What Shocks to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kdh
Craig, the car looks great.
Did you have original shocks and springs on before, and if so, how is the ride with the Konis and M033's compared to them?
Yes. I had the stock suspension prior to the M033 and Koni FSD upgrade. I have 65k miles on the car. I just bought the car in Dec. so during my limited miles of driving I can tell you it feels great. The old shocks were shot. I find that the ride is very comfortable and not harsh. It is firmer but that is probably due to new shocks vs toasted shocks. The ride height is just right to keep from bottoming out on the road. You still need to be careful though. The floating bouncing feeling from dips on the interstate is gone. Steering feels more connected. For the price this is a hard set up to beat with the 20% sale going on at Koni. You should be able to get shocks and springs for $1300ish. I am very happy with the set up.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by csmab
Yes. I had the stock suspension prior to the M033 and Koni FSD upgrade. I have 65k miles on the car. I just bought the car in Dec. so during my limited miles of driving I can tell you it feels great. The old shocks were shot. I find that the ride is very comfortable and not harsh. It is firmer but that is probably due to new shocks vs toasted shocks. The ride height is just right to keep from bottoming out on the road. You still need to be careful though. The floating bouncing feeling from dips on the interstate is gone. Steering feels more connected. For the price this is a hard set up to beat with the 20% sale going on at Koni. You should be able to get shocks and springs for $1300ish. I am very happy with the set up.
Where did you get the MO33 springs? I found the FSD on sale.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:23 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Where did you get the MO33 springs? I found the FSD on sale.
You can get springs from Gert at carnewal.com or Jason at paragon-products.com. I think you can also get them from Sunset Porsche. Both of the places mentioned above also sell Koni FSD shocks. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I had standard shocks and Ibach sports sprinks- Don't get this combo, it just does not work.
I now have PSS10's and thaey are great fine for the road and competive on the track, being able to adjust bounce and rebound is great.
I have for the road- Front 4 and back 5.

Thanks,,
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 PM
simonjjb
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to all...

So my take after reading all of this, and other comments, is that I should go with either:

1) Old springs and Koni FSD
2) M033 springs and Koni FSD

I am a bit puzzled with all the negativity on the Monroes. I went to Pelican and was surprised that they are more expensive than the FSD's - yet most folks think they are poor??

Again , my desire is to have a ride that is for street use only and not too harsh/firm.

Any final/other comments?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 PM
cosmic_993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M033 springs front/rear for less than $400 from sunset. Paragon was $650
Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Deriffic
Advanced

Originally Posted by jmarch
Just a data point - I dumped my Bilstein HDs/M030 setup for KW V3s. The KWs are double adjustable (unlike Bilstein PSS9 and PSS10). You can get them from FD Motorsports.

I love my KWs.

Cheers,
Joe
I am also using the KW V3 for daily street driving & occasional spirit use. No complaint from my wife or my 1 1/2 yr old.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by simonjjb
Thanks to all...

So my take after reading all of this, and other comments, is that I should go with either:

1) Old springs and Koni FSD
2) M033 springs and Koni FSD

I am a bit puzzled with all the negativity on the Monroes. I went to Pelican and was surprised that they are more expensive than the FSD's - yet most folks think they are poor??

Again , my desire is to have a ride that is for street use only and not too harsh/firm.

Any final/other comments?
I just installed the full ROW M030 to replace my 100,000mi US M030, not only did I find out my shocks were GOOD WORKING order, the car feels just about the same, if anything, the US setup is a little stiffer. I think everyone is happy with the ride of the stock shocks, what disappoints is that they do NOT LAST, most cars have dead shocks around 30kmi. The Monroes on my C4S blew out around 37kmi & were replaced with PSS10's.

I must ad, my shocks were BOGE, not Monroe.

I auto-X in the stock class, that dictated what I got. If I really thought about, I should have got the Koni's.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I just installed the full ROW M030 to replace my 100,000mi US M030, not only did I find out my shocks were GOOD WORKING order, the car feels just about the same, if anything, the US setup is a little stiffer.
I'm in a similar situation. I have the US M030 option as well but only 28,000 miles. I've had a few shops look/drive my car (including FD Motorsports) and the conclusion is that it rides great; it's just the ride height is too high. Now I'm thinking maybe just to swap out the springs from US to ROW, thus lowering the car to ROW height. I realize the risk and expense of having to do an alignment twice if the shocks do fail, but given the 3,000 miles per year I drive the car it is something I am considering. Is there any difference between the shocks that come on a US M030 and those that came on a ROW M030? Thoughts on the springs swap?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
I'm in a similar situation. I have the US M030 option as well but only 28,000 miles. I've had a few shops look/drive my car (including FD Motorsports) and the conclusion is that it rides great; it's just the ride height is too high. Now I'm thinking maybe just to swap out the springs from US to ROW, thus lowering the car to ROW height. I realize the risk and expense of having to do an alignment twice if the shocks do fail, but given the 3,000 miles per year I drive the car it is something I am considering. Is there any difference between the shocks that come on a US M030 and those that came on a ROW M030? Thoughts on the springs swap?
If you swap springs, DO THE SHOCKS! It's the same labor. You are on borrowed time. Yes, the ride height SUCKS! I know my car is AWD, but I don't want it to look like a 4X4!

No, the shocks are the same for US & ROW, the springs are not. US springs are linear & the ROW springs are progressive. What I found is the US front springs are about 1in taller, & the rears are the same height. It's the progressive rate that compresses them a bit more & thus lowers the car.

US & ROW front springs

M030 US Boge & Monroe

Stock M030 US

ROW height, this is right after the install, I do believe they may settle down a little
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

OP: take your time and think carefully about this step. I picked up a set of Bilstein HDs from a good buddy on here with 030 springs and I hate them! The car is stable as can be, corners without any body roll, but man is the ride rough. I had to buy a small cushion for my tiny wife's rear (or wife's tiny rear end just to make her comfortable. If you know anyone near you that has different setups, it would be good to ask for a ride so you can tell which you prefer. PS> I also don't track...even though I really want to
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my experience. My car came with M030 suspension. PO installed Techart springs for lowering but did not change the shocks. When a got the car it became obvious that the ride was not well controlled and that it needed shocks. After much research here and with the goal of achieving a firm but compliant ride, I installed Bilstein HD's.

For my mainly street driving, I found the HD's to be harsh on all but the best roads, especially with my 18" tires inflated to the Porsche recommended pressures of 36F/44R. It seems like the consensus here is that these pressures are too high. I have reduced them to 32F/36R and this has improved the overall ride comfort but if I was doing it over, I would investigate other shocks for street use.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:26 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

if anyone is interested, i'd be willing to sell you a complete set of NIB MO33 springs and shocks i bought from Sunset a few months ago.
I've decided to keep my Bilstein P10s

$993.00 + shipping from 92081.

Craig
Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

I'll take them; PM sent
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I just had Bilstein PSS10's installed a month ago and they transformed the car. Fully adjustable (height/firmness) and I'm still dialing them in but so far really impressed.

Quick Reply: What Shocks to get?