Sponsored by:

The great engine build project begins

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:58 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The great engine build project begins

Well, it is official. The project is off and running. I go from being really excited, to asking myself what the heck am I getting into.
I was searching for a high mileage 993, when I came across an engine, so I figured I would build the engine, and then find a car. I found a car shortly thereafter, and decided I would still like the engine as a project.

The plan was/is to rebuild an engine out of a 97, and put it in my 95. The new engine will have RS intakes valves, RS cams, and of course varioram.

I probably would not have attempted this if it were not for this great site and Mike J's site pcarworkshop.

I know most of this has been covered either by Mike's rebuild, or JMarch's varioram transplant in a 95, so mine will be a little of both. I will try and keep it simple, yet informative. Maybe it will inspire someone else, or maybe it will allow someone to point out what I am doing wrong. I started with a long block and boxes of parts, so I have quite the learning curve. Let me know if there are more photos of something particular you would like to see, and I will try and add them. Enough chatter.... let's begin.

I removed the heads and P&C's, and then removed the rods and sent them to Steve Weiner. Steve examined the bearings, and advised that he would not split the case. I had him redo the rods and add ARP bolts. He sent them to me rebuilt with the bolts installed and instructions on torque.
I then sent him my heads and had him rebuild them and after lengthy discussions, he added RS intake valves. They are pretty. He sent them back along with a set of RS cams he had. I do not believe there is anyone more knowledgeable or friendlier than Steve and feel we are lucky to have him as part of our community. I also have been thankful for the great service and help from the guys at FDMotorsports.

I have now started putting it back together, so here are a few photos.

Emerald
Attached Images      
Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Some good shooting there too
Old 06-06-2010, 03:08 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed!!!

I can't wait to follow you through this process, Emerald. Thanks is advance for sharing with us.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 06-06-2010, 03:50 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice project. Should be well worth the effort when you get in for the first drive.
Will be watching this thread when you update.
Cheers Em
Old 06-06-2010, 04:11 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Atta boy Emerald, keep it going! If you have questions, you can post here but the best spot to play when it gets really technical is the Pelican rebuilding engine site...lots of good info.

If you did not split the case, and replaced the rod bolts, you must of used the torque method to tighten the rod bolts, rather than a stretch gauge? Nothing wrong with that, but I am just interesting in knowing.

Do you have the timing specifications for the RS cams? I am curious on the lift TDC, what is it? I assume you will use a mechanical lifter for this measurement? ( I found I used a few used mechanical lifters, but I had to grind the sides given the cam carrier design is a bit different).

Did you have any problems putting in the rings? You got the orientation right, correct?(gap on the oil ring to the top of the barrel). The rings will rotate anyways, but its good to get that right from the beginning.

A spot that is really crucial is the cam timing, especially with the RS cams. Are you going to check the clearance between the valves and the pistons?

Anyways, be carefull, go slow, and it should work all out....like I said the more nerve wracking part is the startup....LOL!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Emerald,
Looking forward to watching this. Thank you for all of the bits & pieces that have found their way to me.

Andreas
Old 06-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in....
Old 06-06-2010, 01:08 PM
baron95993
Pro

The process looks fun!!! good luck keep us posted
Baron
Old 06-06-2010, 05:47 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 482 Posts

Looking forward to the updates. The nice thing about your project is the continued use of your 993 while building the motor. No need to rush.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:55 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the support. I am sure there will be times that will be more fun than others. It sure gives me an appreciation for Mike and Joe's projects, and the detail they had in there write ups.

Mike, you are correct about the rods. Steve sent them back with instructions to apply ARP lube on the threads, and then torque them to 37 ft/lbs.

The rings were not much of a problem, more tedious than technical. I followed the directions, and made sure about orientation. I have been going real slow, and double checking myself.

I do not have the timing specs for the RS cams yet. I will be glad to share when I get them. Right now, the most daunting aspect is the cam installations and then timing. I have a set of mechanical lifters for this.

I have not checked clearance of pistons and valves, is this something you would recommend?

Thanks,
Emerald
Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Andreas,

I hope to see the pieces as art in the future. You just might be getting some more goodies from me

Thanks,
Emerald
Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been over to Emeralds to watch the build. It is coming along nicely. I can't wait to see how it feels from the passenger's seat. Keep us abreast of the build.

Mike
Old 06-06-2010, 10:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1.5mm on the cam timing. Backdating to the "pin" style (964-earlier) timing? I ended up doing that for simplicity when I threw the 3.8 back together.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Can't wait to watch this project unfold. I may even have to swing by at some point and check it out in person!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:46 PM
lexart
Racer

Subscribed!

Can't wait to see your progress . . .

Quick Reply: The great engine build project begins