Sponsored by:

Noob question on shocks and springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Some have found that M030s and Bilsteins actually yield a smoother ride than that provided by failing Monroes. (Not saying that yours are failing, but someday they certainly will.) I went that way and have no complaints about ride comfort. The handling benefits over the stock setup are huge. Just a thought.
+993
My car with the M030 and HDs rides better that the old stock crap. I didn't do the M030 sway bars however.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Has anyone chosen the ROW M030 and new factory Monroes? This is the way Porsche intended it to be and I heard a rumor they have some pretty good engineers in Stuttgart. I realize the two limitations are you can't lower below ROW height and secondly they wear out after 30-50k, depending on driving and road conditions. What I haven't seen are comments as to the quality of this setup, as compared to the HD's (of which there are many ranging from pro to con).

I would also welcome comments from some of our European counterparts. It is my understanding that for street usage in Europe, this factory setup is much preferred and is used by most.
I just got my Euro M030 kit from FD Motorsports last night it should be installed in a couple of weeks. My car has the US M030, & my shocks are Boge, not Monroe's. Bilstein HD's are way overdampend for my taste, & roads. I got the "kit" for the price of the HD's.

My reason for the switch is PCA Auto-X, I can't "upgrade" things (stock class), but factory parts are OK. I'm also planning on getting some NB 18 TT wheels.

My thought were the new Monroes will last 4-6 years, by then this will most likely not be my DD & I will not longer be running stock.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

tjeff993 -
In late 2001 my USA MY98 993C2S with 20K miles had the ROW 033 springs fitted including fresh new Monroe’s at the time. 10 years and 35K + miles later and the OEM Monroe’s suite my weekend sometimes daily driving. This summer or next the 993 will get a new set of the Koni FSD units - only because there that good.
(The M033 spring was the Euro standard fitment to the ’97 & ’98 C2S coupes)

Edit: so true, I'm rolling on the stock Porsche Cup II 17" wheels mit Michelin PS2s.
see post #19.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 02-04-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Tony,

You will probably pick up much more harshness from the move up to 18" wheels then from a decent suspension system. My first impression of my recently acquired 993 with the PSS9 setup was that the ride was very firm. But, after driving it a bit, what I misjudged as firmness is really the lack of sloppiness of the suspension. The PSS9is set at the softest setting, and I think that using the setup as a daily driver will be just fine. Tires make a huge difference though!

I had Dunlop run flats on my BMW which rode extremely harsh.....but, handled well. I replaced them with Conti Extreme Contac DWS tires. I sacrificed a little bit in handling, since the Conti's have more flexible sidewalls than the run flats.......but, the comfort of the ride changed tremendously. Noise also was eliminated as a concern.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:01 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From previous experience, the stock setup never did these cars justice... IMHO, the stock Monroes even at low mileage were marginal at best.

I'm currently running Bilstein HDs with H&R springs, stock bars and stock 17" cups. Other than the the occasional sharp bump, the car is extremely smooth on the road. With good performance tires and an aggressive alignment this setup is also very capable for the occasional DE, but there are much better (and less road worthy) setups if you want to get serious at the track.

As far as 18" wheels, they may provide additional performance on the track, but the trade off is a harsher ride on the street.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Spidey 993

Thanks guys for the responses on your opinions and experience.
It's been extremely helpful. I also have been working with
Darin at FD Motorsports and I can't say enough good things
about his knowledge and just willingness to help.

Tony

Last edited by Spidey 993; 02-05-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:06 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Thanks guys for the responses on your opinions and experience.
It's been extremely helpful. I also have been working with
Darin at FD Motorsports and I can't say enough good things
about his knowledge and just willingness to help.

Tony
+1 ^^^ I just got a boatload of parts from Darin. That's on top of the Bilsteins and exhaust system he sold me last year! One of the finest.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

M033 and Bilstein HDs are not a mismatch.
The combo is a good one for street. More forgiving on public roads.

Installed them on numerous 993s and have them on my cab. Perfect for how I use the car. Spirited street.

Quick Reply: Noob question on shocks and springs