Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Gave Up Motorcycling for Sports Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:22 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I "want" an MV but it is not in the budget
Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 AM
RobMc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave up riding after a bad accident in 89. I really miss it but I promised my family I would quit riding. I have a snowmobile and an s2000 which somewhat fill the gap.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:30 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I have a few bikes but really haven't ridden much in the last year or so. Anyone want to by an MV Agusta 1000 F4 or a KTM Super Duke? Both have low mikes and live in the A/C.
few,,lol..I've seen them and they're as new..
Old 04-15-2011, 06:31 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by onboost
Yeah... I'm an ex-motocross racer too! But was also into Harley's at the ripe old age of 16. Never did the crotch-rocket thing (unless I wa borrowing someone elses). Porsche bug took over many years ago but I keep a vintage Hog around for oldtime sake!
bring that on Sunday...
Old 04-16-2011, 06:31 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I didn't read this whole thread, but jumping in late. I rode for a while when I was a "kid" because you could get a motorcycle license at 15.5, but the day I turned 16 I got my first sports car. I still had a friend's road racing bike stored at my house so I rode it now and then. To this day (45 years later, I still have a motorcycle endorsement on my CA drivers license), and I still think about getting something - mainly an urge to get a Ducati crotch-rocket sometimes. If it wasn't for having young kids on my second marriage/life, I probably would.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:13 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to be a motorcycle fanatic. Here's me back in the day on my 1982 Honda VF750 Sabre. I put over 40K miles on that bike then sold it and never looked back. I haven't ridden one in over 20 years.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2021, 06:27 PM
Buffedbiker#1960
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIDING MOTORCYCLES

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I wonder how many of them are self-inflicted considering the age of the riders and the performance of the motorcycle they are on. At shops, I see far more sport bikes with the front wheel stuffed into the rad than all other types combined.

On the other side of the coin, I've seen car drivers who are totally clueless and our area is a good example (too many brain dead government workers). In some countries, the car driver is initially held responsible in a car-motorcycle accident till proven otherwise.

In my case, it took an 18 year old driver with a 17 day old drivers licence to take me out and write off my motorcycle. I was stopped in traffic; he was busy on his effing cell phone. If I survive the next idiot, I won't be very forgiving.

There is a reason my signature line on another forums reads:
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
After taking up bikes in my 40s....and getting hit 3 times in Los Angeles freeways, streets and lastly at a light (it was red and i was hit from behind)....having foot torn open, leg broken, concussion, two broken ribs, dislocated thumb, torn rotator cuff, tail bone injury.....i give up....back to a sports car until i get the heck out of this god forsaken city...
Old 07-15-2021, 10:14 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffedbiker#1960
After taking up bikes in my 40s....and getting hit 3 times in Los Angeles freeways, streets and lastly at a light (it was red and i was hit from behind)....having foot torn open, leg broken, concussion, two broken ribs, dislocated thumb, torn rotator cuff, tail bone injury.....i give up....back to a sports car until i get the heck out of this god forsaken city...
Having driven in Canada, the US and many parts of Europe, all I can say is we hand out driver's licences like they are a prize in a box of Cracker Jacks.

i flipped through the student driver handbook in Germany and ours here looks like a comic book. LOL

Then you look at fatalities in Germany and the US. Considering traffic density and unlimited speeds on their highways, they are doing far better than us.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:03 AM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

I have but not for cars. When I got
married it was part of the deal
Old 07-15-2021, 11:41 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 640 Posts

i certainly wouldn't say i gave them up for sports cars. sports cars came first in the form of a 914 at 17y/o. i have had many types of bikes - motox, SM, adv, sport touring, multiple ducatis (favorite bikes all around), and i still have a KTM 690SM. i pulled back on bikes once i left the east coast. used to ride in the mountains of NC, VA, and eastern TN. phenomenal roads there! i have been down just once - got lucky, as i slid across on-coming traffic on a blind right hander. hit a patch of washed out gravel mid-turn. once i moved to the dallas area and saw how these people drive and the quality of roads here, it made the decision easy to back off. drivers here are generally awful! i'm not putting my life in the hands of these people. the only sports car that might give you any of the same emotions would be a super small, lightweight convertible - TR6, alfa duetto/spider, miata, MG maybe. anything more than that and it's just not the same experience at all. motorcycles have their very own experience.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:06 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

After 40+ years of motorcycle racing and riding and owning over 300+ bikes I have pretty much given up on riding although I still have 1- VFR800 which I take out a handful of times a year to my wife's dismay.

I am glad I survived all my motorcycle stories and was able to truly enjoy motorcycling when bikes and insurance were dirt cheap the roads were much better , there were way less cars, rules & cops and morons on the road and the glory days of sport bikes was just emerging.

Now a days everything has been overdone & overregulated to where even owning a nice car is not much fun anymore .....
Old 07-15-2021, 01:16 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 551 Posts

I have one left and I am actively trying to sell it. Same deal...distracted drivers, city living, crazy insurance costs and getting older. They were a lot of fun though...especially in the 90's before cell phones.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:41 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
I have one left and I am actively trying to sell it. Same deal...distracted drivers, city living, crazy insurance costs and getting older. They were a lot of fun though...especially in the 90's before cell phones.
cells phone are the worst thing to EVER HAPPEN to driving!! i can't tell you how many *****-challenged people i see everyday on their phone while actually driving. stopping at a red light, the phone is in their face before the car comes to rest! it's taken the place of mascara. it's so pathetic - and dangerous (for the rest of us). can you tell how much i hate phone use in the car? if they would actually ticket for it, as they say, it would be a revenue BOOM!
The following users liked this post:
Onami (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 04:53 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 145 Posts

Wouldn't say I gave it up but do generally enjoy driving cars more than bikes.

Kind of the same as a 993 scenario, I kept going after newer/faster so had a Diavel and V4 Panigale. Got rid of them as I enjoy riding my old 1986 XL600 enduro more on the street.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:57 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

I retired from motorcycle racing due to age and enjoyment level for the effort I was putting in. I bought a high performance beetle with all the money I am no longer spending racing.

Last edited by venom51; 07-15-2021 at 06:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by venom51:
IXLR8 (07-15-2021), notabot (07-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Who Gave Up Motorcycling for Sports Cars?