I can't take Winter anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:25 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't take Winter anymore!

Hi Everyone,
I just felt the need to rant a bit today! I have been staring at my wonderful C4S for a few months while she is hibernating in the garage for winter! After the past 4 weeks having 1-2 major snowstorms a week, it has been one of the worst winters the northeast has seen in about 15 years. Now I have to say I was a little excited yesterday to get some rain and 45 degree weather to melt most of this snow and ice! But now I am a little depressed as the weather channel says we are going to get dumped on again towards the end of the week with approx. 12-16 inches of additional snow! I would also like to take this time to critisize the state of Rhode Island's snow removal process:
1.) If you are going to take the time to plow the streets, please actually lower your plow and do something!
2.) If you continue to throw sand and road salt at the going rate, It is not suprising that you are running out of snow removal budget money!
3.) It should only take until next halloweeen to get rid of all the salt on the roads that is grossly overused! (I mean I live close to the BEACHES, but I really don't need the sand/salt on my streets)
4.) What ever happened to "through rain, snow, sleet, & shine"? My U.S. postal service said that I must remove the snow for 15-20 feet on either side of my mailbox so they can deliver my mail, this was followed by them telling me it is a safety concern?????? How is that when they don't even get out of the little truck anyway?

I swear I may just need to start taking medications or move significantly south if spring doesn't get here soon! I mean I love my audi A6 quattro but nothing compares to my 993! Anyways I figured I would post some pics of the car in her hibernation resting place until the warmer weather arrives.

Thanks For Listening to my RANT on how winter just SUCKS!

Sorry for the Cell Phone Crappy Pics, my Wife has the Nikon D200 today

Last edited by ryguy993; 03-19-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:33 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I feel your pain. I was just out chopping ice. Second nasty winter in a row and we've got a while to go. If we get another one next year, you'll see the caravans of people heading south for good!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan, AWESOME rant! I enjoyed that. Yes, winter can be long, cold, dark, and Porscheless. The key is finding something to make it fun. I XC ski, and the winter isn't long enough! I hope the groundhog in your area saw his shadow (or whichever way means an earlier spring)!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 539 Posts

Simple solution..........DRIVE IT on the drier days and wash it and rinse the under chassis immediately after driving if the salt/dirt freaks you out.......better to drive the car than let it sit.......takes care of the withdrawal symptoms....these cars are galvanized and can withstand the elements....

I used to have a heated water spicket line in NJ for such after driving/cleaning things.....inexpensive and did the cleaning trick........
Old 02-06-2011, 04:57 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't understand. isn't it 75 degrees where you are ...... too?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:15 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 539 Posts

In Asheville 95% of the time since 2006........average temp this Dec was 30 degrees with 20 inches of snow so far this season, usually avg. 8 inches a year......I put my winter sport snow tires on after Thanksgiving and take them off April 1st........been doing that since 1995 with Porsches I own(ed) in NJ, MD and NC. P-Cars are great in the snow and car looks great after detailing, etc., since I am a clean fanatic who happens to use the car as a daily driver..........and washes it every week regardless....
Old 02-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

winter is in it's usual fury here in Central New York. Last night we were treated to a wintery mix of pouring rain/freezing rain/blinding snow storm...all in about a 1 hour timeframe. Got treated to about a 4" thick coating of the mix.

Everything is coated, looks nice out, actually above freezing here for the first time in weeks. The roads are absolute crap. I was planning on doing a tire riotation on the wife's ute, then put the C4S up on the lift. She was out driving in that crap last night, and there ain't NO WAY I'm rolling that mess onto my brandy new lift.

So, the Pcar is still in the main garage awaiting cleaner roads to get it back in the shed. I backed it out of the garage, so I could wet vac the 20 gallons of salt/sand/water off the floor from the wife's car. Man I can't wait till Weather Tech starts making vehicle size winter matts-in the works now I understand.

Ryan, we definately gotta get together this season. We'll be in Narraganset again in late July. We really like Bonnet Shores, but can't find a place that's right. We share the week with my cousin's family, and they have a dog. Currently leaning toward a place just South of Scarobourgh Beach.

Damn dog...anyway, that trip will be Porsche less-but I'll have my bikes to ride everyday.

Anyway, wintery pics below
Attached Images   
Old 02-06-2011, 05:27 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

76 degrees and wispy clouds in the sky cruising down Highway 1 along the Pacific in Monterey yesterday. Temperature records were broken. Predicting temps in the 80s later this week.

Driving the Spyder with the top stowed.

Global Warming is here... (at least in California)....
Old 02-06-2011, 05:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually want some winter weather out here so I can put the snow tires back on. But it looks like it will be another clear week for my weekly run up to the slopes. 6K miles since the season started, and counting.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caronsd

76 degrees and wispy clouds in the sky cruising down Highway 1 along the Pacific in Monterey yesterday. Temperature records were broken. Predicting temps in the 80s later this week.

Driving the Spyder with the top stowed.

Global Warming is here... (at least in California)....
Um, a bit of an exaggeration

Yeah it was in the high 60s to low 70s today but next week will be high 50's and low 60s.

But agreed that winter is best driving season. Not too hot and not too cold. Just right.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:16 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 254 Posts

Just got back from Laguna Seca and it was 78 cruising up Hwy 1. Exaggeration... I dunno, it hit 80 in some areas around here yesterday!

Just sayin'

Old 02-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Definitely weird weather these days. I am in Vancouver, we had a tiny bit of snow, but not much at all. Now its been just nice days and some rain, so I will finish putting the insurance back on the car, and start to use it. A few years ago, we got 1-2' of snow, and it was brutal. Last year was hardly any since it was the 2010 Olympics. I picked up a great Honda snowblower from the Olympics for cheap (and never was used) as my charm against snow. I figure if it snows, I have the blower, it if doesn't, its because I have the blower! :-) .

However, there are definitely pattern changes in the environment that are troubling to say the least. I hope you guys on the East Coast get out of this pretty quick!

Cheers,

MIke
Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sanyata
Just got back from Laguna Seca and it was 78 cruising up Hwy 1. Exaggeration... I dunno, it hit 80 in some areas around here yesterday!

Just sayin'

Hmmm. I'm a bit farther south but on the coast, and only 69 today. Probably just warmer inland. In Salinas and Soledad it was close to 80 today. But in Monterey proper it was only 69 or so. And predicted to be cooler this week. We have pretty much the same weather here as in Monterey.

Nonetheless, it's still perfect driving weather
Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I got sunburned at 48 Hours of Sebring yesterday (80 degrees.) Today I detailed my car and it was HOT.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Like Mike J and many others here, I'm from the Vancouver area. Unfortunately (for getting the car out anyway), I live a bit out of the city. Just enough where it gets close to freezing more frequently. And I think someone in the city works department is getting a payoff from whoever supplies salt/sand/de-icer etc. Looks like someone's gone on the mother-of-all-coke-binges in the mornings!

Quick Reply: I can't take Winter anymore!