I think I am off to a good start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
You can't really compare a race engine to a street engine. The race engine is made to operate in a narrow RPM band, so they do everything to optimize that range. Joining the 2 banks is for low & mid, I bet the Porsche Rally cars might have them joined.

A lot of race engines are totally dead in the lower range & very hard to drive slowly & often will stall out in lower RPM's with light throttle.

I also can't think of any street Porsche Aircooled car that doesn't have them joined.
You'd lose that bet
954, muffler #8 is used on the street, megaphone #5 for off road rally use

964 C4 l/w rally car

For the normal older street cars they use the single transverse muffler as a packaging convenience, where they care about performance they are separate

current GT3, separate
Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vincer77
I work at Burns Stainless and helped in the design of the headers and the tubes are not exactly equal length - difficult for a production header that can be sold at a reasonalble price, but they are within an inch or so of equal length.
To work well the pipes don't have to be absolutely equal in length an 1" discrepancy is acceptable, the merge geometry and size is much more important
Old 02-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Bill, are you baiting me? They use it for more exhaust scavenging. Do you want a white paper on it?
yes, mea culpa
Old 02-11-2011, 04:43 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome thread everyone, I love this stuff.....
Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

they can but do not always, the type of engine and other factors determine whether they do or don't, the cross overs you are referring too can help but they can also hurt, an odd fire needs a crossover an even fire does not.
As I said, "in general" they work to improve midrange torque. But even fire engines can also benefit from cross-overs. Here is a dynograph of a Ferrari V-12 engine. Essentially two inline six cylinder engines. As our Porsches, it is an even fired engine. The headers are 2 x 3-1 on each bank. The factory Daytona had a muffler that connected the two 3-1 tailpipes together, and it was a frequent mod "in-the-day" to remove the muffler and replace it with straight pipes. The result was to hurt the midrange torque. While at Carobu, we decided to replace the straight pipes with a Burns X-pipe. The result was a significant increase in midrange torque.

all true on an open system not so on a muffled system unless steps such as using extended inlets are taken
The same mechanisms apply with muffled systems. The mufflers just add to the complexity. Using merge collectors, most of the tuning is in the headers and collectors.

again not so fast, it all depends, a cross over is used primarily to alter the volume of sound at the exhaust outlet, a *****-nilly connection at an arbitrary point is more likely to hurt both flow and internal acoustics as it is to help.
Not from what have seen in practice. Most applications benefit from the crossover - including even-fired engines. The crossovers work best the closer they are to the engine. Some cross-overs placed in the rear of a front engined car are for sound purposes only - good and bad. Another way to think about the cross-over is that it minimizes the communication between the engine and the atmosphere. The smaller cross section can minimize reversion (i.e. reverse exhaust flow) as the cross sectional area of the cross over is smaller than for individual pipes.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

You really amaze me Bill at the wealth of pictures and schematics that you have at your disposal!

To work well the pipes don't have to be absolutely equal in length an 1" discrepancy is acceptable, the merge geometry and size is much more important
Since the merge collector actually broadens the rarefaction signal, yes, it makes the equal length aspect less important. But equal length is stil best IMHO.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

The same mechanisms apply with muffled systems. The mufflers just add to the complexity. Using merge collectors, most of the tuning is in the headers and collectors. ....
The acoustic signal is reflected from the termination of the exhaust, on an unmuffled system this reflection is clean and can be tuned to where in the rev range you want it, The reflection in a muffled system is muddied up so much that it is next to useless, unless and extension into the muffler cavity is used

like this, muffler inlet at SA outlet at SC
Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

QED, the reflections become complicated. The further back in the system that the muffler is, the less effect the wave reflections have. The primary tuning is occuring in the header. Especially using a merge collector with an expanding section exit.

Not sure what point you are making with the diagram of a reflective muffler. Could you elaborate?.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Camlob - Cool looking pieces and especially for the price. Well done.

I'm at work so I'll have to read through this thread in more depth later (looks fun) but here is an old crappy pic of the "equal length" pieces that I built for my car a while back.

If I remember correctly the runners were all within 0.25" of each other with a total length somewhere around 28".

Burns collectors, 321 stainless and custom flanges.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Awesome thread everyone, I love this stuff.....
+1

great info I hadn't seen before on some of the early race exh. Thx Bill
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by poorb0yw

I'm at work so I'll have to read through this thread in more depth later (looks fun) but here is an old crappy pic of the "equal length" pieces that I built for my car a while back.

If I remember correctly the runners were all within 0.25" of each other with a total length somewhere around 28".

I never get tired at looking at pix of the underside that car... awesome.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

QED, the reflections become complicated. The further back in the system that the muffler is, the less effect the wave reflections have. The primary tuning is occuring in the header. Especially using a merge collector with an expanding section exit.

Not sure what point you are making with the diagram of a reflective muffler. Could you elaborate?.
Adding a muffler (even one with zero backpressure) to a system with already optimized lengths can alter the pressure wave response such that the tuning is now out of phase with what is required and as a result, power drops. The trick here is to install mufflers such that they don't alter the tuned lengths of the system. Let us assume that the test muffler is attached directly to the end of the collector. A pressure wave is reflected either at the end of the exhaust pipe or when a sizable increase in cross-sectional area occurs. Open chambered mufflers such as Flowmasters often appear to the pressure wave much the same as the end of the pipe. This means the pressure waves see no change in length and reflection occurs largely as it did prior to the fitment of the muffler.

A glass pack muffler can act significantly different. It does not appear as a pipe end but as a substantial increase in collector length. Result: a reduction of power even though there is no measurable backpressure involved. From this we can see that many comparative muffler tests were in fact "pseudo pipe-length" tests. Although many invalid conclusions were drawn, these tests still demonstrated some important facts. The most important is that the engine's needs in terms of flow and pressure wave length tuning must be isolated, one from the other. This is easy to do by means of the pressure wave termination box (resonator box) mentioned earlier. Incorporating a resonator box into a system produces a layout along the lines seen in Fig. 9. With enough volume, the resonator box makes everything down stream appear invisible to the header's primary- and secondary-tuned lengths. With a flow capability of 2.2 cfm or more, the muffler appears virtually invisible from a flow standpoint. As a result, we have a muffled system that produces virtually the same power as an open exhaust.

Using an extended inlet creates a resonator box which the header sees as atmosphere
another example

Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by poorb0yw

Nice but pretty much irrelevant to n/a exhaust, though sans turbos it would work for n/a
Old 02-11-2011, 07:20 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to have Bill in the 997 GT2/GT3 forum...You are lucky guys.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Well said Bill. Yes, I love seeing different tests for mufflers where they claim increases in power. You are correct that most of the effect is from differing tuned lengths. Absorption mufflers do not act completely as extended collectors for the pressure waves. The open area of the core is seen by the pressure waves as area changes. Different muffler styles have different transmission (and reflective) losses based on the design.

The open flowmaster type mufflers work as tailpipe terminations, I like to call them atmospheric boxes and we have used those to terminate tailpipes on dynos yet having an exhaust system. From a practical standpoint, it is difficult to put the termination box where you want it on a car. The tailpipe may want to be one length, but the only place that the muffler can go is in another place. I am working with a customer now that is restoring a 993 powered mid engined racer (GT1 maybe) and wants to package an atmospheric chamber. But the tailpipe wants to be longer than the calculated length in order to get to the location where the box can be packaged on the chamber. It is difficult to predict if the longer tailpipe is worth the trouble of packaging the box. Of course there is no dyno data to support the decision.

So I again say that getting the header manifold right is the best way to maximize power. A lot of the other bits are secondary. But if you have a good budget and can do dyno work to substantiate the tailpipe lengths and can package the mufflers where they are beneficial then these secondary effects can be taken advantage of.

However, when you look at professional racing cars, they do not incorporate these devices. At least I have not seen them.

Quick Reply: I think I am off to a good start!