Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

This is what NOT tightening your droplink mount tight enough looks like.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:37 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This is what NOT tightening your droplink mount tight enough looks like.

Notice the rotated mount/hanging droplink and yes.... the bent upper control arm

I guess the mount rotated and then over a bump the suspension compressed where the droplink mount met the control arm. I talked to Darin and he said that if tightened correctly these should not move. So I can put the new arm in have the mount/collar tightened to hell.... or bite the bullet and pull the suspension apart to add locking collars. The head mechanic at the dealer was telling me a lower collar wouldnt allow you do have a weight bias (or something like that) and recommended if i was going to add collars I should order 4 more and have the setup like the Pss9s did (see attached). Does this make sense? Locking collars above and below the mount as well as a set for the spring perch? How is that really any different that just adding one at the bottom?

I guess I chalk it up to a learning curve....
Attached Images   

Last edited by ryano; 01-21-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano
I guess the mount rotated...
After the link broke, I take it. Could it rotate with the link attached?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

I think the way I understand it - as it is rotating the link pops off. Sucks considering I was getting the car aligned and now the tab will be quite a bit more
Originally Posted by IXLR8
After the link broke, I take it. Could it rotate with the link attached?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ryano,

I have PSS9 and no extra lock collar, I triple checked the alignment of the drop link to the shock body and then tightened with a brass drift and a hammer, then marked the collar to the mount with a sharpie and constantly checked for movement over the last year. Everything stayed where it was after some pretty spirited driving. I don't think you will need to add extra lock collars if they are installed and tightened correctly.

Also I think I have some extra KT links at home (your bent control arm), if you have not replaced yours yet I can check to see what I have later tonight.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

I have an idea that it wasnt tightened enough and its my fault. I ordered a new dealer part but if you have a spare I would be interesting in buying that. PM me once you look. thanks!

Originally Posted by rsr91128
ryano,

I have PSS9 and no extra lock collar, I triple checked the alignment of the drop link to the shock body and then tightened with a brass drift and a hammer, then marked the collar to the mount with a sharpie and constantly checked for movement over the last year. Everything stayed where it was after some pretty spirited driving. I don't think you will need to add extra lock collars if they are installed and tightened correctly.

Also I think I have some extra KT links at home (your bent control arm), if you have not replaced yours yet I can check to see what I have later tonight.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:47 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 277 Posts

Ryano, did you just happen to look and noticed it was broken or you noticed a change in the handling?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

I think the way I understand it - as it is rotating the link pops off.
Well those collars would have to be damn tight considering the surface area, for them not to rotate.

Poor design in my opinion. Something that should not rotate should be keyed.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

I had no idea. I have it in the shop for alignment and they called me and told me to come take a look at it.

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Ryano, did you just happen to look and noticed it was broken or you noticed a change in the handling?
I agree. Of course I did a TON of research for the DIY install instructions, but never saw the post about the 2nd set of collars till after it was done

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Well those collars would have to be damn tight considering the surface area, for them not to rotate.

Poor design in my opinion. Something that should not rotate should be keyed.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing just happened to me. Doh.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

That sucks... sorry it happened.

(What Erik said ^^^^)
Design is fine IF installed in the proper orientation and tight. That is the trick
A lot of 993s running around out there without an extra lock ring.
I agree, keyed would be better... or a set screw like KW uses.
Silly Germans
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
That sucks... sorry it happened.

(What Erik said ^^^^)
Design is fine IF installed in the proper orientation and tight. That is the trick
A lot of 993s running around out there without an extra lock ring.
I agree, keyed would be better... or a set screw like KW uses.
Silly Germans
+993, It all comes down to Installation, If the Link Bracket is not aligned it receive a force that will rotate it, and then break the link. aligned right and one lock ring it will last. Mine was like this for a number of years and at least 30 track days a year, and a very rough track without a problem.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

good to know... so for proper installation the droplinks need to be completely vertical under load?

thanks guys

Originally Posted by trophy
+993, It all comes down to Installation, If the Link Bracket is not aligned it receive a force that will rotate it, and then break the link. aligned right and one lock ring it will last. Mine was like this for a number of years and at least 30 track days a year, and a very rough track without a problem.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Much ado about drop links.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No extra collar needed, but I always get them tight by hand, then take a hammer and punch and give the collar a good smack for extra tightness. Haven't ever had one come loose. I've done lots.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

good to know... so for proper installation the droplinks need to be completely vertical under load?

thanks guys
Yes, and as per PorscheDoc, hammer and punch to snug it up....

Quick Reply: This is what NOT tightening your droplink mount tight enough looks like.