Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Who Gave Up Motorcycling for Sports Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
svm9
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Gave Up Motorcycling for Sports Cars?

This is my first post here. Long story, but I'm considering giving up motorcycling and trying to replace that passion with sports cars. Leaning towards a Porsche.

Thanks!

Last edited by svm9; 03-03-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Misspelled "Porsche" - heck of a way to start posting on a Porsche site! :)
Old 03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome!

I'm sure you're not the first one. Like any other dangerous addiction, "giving up" is a matter of degree for men. I know that some of us here still own motorcycles (IXLR8) but actually ride them much less, due to having kids or other minor reasons. I used to get all of my motorcycles for free when I worked for a manufacturer. The last one I owned was a Harley which I sold for my boat which I sold for my BMW which I sold for my 993. I still have my license, and in the future, I'm considering getting some dirt bikes to ride with my son (he's 2 now!)

Not sure if I'll do road bikes again. L.A. keeps getting worse with all the mommies texting in one hand; latte in the other piloting 2 tons of SUV...no thanks. I still have no problem taking my 993 up to the Rock Store and ogling all the delicious bikes. That will never change.

Even the best sports car will never equal an average 600cc sport bike, but they're still pretty involving and the enthusiasts are just as crazy (you're here!). For pure performance, your normal Evo can do better than a 993, but the overall smell/look/sound from an "old" Porsche is why we're all here.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Spidey 993

What dcdude said.

I have given up my Harley riding mostly for the kids and only so much time to ride. The Porsche dream became a reality when I knew it was time to move forward.

I haven't regretted it a bit. However, my Hog is hitting the for sale thread soon...
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I rode motorcycles from 1969 to 2001. I had Yamahas, Hondas, Kawaskis and finally a 1999 Road King with the new at the time twin cam 88 engine. I drove some of the Kawaskis into the high 80,000 mile range without issue. At 4500 miles a racing bearing went out on the Harley that caused the engine to be torn down.

But I digress; In March of 2000 I was on the freeway with my wife on the back of the Harley when a truck dropped a king size mattress in front of me. I hit the mattress and we went down hard. Some broken bones and torn tendons but we healed.

I sold the Harley and bought a 993 cab. For me it was a great move. For the several years I owned the cab I rarely had the top up. I do miss the motorcycle, but 32 years of riding the streets and freeways of Los Angeles was enough.

I have no regrets.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:43 PM
irideducs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep.

Ducatis were my passion -- I loved them standing still, cruising around town or flogging them on the track. Young kids and suburban cell phone-toting, Tahoe-driving soccer moms took a lot of the fun out of it for me, so I sold my babies about 6 years ago.

To me, the 993 is a similar work of design and engineering excellence that is a thrill in the garage and on the road (a Ford Cobra was the only other I thought would do it for me, but the Porsche won on comparative practicality). It also can come with the club / group / social aspects that many love about riding.

However, I kick myself every day for selling my last Ducati. I want it back - not to ride as much to sit on and start up from time to time.

Last edited by irideducs; 03-02-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by svm9
This is my first post here. Long story, but I'm considering giving up motorcycling and trying to replace that passion with sports cars. Leaning towards a Porsche.
Are you nuts?

I guess it depends where you ride, but as nice as my 993 is and I would not part with it, it doesn't beat motorcycling in the Alps.

Keep the motorcycles; add a 993. What I did.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I have two great bikes that just sit idle in my garage since I bought the Porsche. I would not sell either since they are both very unique. Maybe someday I will ride em again.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Much of it depends on where you live and where you ride.

In Canada where there are fewer people, and hopefully, fewer distracted drivers, it would be less of an issue compared to, say, Los Angeles, where you'd have to have a death wish to drive a motorcycle these days.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 140 Posts

Rode for 15 years and thought I would forever but......as I got older I was going faster so I got out while I was ahead. Miss it greatly and I can sit and remember every turn on my favorite stretches with the throttle pinned
Last of the 5 bikes I owned during my riding days.......
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yamaha, then Harley, then a whole bunch of BMW's. Still had 2 BMW's when I first got the '88 911 Cab but found I just didn't ride them much. I always rode with at least jeans, motorcycle boots and a Aerostich jacket (and helmet), just got to be too much of a pain putting on and off all the gear. With the 911's I can hop in and go, if it's hot turn on the a/c, if it rains close the sunroof.

Yes I miss it but not enough to buy another bike.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Much of it depends on where you live and where you ride.
Not just the safety aspect, but its no fun spending over an hour getting out of a city to get where the good roads are.

I didn't put a single kilometer on my local motorcycle simply because I am enjoying sorting out the 993 to where I want it. But I did ride 6627 kilometers (4118 miles) in four weeks on my other motorcycle while in the Alps. My long time friend and his wife joined me on a rental for two weeks. He is hooked and he is coming again this year.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarinS4
I would not sell either since they are both very unique.
Time for a show and tell.

My 1986 Suzuki RG 500 Gamma I had was just that. There is nothing like a square-four 95 HP two stroke at 340 pounds...

But I've moved on to better things and more interesting riding...

My friend's MV Agusta 750 F4S that I got to ride in the Black Forest. Nice but not something I would want to spend long hours on. The MV is three-dimensional art fit for any living room...
Old 03-02-2011, 08:03 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
too much of a pain putting on and off all the gear.
Part of being in the industry is setting a good example, so for us it was 100% protective gear, 100% of the time. Quite a pain in the ***. I certainly don't miss that part of it.

Sometimes I miss the "carefree" days of scootering in the '80s- no helmet, sometimes with shorts and flip flops. Easy on, easy off, but I'm glad I survived!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm another of the motorcycling-was-my-life brigade. But as I got older and felt my mortality the desire to ride has dwindled. I still own an Aprilia Tuono Factory but only ride it now on the most perfect of riding days. I bought the Porsche to 'encourage' me to take 4 wheels and not 2. I was a little skeptical but its amazing how much my eye wanders to Moby and end up having to talk myself into taking the bike. Northern TX isn't the best place to own a sportbike, thanks to the flat uninspiring roads and careless drivers.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Keep the motorcycles; add a 993. What I did.
I did the opposite.

I kept my 993tt and added a Ducati.

Quick Reply: Who Gave Up Motorcycling for Sports Cars?