Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Who Gave Up Motorcycling for Sports Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I have several unique German toys. Of course one is the 993. Another one is a light weight motorcycle of which there is only one in the USA, mine. Total in the world only, about 25 of them, four in Sweden the rest mostly in Germany. I bought it three years ago from a collector in Sweden. It took 1 ½ year to receive it from Sweden and another 1 ½ year to refurbish it.

________________________________________________________________________ _____________

1997 993 Cab, Targa Wheels, Arctic Silver, 40K mi

1957 Victoria Avanti K, all original parts, refurbished to factory specs, only one in USA

Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nice!

Hey Cactus... That's a pretty quick ride for an old timer! lol!

Never took you for a Crotch rocket type.

Originally Posted by Cactus
Rode for 15 years and thought I would forever but......as I got older I was going faster so I got out while I was ahead. Miss it greatly and I can sit and remember every turn on my favorite stretches with the throttle pinned
Last of the 5 bikes I owned during my riding days.......
Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gave up the bikes for a Porsche

I rode for 6 years and many bikes later gave up riding to start a family. I don't regret it for a second. My last ride was a GSXR 1000 180 hp for a 395lb bike. That's about the same hp as a F1 Car. Yeeee Haaaa! After going to the track, street riding was just pointless and not fun. Not to mention ....suicide in the city of Toronto.
Yamaha YSR50
Suzuki TLR 1000
Yamaha R6
Honda CBR 600 F4
Yamaha R1
Yamaha R6
Yamaha R1
Honda F4i
Suzuki GSXR 1000

Commitment issues.....I had....;-)
Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Diablita
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

New to this site and posting for that matter. Saw this thread and couldn't resist. First off boys, don't assume that it is only the men involved in motorsports, us ladies enjoy thrills as well. I agree why limit yourself. In fact, I had the 993's first, and a BMW 1200c (BMW's attempt at a cruiser bike). I swapped bikes one day with someone who had a Triumph Speed Triple and experienced speed on two wheels, I was hooked. Have to say that's the bigger rush. Started riding over 15 years ago, bougy my first sport bike 10 years ago and now I club race and motorocycle camp. Vowed I would only stop riding when my knees wen. However, I recently had a get off at the track with a little knock to the head. Realized maybe it's time to rethink things. So that's why I'm here. I'm getting ready to do my first "car" track day this week and was checking out what mods people are doing with the 993's. I have a '96 4S which I lowered, a little too low for the street and upgraded the suspension to the Bilstein PPS 10's. Little scared I might like this too much, the cars are a bit more expensive to track....btw does anyone know a competent Porsche suspension shop in SoCal?

P.S. Also can someone tell me how to add the "signature" to one's profile info?

Last edited by Diablita; 03-08-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Diablita
5th Gear

Default Bike Pics

Part Two to the above, forgot to attach pics!

Attached Images      
Old 03-08-2011, 04:27 PM
michaelh993
Instructor

Give up any of my 2-6 wheeled friends, not me!

1996 C4S (Best 4 wheels I've ever owned)
1996 R-1100RT (best long distance 2 wheels)
2000 Road King Classic (loud and classic)
1972 Pinzgauer 712M (6 wheel drive, goes ANYWHERE)
Old 03-08-2011, 05:23 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablita
Hi Guys,
does anyone know a competent Porsche suspension shop in SoCal?

P.S. Also can someone tell me how to add the "signature" to one's profile info?
Suspension: West End Alignment http://www.yelp.com/biz/west-end-alignment-gardena

I think you need to be a member to have a sig, etc.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:08 PM
veloce10
Intermediate

Riding a motorcycle is one of the last things I hope I ever have to give up. Last year I purchased a 2010 BMW S100RR which will likely be my last sport bike as I turn 68 this year. If you can manage both a bike and a Porsche do both as I have been fortunate enough to do.

Patrick
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Used to have several sport bikes. Did not have enough time to ride, so ended up selling them.
Some of the bikes I have owned are
Honda RC30 # 222 out of 300
Honda RC51
Honda VFR800
Honda CBR900
Several ZX 7 and a few GSX R 1100
The one I should have kept is the RC 30.
Have been considering buying a 2002-2006 VFR 800
AL Z
Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Al Z: Yep, you shoulda kept the RC30.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Motocross racing when younger. Next, slalom tournament waterskiing- the acceleration is awesome. Then to Porsche cars. Was tempted many times over the years to buy a crotch rocket, but my will to live overcame my need for speed. Love the turbo rush.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:24 AM
dcdude
Drifting

I always avoid black cars, but Lance, your car is friggin' HAWT! You can keep all the black over black examples...yours totally works! That's Can Can, not Flamenco, right?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I used to have a Honda Fireblade and a 911 3.2. Needless to say I was single! Am now married and allowed to keep my Porsche as long as I don't get another bike. I do miss it but in South England/London you are so close to a crash every day that I don't think I would have the ***** to do it any more. I can honestly say that the most fun I had on two wheels was with a tuned up 200cc Vespa which was hilarious when burning off cars at the lights.

Cheers,

David
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The bikes: 10,000 miles in 3 weeks 2 days in July to Alaska and back, 6,000 in two weeks to Oregon and back for the BMW national last year. Down to 5 BMW airheads, a 1200GS Adventure and a MotoGuzzi I am currently selling (beautiful showroom Coppa Italia 1,500 miles!). At one point I had 11 airheads in the garage, all running and licensed. At the time I thought I am SO glad I am a motorcycle nut and not a car nut--cars take up SO much more room and cost SO much. Still do 12k/ miles per year on two-wheels, 18K in a big year. Don't know if I will ever be able to give it up.

BUT, four years ago, a guy I work with handed me the keys to his 964 c-4. I thought, boy, driving to work would be so much more fun in this! And I was right. I found a solid, higher mileage 993 and loved it. Then, the track thing hit, and the GT3 came, and wow--DE events, track schools, and going fast in a car is so much fun! So now, the weekends I used to disappear on a bike, I am working on my car, driving my car, at the track, or trying to learn more about driving. I agree about the dangers of riding: I have ridden 8-18K miles per year for the past 30 years, but the cell phone usage really scares me. At least two studies showing talking on a cell phone, even hands free, you are more at risk of an accident than being legally drunk--not to mention texting. And while we would never argue drinking and driving should be legal, we allow something even MORE dangerous to be legal. I don't get it. At all. A chip in the cell phone only allowing a 911 call with the car in gear would solve the problem. I am NOT for government involvement, but am for saving lives lost for no reason. It is motorcyclists and bicyclists being killed everyday.

So, to answer your question, I can't see any reason you wouldn't LOVE driving a sports car, especially a Porsche. And while one could think of several reasons to consider curtailing riding (it hurts to say that), I can think of no reason not to delve into cars. It is just money, and you make it to spend it. That being said, be prepared to be addicted.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:06 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by svm9
This is my first post here. Long story, but I'm considering giving up motorcycling and trying to replace that passion with sports cars. Leaning towards a Porsche.

Thanks!
Welcome. My wife decided that she'd be more comfortable in a cab car than on our two bikes for taking vacations, etc. So we bought a 993. While I do enjoy the car a good deal, we've kept the bikes because I'm bike guy. I commute on my bike and it's just been my main form of transport since I was 17.

So you can say in a way, that I've moved from bikes to the P-car at least for taking longer trips with my wife. BTW, I do tend to enjoy being IN the car with my wife over riding side by side & signaling, etc.

We also get warmer reception wherever we stop.

Quick Reply: Who Gave Up Motorcycling for Sports Cars?