Sponsored by:

key fob case replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM
nedsky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default key fob case replacement

I think I know the answer to this using the Search tool, but my question wasn't directly addressed. I have a key fob which works fine, except you have to push the button with two fingers to get it to work as its plastic case is cracked. The little battery is even exposed though it's secure. I bought a new plastic case at the dealer last week (stunningly dear at $92.) and started to replace the old plastic case with the new. I assumed the electronics within would just 'fall' out but they don't. I'm afraid I'll break something if I get too strong when prying them out so I"ve only tried that very tentatively. I'm thinking it may be easier if the battery were removed.

If the battery is removed do I have to worry about reprogramming the immobilizer? I'm thinking I don't but would like to be sure, as needless to say, I'm terrified at the prospect of that.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Think about it: If we all had to re-program the immobilizer every time we replaced the battery in the fob, we'd all go stark-raving mad! Just be careful.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM
nedsky
Instructor

Thanks, NC. Like I said, I thought that to be the case. As far as being careful, I'll make the switch with the car in the garage in case it's there for awhile.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The memory of the signal for that specific fob is held in the immobilizer in the car, not the fob so no worries changing the battery in the fob. Even so, it's always a good idea though to leave the windows down when you're fooling on alarm stuff, just in case.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You can get the case form the dealer, it's like $20.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 AM
nedsky
Instructor

It was $92 from the dealer in Columbia, SC. It would've been $84 from Pelican but was back ordered so I just got it locally.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a new key fob case three years ago and can not remember what I paid for it. Anyway, it is a simple operation to move the content from the old to the new key fob case. Nothing will be erased if you pick out the battery while you make the change.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
nedsky
Instructor

Thanks, Robert. I took the battery out the other day to try and replace the case but couldn't get the little curcuit board out. It must be fused or something from being in there undisturbed for 16 years. I put a new battery in and put the old case back together and it worked fine as everyone said. I was very tentative when trying to get the electronics out as it seems so delicate. I don't suppose there is any trick to this that I'm missing?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nedsky
It was $92 from the dealer in Columbia, SC. It would've been $84 from Pelican but was back ordered so I just got it locally.
That's a LOT! Here is the remote plastic, with a new lighted key head for $72

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...y_Code=993_key
Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM
nedsky
Instructor

Yes, Mike. That's a better price than what I got. I'll have to look at Sunset next time I'm pricing anything out. Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the switch blade key not the key housing using the term from suncoast parts. Bought both the upper and lower key housing. As I remember it the curcuit board was loose once you screwed out the single screw that holding the two parts together.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/993_key.html

Originally Posted by nedsky
Thanks, Robert. I took the battery out the other day to try and replace the case but couldn't get the little curcuit board out. It must be fused or something from being in there undisturbed for 16 years. I put a new battery in and put the old case back together and it worked fine as everyone said. I was very tentative when trying to get the electronics out as it seems so delicate. I don't suppose there is any trick to this that I'm missing?

Quick Reply: key fob case replacement