Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Who Gave Up Motorcycling for Sports Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 PM
svm9
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thoughts all! The pics of bikes on this thread are great. The Porsche's you folks have on here are just plain sexy! I drop in on this thread at least once a day to see what's been posted - bikes and cars. I've got to go drive one of these 993's soon. If they drive as good as they look I think I will end up owning one in my future.

Keep the opinions and pics coming. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:15 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Don't have a pic of my wife with her Trumph Bonnie, but here she is with her 993. The car is wonderful and really goes. I thought I'd feel any car kinda sluggish compared to my liter bike but that's not the case.

The car also has this sense of being of such high quality that it's a pleasure just sitting in it.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah... I'm an ex-motocross racer too! But was also into Harley's at the ripe old age of 16. Never did the crotch-rocket thing (unless I wa borrowing someone elses). Porsche bug took over many years ago but I keep a vintage Hog around for oldtime sake!

Last edited by onboost; 11-07-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Add me to the list of ex-Harley riders who swicthed to p-cars. Sold my sled to get my wife her engagement/wedding rings and a 928s. And so it began....
Old 03-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
I'm another of the motorcycling-was-my-life brigade. But as I got older and felt my mortality the desire to ride has dwindled........
I was already into Porsche and motorcycling. This was my last ride, 97 Bad Boy. Sadly no longer around. We took a slide 100k’s into a street pole and near jellied myself. 2 years re-hab but can’t depress a clutch with confidence so the 993 Tip Cab was the perfect next Porsche. But miss my riding greatly. So I restored a boat and took up sailing - softer landing
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sports cars are one of life's necessities, but I can't go without motorcycles either. I've had road bikes but inevitably (especially living in Utah) I'd pass lots of interesting dirt roads that were off limits for a sport bike. Then BMW invented the adventure bike. Now their version is a nice bike, but they are a street bike manufacturer that made a dirt bike. KTM is a dirt bike company that made a street bike. The KTM is less gentlemanly, just like my 993 (or me, for that matter).

Some other bikers don't know quite what to make of it. On one trip some Harley riders came over at a gas stop and asked about it, wondering just what it was good for. I'm congenial to all bikers, but probably even more so when one of them has a hot, leather-clad blonde perched on the back, with really big, curious eyes. I ended up riding with them for a few miles, at which point I peeled off onto a fire road, accelerated away from the hot, crowded traffic and 10 minutes later I was at 9,000 feet with no one else in sight.

Then after a fun day of this I headed back for a rendezvous with another hot blonde. The one I keep at home.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by utahrock
Then after a fun day of this I headed back for a rendezvous with another hot blonde. The one I keep at home.
There's about 100 great polygamy jokes I could make here, seeing that you live in Utah

Nice KTM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I keep telling myself that I haven`t given up bikes, which is why I can`t part with these two . Have owned the 851 since new in 89 and the GT since 91.
The 993 seems to scratch that itch that only bikes used to be able satisfy.
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 PM
fixedgame
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Z
Used to have several sport bikes. Did not have enough time to ride, so ended up selling them.
Some of the bikes I have owned are
Honda RC30 # 222 out of 300
Honda RC51
Honda VFR800
Honda CBR900
Several ZX 7 and a few GSX R 1100
The one I should have kept is the RC 30.
Have been considering buying a 2002-2006 VFR 800
AL Z
+1 RC30 is one rare and beautiful bike.

I am still kicking myself for not keeping my RVF400 with 600 mi on the clock.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by steve porter
I keep telling myself that I haven`t given up bikes, which is why I can`t part with these two . Have owned the 851 since new in 89 and the GT since 91.
The 993 seems to scratch that itch that only bikes used to be able satisfy.
I would never sell that 750! I doubt I'll ever stop riding - the sports cars are great, but they are not the same as the lean and acceleration of a bike - not to mention feeling the subtle changes in the air temp, or smells when on a great country road. They are both great past times but I am hooked on 2 wheels - plus much cheaper to keep a variety of them around and a lot easier to wrench and modify.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 PM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
There's about 100 great polygamy jokes I could make here, seeing that you live in Utah

Nice KTM.
Speaking of polygamy, we (the lost sheep) were having dinner with the religious side of the family the other day. I enjoy tweaking them a little bit, so I mentioned a thing or two about polygamy. My very nice, but very devout aunt strongly insisted that "The men didn't want polygamy, but they had to do their duty for the Church, and it was the hardest thing by far that they had ever done."

My wife and kids and I immediately had to bite our tongues to keep from bursting out laughing. We all were thinking of Dr. Strangelove, which we had recently watched. There is a scene where the General, after being told that they would have to hold up underground with several nubile girls for each man, asked "Am I to understand, Dr., that we would have to abandon the tradition of monagomy?" To which Dr. Stangelove replies "Sacrifices must be made..."
Old 04-09-2011, 03:36 AM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would never sell that 750! I doubt I'll ever stop riding - the sports cars are great, but they are not the same as the lean and acceleration of a bike - not to mention feeling the subtle changes in the air temp, or smells when on a great country road. They are both great past times but I am hooked on 2 wheels - plus much cheaper to keep a variety of them around and a lot easier to wrench and modify.

I stupidly sold these two to get the 851 (it seemed like a good idea, and something that had to be done at the time)
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, after a few years of not owning a bike (see post 35), I'm about to acquire a little number, exactly like this one:

The KTM is less gentlemanly...utahrock
utahrock: welcome. And you must be a hardass to ride with that stock seat.

I stupidly sold these two...steve porter
Ouch!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:44 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i sold this:

for this:

now she can come:
Old 04-09-2011, 06:51 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a few bikes but really haven't ridden much in the last year or so. Anyone want to by an MV Agusta 1000 F4 or a KTM Super Duke? Both have low mikes and live in the A/C.

Quick Reply: Who Gave Up Motorcycling for Sports Cars?