usually lower.... but "I" think they look the ****!!!!!

Simon.
Attached Images        

Last edited by Full Boost; 04-21-2011 at 03:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 18 or 19" on a Targa