Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Noob question on shocks and springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Spidey 993

Default Noob question on shocks and springs

Ok, someday I won't be noob, but for now let's lob another noob question out there. I appreciate your help.

I have 17in cup wheels on my 95 993 C2. I want to buy some 18in wheels/tires, but as soon as I put them on I fall farther down the slope with new suspension and springs and steering brace to cure the SUV ride height.

My plan is to go with Koni FSD and M033 springs. Obviously the mojority cost is the Koni shocks. My question is do I need to replace my stock Monroe shocks? I only have 28k on them. How do I tell if they are shot or still good?

Appreciate the response. I have already talked to Darin at FD Motorsports and forgot to ask and not assuming he is online.

Thanks
Tony
Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt the stock monroes would last very long with the new springs even if they are still good. Id replace everything at once and start fresh. Have you looked at bilstein hds over the konis?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Spidey 993

Originally Posted by ryano
I doubt the stock monroes would last very long with the new springs even if they are still good. Id replace everything at once and start fresh. Have you looked at bilstein hds over the konis?
Thanks Ryan. Looks like the Koni + M033 are about $1130 and $391 respectively. Gerts has bilstein + h&r springs for $1360 US. Little cheaper but I've been hearing mumblings about harsher ride.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:22 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

It will be a little bit harsher than stock but IMO it's not all that rough. I was actually expecting a rougher ride due to the comments here. If you want a more oem like ride you might look into the m033 and hds. I have heard the h&rs are as rough as the m030s

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Thanks Ryan. Looks like the Koni + M033 are about $1130 and $391 respectively. Gerts has bilstein + h&r springs for $1360 US. Little cheaper but I've been hearing mumblings about harsher ride.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your monroes are problably already history. They tend to die early. Consider some PSS10s or KWs...Darin sells both. Although the FSDs are not bad (had them on a 06 GTI and BMW 330) the adjustable set up is great. I know I know...it costs more. But if you can...
Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some have found that M030s and Bilsteins actually yield a smoother ride than that provided by failing Monroes. (Not saying that yours are failing, but someday they certainly will.) I went that way and have no complaints about ride comfort. The handling benefits over the stock setup are huge. Just a thought.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

I just had my suspension done several weeks ago, and the difference is ..... WOW! I went with M030/HD. The ride is more firm but in no way harsh. Actually I was expecting a much harsher ride than it really is. I heard that FSD and M033 lowers the same but rides a little softer. Gert had the best price at the time.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Spidey 993

You guys are making me re-think Bilstein + M033. For the extra drop and maybe softer ride. Same price on Gerts for either Koni or Bilstein...hmmm....
Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

+1
Mine feels about the same with the M030 as they did with the shot Monroes.

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Some have found that M030s and Bilsteins actually yield a smoother ride than that provided by failing Monroes. (Not saying that yours are failing, but someday they certainly will.) I went that way and have no complaints about ride comfort. The handling benefits over the stock setup are huge. Just a thought.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
GaryB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony: last year I put in the Koni FSD shocks with ROW 029 springs (similar to 033 but not quite as low).
I couldn't be happier with the combo. Like you I had concerns about the Bilsteins, and tho I know that
suspension is somewhat subjective, I think the Koni FSD shocks are perfect for a primarily street driver.

The best advice I received was from Steve Weiner who advised me to spend some time staring at myself
in a mirror and really be honest with myself about the kind of driver I am.

Gary
Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony, I think HD bilsteins and mo33 springs are a mismatch. Probably a better match with mo30 springs. Your car can be set at row specs with the koni fsd/mo33. Hope the suspension experts will chime in. Mike
Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Spidey 993

Originally Posted by GaryB
Tony: last year I put in the Koni FSD shocks with ROW 029 springs (similar to 033 but not quite as low).
I couldn't be happier with the combo. Like you I had concerns about the Bilsteins, and tho I know that
suspension is somewhat subjective, I think the Koni FSD shocks are perfect for a primarily street driver.

The best advice I received was from Steve Weiner who advised me to spend some time staring at myself
in a mirror and really be honest with myself about the kind of driver I am.

Gary
Thanks Gary. Yes, I am a daily driver and proud of it! Seriously, to your point, that is why Im not chasing the PSS10 or M030 route. I want an improved right, soft and lower to not embarrass myself with the SUV height, but low enough to slightly above tire height.

Originally Posted by Mike Pezely
Tony, I think HD bilsteins and mo33 springs are a mismatch. Probably a better match with mo30 springs. Your car can be set at row specs with the koni fsd/mo33. Hope the suspension experts will chime in. Mike
Hmmmm...interesting point on the mismatch. I would like to hear/see more. Does anyone have a picture of his/her car at Koni FSD/M033 height would be very helpful?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys may want to keep in mind that Koni USA will only warranty shocks bought through an authorized US or Canadian Distributor.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Pezely
Listen to this man
Old 02-04-2011, 02:21 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone chosen the ROW M030 and new factory Monroes? This is the way Porsche intended it to be and I heard a rumor they have some pretty good engineers in Stuttgart. I realize the two limitations are you can't lower below ROW height and secondly they wear out after 30-50k, depending on driving and road conditions. What I haven't seen are comments as to the quality of this setup, as compared to the HD's (of which there are many ranging from pro to con).

I would also welcome comments from some of our European counterparts. It is my understanding that for street usage in Europe, this factory setup is much preferred and is used by most.

Quick Reply: Noob question on shocks and springs