Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Gotta love California (yeah, sorta OT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gotta love California (yeah, sorta OT)

So I load up the car this morning with the skis on top for a couple of days skiing, then on the weekend I'll head over to Thunderhill. (Though what I'll do on track will be with the yellow car.) 600 total driving miles between all venues. CA may be terminally screwed up, but I'm not sure where else you can get all this in with minimal driving time.

Sorry, no snow pictures this trip either. Weather has been so warm I pulled the snow tires off. 25-50F up in the Sierras the next couple of days, probably mid-60s when I get to the track.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seattle comes pretty close. Ski one day, kayak on salt water the next, track day on the third. Drive less than 200 miles.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 PM
jhale
Pro

Sounds like a normal weekend for me in CO (except the track part). Not many places in the world that you can ski for the morning and 55 minutes later being playing golf! Gotta love it. Enjoy!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Well, subtract 250 miles if I lived here at my mom's in the Sacramento area.

Technically, I guess if you lived in Redding you could go 60 miles in either direction for skiing and track. But skiing on Mt. Shasta is.......uh.......I guess you could say you're skiing.

Can you get mid-60's at the track there during the winter? (Or Portland, Utah, or Denver which are the only other areas I can think of offhand.)
Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

It ain't mid-60's in Denver right now...wasn't bad today, but it wasn't the 70's we've had in SD lately.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 PM
jhale
Pro

It ain't mid-60's in Denver right now...wasn't bad today, but it wasn't the 70's we've had in SD lately.
Nope.. but forecast shows promising temps the next two days... Coming from NYC, I'll take this any day!
http://www.9news.com/weather/default.aspx
Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhale
Sounds like a normal weekend for me in CO (except the track part). Not many places in the world that you can ski for the morning and 55 minutes later being playing golf! Gotta love it. Enjoy!!!
I lived in Denver for twenty years, way back when, and I don't remember anyone golfing in the winter. It was way too cold. Must be the climate change.

We are lucky to have skiing 40 km from our house. Interest in skiing subsides in late April because people are more interested in gardening, golf, softball, tennis etc. Last year they opened a few runs for those still interested in skiing later in the year. I believe that was on Father's Day.

We are fortunate to live on the ocean so kayaking and boating are readily accessable. But we don't have a track anywhere close. The two closest tracks are in the Vancouver area and Seattle International Raceway. And they are a PIA to get to.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

there is one small cute place where you can ski (2500 meters/8500 ft) whilst watching the mediterranean sea.
And for Aprés-ski in the afternoon, you drive down to the coast (25 km distance), and you swim in a 22 degrees celcius water.
Attached Images  

Last edited by geolab; 01-27-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MDamen
Seattle comes pretty close. Ski one day, kayak on salt water the next, track day on the third. Drive less than 200 miles.
When I was in college we used to drive to Mammoth in the spring, ski in the AM, then drive down to Bishop and play 9 holes of gold in the PM.

typically, the spring conditions weren't great, as it was icy moving to slushy and Bishop ain't the greatest golf course, but not many people can say they have snow skied and a round of golf in the same day.

some of the spring sites in Mammoth are worthy of the IHI OT variety however.

I hope to introduce my son to that feature of spring skiing/snowboarding in a few months.
Attached Images    
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Can you get mid-60's at the track there during the winter? (Or Portland, Utah, or Denver which are the only other areas I can think of offhand.)
It was 70 here in Salt Lake City Monday and Tuesday ... 35 on Monday and 35 on Tuesday. People do golf here in the winter but they are crazy. We occasionally get out on the track in the winter but it's not much fun running with the heat on full blast and huddling around a heater in the garage when not on the track. There are 9 excellent ski areas within an hour of my house though.

I'm going to So CA in a couple weeks to get out on the bicycle a couple days. I consider moving there about once a year (winter). But a 50% increase in salary doesn't sound like much with a 200% increase in home price.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

+1 for the Pacific NW!!! I keep looking for the skiing here in south Texas (NOT!!!)
Old 01-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MDamen
Plus we are only a couple of hours from another country! Only a couple of hours we can hit, a rain forest, a desert, go form uber urban to "where the hell am I"

Sadly, our tracks SUCK compared to CA tracks.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Plus we are only a couple of hours from another country!
Same with SoCal, 'cept I won't be going there until the drug war calms down to a reasonable level. I used to go to Baja all the time. San Felipe has 75+ degree on the Sea of Cortez year-round. Fresh lobster in Puerto Nuevo.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
Same with SoCal, 'cept I won't be going there until the drug war calms down to a reasonable level. I used to go to Baja all the time. San Felipe has 75+ degree on the Sea of Cortez year-round. Fresh lobster in Puerto Nuevo.
OTOH, the current situation down there keeps the crowds away. We went to San Felipe last 4th and there were maybe 4 other people within 4 miles of us.

temps were ~110F
Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Not sure where to jump back in here after Kika's photos. BUT.........I'm anticipating similar tomorrow at Sugar Bowl. I was absolutely overheated this afternoon. If there was a golf course at the base lodge (or maybe if I had a season pass to Northstar), I could have kicked off my boots and laced up my golf shoes and traded poles for a putter. It was absolutely a cooler feeling in the late afternoon last Thursday playing golf in Phoenix than boarding today.

(Yes, ski in the AM, with the free rental I check out a board in the PM. Still a beginner at only my fifth try, and took an NFL lineman-into-an-unprotected QB type blow to the head on a fall. Yes, wearing a helmet. My rollover ride-a-long last November at Thunderhill in the student's car is now the second most severe head knock I've ever experienced.)

Looks to be about 65 at the track Saturday, may be some rain rolling in Sunday for the race techniques school they're putting on for the rookies/intermediates.

Quick Reply: Gotta love California (yeah, sorta OT)