Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I think I am off to a good start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:56 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I am off to a good start!

Just got my car from the muffler shop where I had custom long tube headers done. I have noticed that most RL members here are not believers of adding headers to gain hp or improved response. I think this is due to the believed notion that the stock headers are good enough.

As some may know, I am in the current process of installing cams. So this is the first part of that project.

I did not do a dyno but my initial experience is that the car pulls faster, has a better low to mid-range punch. Quite surprising was that I easily hit the rev limiter. I thought there was something wrong with the car but i saw it was already at 7k rpm. I did a 5 hr long trip with some buddies last week on very spirited driving in the twisties and I never hit the rev limiter! So I was surprised today on how easy it was. I also installed a fabspeed supercup intake. I dont know why they call it supercup!

I initially was targetting 30 inches of primary tube but decided to do 27 inches up to the collector. I think this came out ok as the top end was still very good.
The size of the primary tube was 1 3/4. We decided to use the highest quality of stainless steel here.

So I think I am hopefully to a good start since the cam I am getting is a little aggressive more than RS cams.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the problem - there are no dyno results to substantiate the claims, only anecdotal evidence such as yours. We are scientists here.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I'd bring both banks together and exit from the middle of the bumper. No mufflers, nothing. Just pure song!

Andreas
Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You did delete the cats, that alone will give you more HP & grunt off the line.

Yea, a before & after dyno is always a good thing. But I am sure you did pick up something from this. Another reason most of us don't do headers, is we NEED the heater!

From what I know from exhaust gas flow, you will get better low & midrange from tying the left & right banks into one another.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful craftsmanship deserves beautiful photos...re-shoot with a real camera and replace
Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I'd bring both banks together and exit from the middle of the bumper. No mufflers, nothing. Just pure song!

Andreas
Thats what I am about to do (along with Jeff Scott jscott82) But will have an option of mufflers as well as straight through, both out the middle.

Nice work on the Headers, will be interested to see results on the dyno once you have the Cams installed. Are going to do a chip or live remap of the ECU?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
Wow that seems like a good idea! But a new bumper would again push up costs. I was thinking of just putting customized supercup type exhausts but I already got the fabspeeds
Old 02-10-2011, 06:22 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
You did delete the cats, that alone will give you more HP & grunt off the line.

Yea, a before & after dyno is always a good thing. But I am sure you did pick up something from this. Another reason most of us don't do headers, is we NEED the heater!

From what I know from exhaust gas flow, you will get better low & midrange from tying the left & right banks into one another.
Yeah I was thinking of an fabspeed type of x-pipe but the custom headers was already running a week so I didnt want to complicate things.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:23 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by dcdude
Beautiful craftsmanship deserves beautiful photos...re-shoot with a real camera and replace
Thanks man, I will do a re-shoot with a legit camera!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by trophy
Thats what I am about to do (along with Jeff Scott jscott82) But will have an option of mufflers as well as straight through, both out the middle.

Nice work on the Headers, will be interested to see results on the dyno once you have the Cams installed. Are going to do a chip or live remap of the ECU?
I am going with a Steve W chip. More cost effective since a live remap here costs $1.5k! It would be nice to see your dyno nos too. Like I mentioned earlier, going out the middle is something that costs so, no can do. But I should have done the supercup type option while it was in the shop. It would have been much easier than a x-type crossover pipe.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no doubt that long tube headers and merge collectors will provide more power and mid range torque over stock exhaust manifolds. The headers in the picture do not appear to be equal length. The length of the front pipe may be close to 27", but not the rears.

Here is what a set of true equal length long-tube headers for a 911 look like with Burns merge collectors. These are for a 911SC, but can be made for the 993, I believe. They have been run on a 3.2 with succuess. They are 1-5/8" stepped to 1-3/4".
Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by vincer77
There is no doubt that long tube headers and merge collectors will provide more power and mid range torque over stock exhaust manifolds. The headers in the picture do not appear to be equal length. The length of the front pipe may be close to 27", but not the rears.

Here is what a set of true equal length long-tube headers for a 911 look like with Burns merge collectors. These are for a 911SC, but can be made for the 993, I believe. They have been run on a 3.2 with succuess. They are 1-5/8" stepped to 1-3/4".
Wow a Burns collector, yummy! I was thinking of this type of design but opted for what I did since it was easier. My brothers 964 is now in the shop and is doing this type of design since he has a center muffler which he wants to keep. You are right with that observation and I noticed most shops advertise "equal length" when after doing a visual, it seems not to be. Even with this, the longer primaries helped a lot IMO.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:36 PM
camlob
Pro

Vince - Technically if you look at the buckley photo it also doesnt have exact equal length too. The cylinder nearest the bumper will also have the shortest primary tube. I recall seeing one header wherein that tube sticks out so that it has a equal length.

Edit - Cant really know for sure until you measure the primary tubes.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:51 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I work at Burns Stainless and helped in the design of the headers and the tubes are not exactly equal length - difficult for a production header that can be sold at a reasonalble price, but they are within an inch or so of equal length.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 PM
camlob
Pro

I work at Burns Stainless and helped in the design of the headers and the tubes are not exactly equal length - difficult for a production header that can be sold at a reasonalble price, but they are within an inch or so of equal length.
Ahhh...the cost of your collector is already the cost of my header system! I must say the science that they put in it is amazing. My brother called them once for a collector for his 997 GT3 RS, they were like asking him for the cam duration etc!

Quick Reply: I think I am off to a good start!